Thread: прет/прёт

JPX
    Новичок

прет/прёт

I've noticed this word popping up here and there, but it doesn't appear in dictionaries. I've seen it mostly in Russian rap songs, like Kasta's "это прет." Also, what's the difference between прет and прёт? I've seen this word spelled both ways, and it's apparently pronounced as прёт either way. I've seen е and ё used interchangeably in a number of words and I'm scratching my head as to what the difference is. I haven't found any explanations of this on the Internet, but I once stumbled upon a discussion over whether a word should be spelled with a е or a ё because the vowel in questions was part of a suffix or something like that, so there must be some rule to it. Sorry if I've been a bit n00bish on this forum.

Try peretj
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

First, it is officially allowed to write е instead of ё unless the meaning of the word changes (like все and всё). Still, you pronounce ё.
    There are some who say that the letter ё should be banned from the alphabet, but personally I don't think it's a good idea.
    As for the прёт - it's a 3rd person singular from переть.
    Literally it means 'to apply pressure' or something like that (consider напор, напирать).
    You can find this word in an idiom 'переть напролом' (to press through, to attack head on).
    Смотри, куда прёшь! - Watch, where you're goind / driving (you idiot!) 'idiot' is usually implied

There is also a slang meaning:
    Originally, I think this came from drug addicts. When he's saying 'меня прёт' this means 'I'm high', but later it became more widespread and
    Меня прёт с этой музыки (Я прусь с этого фильма) - I like this music very much / I like this movie (I'm high from this music/movie).
    Send me a PM if you need me.

JPX
    Новичок
    Oh, that explains why it's not in dictionaries! I was assuming it was a noun. I hope the letter ё doesn't disappear from the language, it's one of my favorites!

Ё came into Russian from French by a whim of one noble woman.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by JPX View Post
    I've noticed this word popping up here and there, but it doesn't appear in dictionaries. I've seen it mostly in Russian rap songs, like Kasta's "это прет." Also, what's the difference between прет and прёт? I've seen this word spelled both ways, and it's apparently pronounced as прёт either way. I've seen е and ё used interchangeably in a number of words and I'm scratching my head as to what the difference is. I haven't found any explanations of this on the Internet, but I once stumbled upon a discussion over whether a word should be spelled with a е or a ё because the vowel in questions was part of a suffix or something like that, so there must be some rule to it. Sorry if I've been a bit n00bish on this forum.
    Slang, vulgar expression. Doesn`t matter if "Е" or "Ё" is used.

1. To go through obstacles like train\elephant\tank\rocket (Often: "Куда прешь?" = Watch where you are going, asshole... or "Во прет как танк! К успеху идет!" = He\she pursuing a big success)

2. To feel cool ("Меня прёт эта песня" = That song makes me feel good)

3. To fcuk someone (= have sex)

Салтыкова клёвая...
    Прёшь её, нет?!
    А-ха-ха-ха...

Alexei Balabanov`s criminal drama film, Brat -2 (Brother - 2). A thug is describing his feelings about russian pop-singer Irina Saltykova (http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%...B2%D0%BD%D0%B0) to her in-movie bodyguard.

4. To realize \ find out something (only if used like "Допирать \ допереть). Не могу допереть, какой здесь ответ = Can`t find the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil View Post
    First, it is officially allowed to write е instead of ё unless the meaning of the word changes (like все and всё).
    Moreover, it is officially allowed to write е instead of ё even when the meaning of the word changes (все is commonly used instead of всё).
    Please correct my English