Thread: отыскалась?

отыскалась?

Здрaвствуйте,

Пожалуйста переведёшь "отыскалась."

Спасќбо!

I'm working on a semester project for my college. I'm not majoring or well-learned in Russian in anyway, so a lot of this is walking into the language blind. While translating Crime and Punishment, I ran into a few words that I could not translate. Could someone please help me translate the word "отыскалась" and give me any information they know about this particular word? Thank you!

Paul G.
    Вещь отыскалась = The thing turned up (feminine gender)
    It means something was found. In Russian it sounds as if something is found itself.

Завсегдатай
    It's a verb "отыскиваться" (to be found, to turn up), but in Past tense, feminine.
    The "-ся" ending means that this is a reflexive verb:
    Reflexive verbs in Russian are used to indicate the concept of ‘self’. For example ‘I dressed myself’. Notice in this sentence that the subject and the object are actually the same person.
    When this happens in English we use the word ‘-self’, or simply omit the object. In Russian you simply add “ся” or “сь” to the verb. You can think of this as being a short way to write “себя” (self).
    The reflexive form is also used for intransitive verbs. Intransitive verbs are those verbs which have a subject, but no object.
    So if you drop "-ся" you get the verb "отыскивать" (to find, to seek out) which is more likely to be found in a small dictionary.

These little quirks make Russian fun in a way that you sometimes can use a one word sentence, that gives you more info than it probably would in English.
    For example you can exclaim "Отыскалась!", and it's obvious that something or someone of feminine gender has been found. Or you can say: "Отыскала!", and it means that someone/-thing of feminine gender has found something of unknown gender. (If you are curious for masculine it would be "отыскался" and "отыскал" correspondingly).

kvs
    Почётный участник
    Легче для понимания и грамотнее на практике будет если заменить слово отыскалась на слово нашлась

Спасќбо!
    СПАСИБО!