Thread: Крыльце- Porch?

Подающий надежды оратор

Крыльце- Porch?

I used the word веранда for many years until I discoved this one. But since крыльце is probably related to "roof" I am leary.
    Does one sit "on the porch" на крыльце, like we say in English? Or would that sound like saying "on the little roof of the porch"?

Is this a still an appropriate word for porch, hopefully not archaic or obsolete?

But since крыльце is probably related to "roof" I am leary.
    1. КрыльцО
    2. Крыльцо- потому что крытое, имеет крышу (наружная крытая пристройка при входе в дом. Если дверной проем расположен высоко, то имеет также лестницу.)
    3. на крыльце (предложный падеж) - совершенно верно.
    Контекст - (от лат. contextus - соединение - связь), относительно законченный отрывок письменной или устной речи (текста), в пределах которого наиболее точно выявляется значение отдельных входящих в него слов, выражений и т. п.

Старший оракул
    Сидит на крыльце:

Сидит на веранде:

Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

Властелин
    Due to differences in types of houses in Russia and elsewhere it's hard to find exact equivalents.
    A really small porch without seats would be OK to call a крыльцо (which suggests there is hardly ever space for sitting, it's the framed area under the roof just before the entrance, sometimes for decorative purposes rather than practical use, but it can be necessary part of the entrance if it's above the ground). Etymologically, it relates to "крыло" (wing).
    Веранда, on the other hand, suggests the area is bigger, sometimes the length of the building itself (usually half the building length) and it can be used for leisure purposes outside (for several people, because it's the size of a small room). It seems that a larger porch with enough space for a couple of benches might be called a веранда.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I am expanding the крыльцо on my house so I have more room for others to join me when I am cooking on the barbeque. I guess that will then make it a веранда, like many American homes have for entertaining. It will not be large, and after I expand it part of it will not have a covering (smoke will dissipate better) so here we have a "deck" which forces that most hated "borrowing" дек? Yuk. I have noticed, watching Russian television, that some Russians seem to be intrigued that deck idea--Мужской канал, строительство/дача, такие.

Властелин
    There is a trend of similar borrowings which is widely discussed in some circles that see the problem. The recent borrowing in commercials I have noticed is таун-хаус.