Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By iCake
  • 1 Post By diogen_
  • 1 Post By it-ogo
  • 1 Post By Crocodile

Thread: добиваться и достигать

добиваться и достигать

Я нашёл эти глаголы в словари, но мне не удалось понять их различие.
    Два глагола сочетаются с Родительным падежом.
    Глагол достигать создаёт мне впечатление совершения одной попытки (i.e. fullfilment of an action).
    Например: Он достигнул профессиональная успеха = He achieved professional success (His efforts have led to professional success - The success now is achieved).
    Например: Она достигнула своих целей = She achieved to reach her aims.
    Есть ещё значение: reach (in a sense of coming to particular point of time). Например мой дядушка достигнул глубокой старости = My grandfather reached deep old years.
    По-моему достигать/достигнуть или достичь точный синоним удаваться/удаться разницею что достигать используется с существительным, но удаваться с глаголом.
    С другой стороны добиваться создаёт мне впечатление незавершённого процесса (i.e. an ongoing process of achieving something).
    Например: он добивается решения проблеммы = He is seeking the solution (or the achievement of the solution) of the problem (i.e. the problem is not solved).
    Например: он добивается успеха = He strives for succes (Based on my understaning in English strive is a synonum of seeking).

Моя проблема, что я нашёл предложение: Он добился успеха. So I concluded that there is no difference between this expressions and Он достигнул успеха.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Antonio1986

You had a good logic in that post but it's not really about that.

Both достигать and добиваться are not completed actions just because they're imperfective verbs but they also have perfective pairs to them - достигнуть and добиться - these are completed actions.

Yes, добиться and достигнуть are very very similar when used in the sense of achieve but there is a subtle difference though.

добиться (битва - battle) - this one emphasises that it wasn't easy for you at all to achieve something, that you went through a battle, struggle to get what you want

достигнуть - doesn't focus on what you went through to achieve what you wanted, it just states the fact of achieving

I hope this helps
    Antonio1986 and impulse like this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Моя проблема, что я нашёл предложение: Он добился успеха. So I concluded that there is no difference between this expressions and Он достигнул успеха.
    You can also say “Он достиг успеха.” Грамота.ру (http://www.gramota.ru/spravka/trudnosti/36_183) states that these sentences are equally correct but my internal voice whispers me that the latter sounds a little bit better.
    Antonio1986 likes this.

A good translation of достигать/достичь(достигнуть) is "to reach". Their sets of meanings are almost coincide.

I'd say that достигать means that the goal or target is reached after some progressive motion towards it, and добиваться implies some concious efforts from the subject.

And yes, I like "достичь" more than "достигнуть" as well.

Examples when those verbs are NOT interchangeable:

Температура достигла 40 градусов.
    Адвокат добился оправдания подзащитного.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Here's my take on it:

добился => achieved
    достигнул => reached

Still достижение = achievement !
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Почтенный гражданин
    Вот что говорит этимологически словарь русского языка по поводу слова "достигать":
    ДОСТИГАТЬ. Заимств. из ст.-сл. яз. Преф. производное от стигати, суф. образования от той же основы, что и стезя, стежка, греч. steichō "иду, поднимаюсь", нем. steigen "подниматься, ступать" и т. д. Исходно — "догонять, преследовать".

Слово "добиваться" происходит от той же основы, что и слова "бить", "битва". Таким образом "добиваться" - значит бороться, сражаться для достижения результата.

Кстати, мы не говорим "достигнул", "достигнула", мы говорим "достиг", "достигла"