Завсегдатай
    Everything he writes is cr@p.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: translation pls

Quote Originally Posted by NaxreQ
    hernia vsio chto on pishet.

i think it's something bad but so what

thanks in advance
    @alexei: is it - ерунды, всё что он пишет ?

Завсегдатай
    майк

ерунда (it's uncountable)

Yes, it's kind of "ерунда", but "херня" is more rude word. I think "bull$hit" is the closest word.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by alexei
    майк

ерунда (it's uncountable)

Yes, it's kind of "ерунда", but "херня" is more rude word. I think "bull$hit" is the closest word.
    Ah! херня is not in my Lingvo dictionary

Завсегдатай
    WHERE DO ALL YOU PEOPLE GET LINGVO ?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    майк
    Russians usually don't include rude words in dictionaries. I know only one dictionary for Palm OS which has rude words. Perhaps there's an additional dictionary for Lingvo with this kind of words.

dogboy
    You can use one of online versions of Lingvo till you buy it
    http://www.lingvo.ru/lingvo/
    http://lingvo.yandex.ru/

To ALL: why do you prefer Lingvo to Multilex?
    http://online.multilex.ru/

Почтенный гражданин
    @dogboy: Check these out...
    www.lingvoda.ru/index.asp
    www.abbyy.ru - It looks like you can only buy Lingvo 9.0 if you're in Russia: but my Russian is useless, there may be a way.

майк
    Russians usually don't include rude words in dictionaries. I know only one dictionary for Palm OS which has rude words. Perhaps there's an additional dictionary for Lingvo with this kind of words.
    OK, I'll have a search.

To ALL: why do you prefer Lingvo to Multilex?
    http://online.multilex.ru/
    Because a friend just happened to be in Moscow (I think in www.biblio-globus.ru) and it costs only $15

Lingvo is not expensive; quick; as far as I can tell, accurate. The best bit is that you can highlight any word(s) and use the fast keys [ALT]-C-C to launch Lingvo and check out the word(s). One big downside for me - NO STRESS INDICATION - http://online.multilex.ru is much better in this respect.

Lingvo does seem to be comprehensive (I'm not really one to judge). For example with писать you get pretty much all the forms, including я пишу и я писаю indirectly Lingvo makes it clear which one is which according to definitions......but only indirectly!

Regarding http://online.multilex.ru, I don't know if you can buy this online, and if you can, is it safe to do so. But МультиЛекс 3.5 Новый Большой англо-русский словарь (НБАРС) looks great.

If anyone can post a FAQ about acquiring electronic English - Russian Dictionary for PC, with some information about purchase options that would be top banana

Завсегдатай
    Dogboy: A dear friend of mine in Ukraine sent it to me.

The only thing about Lingvo is that it is intended for Russians. As such, there are no stress markings nor printed "ё." There is a handy feature which allows you to hear the pronunciation of English words, but unfortunately there are no Russian sound clips.

About buying Lingvo, you can buy it outside of Russia for $40(but that's the standard version only, not the one with additional German, French, Italian, and Spanish dictionaries). Just visit ABBYY USA's website: http://www.abbyyusa.com/

About why I don't use Multilex, I never heard of it, and I already use Lingvo. Besides that, I hate using internet dictionaries, because I use a 56k and it's simply inconvenient to connect to the net every time I want to look a word up. Besides that, I just love highlighting a word, tapping a key, and getting the translation. However, if someone would like to send me it as a gift, I would be very appreciative

Завсегдатай
    майк
    I'm interested in your opinions because I used Lingvo a lot myself for a long time until I've started to use monolingual dictionaries. Now I use it not so often. And since I started using monolingual dictionaries, I've started noticing inaccuracies or absence of some meanings in Lingvo (can't give an example right away though). That's why I started to use Multilex. And it seems more accurate to me. I'm not a linguist, so it's just my humble opinion.

Pravit
    You can buy Multilex as well as you bought Lingvo and use it on your PC. I just gave the links to the online versions of the dictionaries.

Завсегдатай
    alexei, I did not buy Lingvo, a friend sent it to me Right now I'm very content with it. But I'll take a look at Multilex sometime.

Завсегдатай
    I use both Multilex 2.0 and Lingvo (and Multitrans, too). Both dictionaries have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Multilex:
    The greatest advantage is the main dictionary it is based on.
    Another advantage is that it is capable to search for phrases and multiple words.
    Disadvantages:
    1) The dictionaries are "fixed". I.e. they licensed a number of dictionaries and cannot modify and update them.
    2) Limited number of specialized dictionaries.
    3) Way too expensive.

Lingvo:
    Advantages:
    1) Great number of specialized dictionaries, including custom-made
    2) One can easily make and add a new dictionary.
    3) Dictionaries are updated by Lingvo team on a regular basis; besides, you can easily add your own definitions (cards)
    4) Great online community; you can ask your peers for a definition of a word that is missing in Lingvo and/or notify the Lingvo team about missing words/translations.

Disadvantages: quite a few errors in the translations, especially in technical terms; some translations are missing, too (but Multilex has incomplete and obsolete translations as well).

And, of course, once you have mastered the basics of a langugage, you should consider using a monolingial dictionary or dictionaries of that language. Biligual/multilingual dictionaries are a valuable tool for a beginner or for a translator, but if you want to understand what you read, you need a dictionary that provides definitions rather then translations.
    I have at least half a dozen English dictionaries installed on my box, including Longman, Collins Cobuild, 2 versions of Merriam Webster etc.

Завсегдатай
    translations.nm.ru
    Thanks for your detailed comparsion. According it and your nick, I guess you're a proffessional translator? Actually I use both dictionaries (Lingvo and Miltilex) now. And as you said, I use them when I want to find a word translation.

Pravit
    Oh, I haven't noticed that you didn't buy it. Perhaps somebody will present you Multilex too :)