Thread: Translation Help

Новичок

Translation Help

I've started using the Ровесники Online program and I'm stumbling right out of the gate. Could someone please help me understand this?

Вот и отзвенел первый школьный звонок. А с ним начался и наш новый учебный год.

I think I get all the words, but I'm having a problem getting it to make sense. I come up with something like:

Here stopped ringing the first school bell. And with us begins our new school year.

Could someone correct this for me?

Thanks,
    Ed

Завсегдатай
    C'mon, can't you guess what it means? The translation is something like "And (then) the schoolbell stopped ringing and with it began our first school year." The вот does not mean "here" in this context, in this kind of situation it kind of gives a feel of immediacy to it.

Завсегдатай

Re: Translation Help

Quote Originally Posted by Эд
    And with us begins our new school year.
    "with it" (= "with the bell") rather than "with us". "ним" is the intrumental case of "он"

Новичок
    Thanks for the help. One last question: Pravit translates as "and with it began our first school year". But the word первых is in the first sentence. I thought первый школьный звонок would be something like "first school bell". Does this mean something special in Russian?

Thanks again.

Завсегдатай
    Yeah, I just missed the first one. And then the first school bell stopped ringing. It does not mean anything special as far as I know. But they have a thing called последний звонок(last bell), you can guess what that means.