Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iCake

Thread: tennis terminology

tennis terminology

Some expressions to use when I play with my russian friend tennis:
    - We should do some running to warm up.
    - I always do stretching before the game
    - We should start with exchanging some passes (i.e. I mean when we exchange balls / hits slowly in order to warm up)
    - Who will serve first?
    - Ok. The score is 15-15 deuce
    - The score was 40 - 40. You won a point. Now you have an advantage.
    - You hit the ball without leaving it to bounce (or to hit the ground first). It makes your shot more difficult.
    - F.ck! It was close.
    - That was a lucky hit!
    - I think it hit the line. It is in.
    - That ball is certainly out.
    - Ι didn't успеть to go back quickly in order to take a better position and hit the ball correctly.
    - Do you remember on which site I serve. It is left or right from the vertical line?
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

We should do some running to warm up - Надо побегать для разминки.
    I always do stretching before the game - Я всегда делаю упражнения на растяжку перед игрой.
    We should start with exchanging some passes (i.e. I mean when we exchange balls / hits slowly in order to warm up) - Давай мяч через сетку побросаем для разминки.
    Who will serve first? - Чья первая подача? (Кто первым подаёт?)
    Ok. The score is 15-15 deuce - Счет - пятнадцать пятнадцать - ровно.
    The score was 40 - 40. You won a point. Now you have an advantage. - Счет был сорок сорок. Ты выиграл прошлый розыгрыш, теперь у тебя больше.
    You hit the ball without leaving it to bounce (or to hit the ground first). It makes your shot more difficult. - Ты сделал удар слёта (or Ты ударил (по мячу) слёта). Такие удары сложно отбивать.
    That was a lucky hit! - Тебе просто повезло.
    I think it hit the line. It is in. - Мяч задел/зацепил линию. Мяч в поле.
    That ball is certainly out. - Мяч точно не попал в поле. (Or just это был аут! )
    Ι didn't успеть to go back quickly in order to take a better position and hit the ball correctly. - Я не успел занять верную позицию для хорошего удара.
    Do you remember on which site I serve. It is left or right from the vertical line? - Не помнишь, с какой стороны я подаю? Справа или слева?
    F.ck! It was close! - "Чёрт. Совсем чуточку не попал"; "А-а-а! Рядом! Рядом!"; "Почти!" etc...

A bit of Russian tennis for you here. When the score is even but not 40-40 we don't really call it a deuce. We usualy just say. Пятнадцать пятнадцать or Тридцать тридцать. The term deuce or ровно is practically reserved for 40-40. In this case you can just say --- Ровно.

When somebody has an advantage as in "Advantage - 40" situations. We say - больше. Ex: У меня/тебя больше. Шарапова - больше. Иванович - больше.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    We should do some running to warm up - Надо побегать для разминки.
    I always do stretching before the game - Я всегда делаю упражнения на растяжку перед игрой.
    We should start with exchanging some passes (i.e. I mean when we exchange balls / hits slowly in order to warm up) - Давай мяч через сетку побросаем для разминки.
    Who will serve first? - Чья первая подача? (Кто первым подаёт?)
    Ok. The score is 15-15 deuce - Счет - пятнадцать пятнадцать - ровно.
    The score was 40 - 40. You won a point. Now you have an advantage. - Счет был сорок сорок. Ты выиграл прошлый розыгрыш, теперь у тебя больше.
    You hit the ball without leaving it to bounce (or to hit the ground first). It makes your shot more difficult. - Ты сделал удар слёта (or Ты ударил (по мячу) слёта). Такие удары сложно отбивать.
    That was a lucky hit! - Тебе просто повезло.
    I think it hit the line. It is in. - Мяч задел/зацепил линию. Мяч в поле.
    That ball is certainly out. - Мяч точно не попал в поле. (Or just это был аут! )
    Ι didn't успеть to go back quickly in order to take a better position and hit the ball correctly. - Я не успел занять верную позицию для хорошего удара.
    Do you remember on which site I serve. It is left or right from the vertical line? - Не помнишь, с какой стороны я подаю? Справа или слева?
    F.ck! It was close! - "Чёрт. Совсем чуточку не попал"; "А-а-а! Рядом! Рядом!"; "Почти!" etc...

A bit of Russian tennis for you here. When the score is even but not 40-40 we don't really call it a deuce. We usualy just say. Пятнадцать пятнадцать or Тридцать тридцать. The term deuce or ровно is practically reserved for 40-40. In this case you can just say --- Ровно.

When somebody has an advantage as in "Advantage - 40" situations. We say - больше. Ex: У меня/тебя больше. Шарапова - больше. Иванович - больше.
    iCake!!!
    Спасибо!

- That was a nice shot!
    - You have repeated exactly the same good shot!
    - Very strong shot!

I suppose удар