Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By alexsms
  • 1 Post By alexsms

Thread: seaside

seaside

Extremely confused with this word.
    I have the following words: primorskii, na poberezh'e i and another word that I always forget but express the idea of seaside, I think priberzhennyi
    How I will say:
    1. Across the seaside road there are 5 hotels.
    2. This is a seaside home.
    3. The seaside area.

Also how I will say: This house is located on the heights outside Moscow. When I say heights I don't mean mountain. A height might be 100 meters from the seaside level. It just shows altitudinal difference from an area lower from it.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Побережье is the most close word (noun). Приморский, прибрежный are ajectives. Translation of your sentences:
    1. Вдоль прибрежной дороги расположено 5 гостиниц.
    2. Вот мой дом на побережье. (I added мой because you wrote home, not house).
    3. You can say just "побережье" or "местность на берегу моря".
    Also how I will say: This house is located on the heights outside Moscow. When I say heights I don't mean mountain. A height might be 100 meters from the seaside level. It just shows altitudinal difference from an area lower from it.
    Этот дом расположен на возвышенности в Подмосковье.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77 View Post
    1. Вдоль прибрежной дороги расположено 5 гостиниц.
    Why raspolozheno i net raspolozheny

Этот дом расположен на возвышенности в Подмосковье.
    How it will sound: eto dom raspolozhen na gornyx vysotax v Podmoskov'e.
    Ya imeiu v vidu chto: vysota i vozmyshennost' sinonimy?
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Властелин
    According to OALD, seaside - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

an area that is by the sea, especially one where people go for a day or a holiday/vacation

2. This is a seaside home. - Это дом на берегу (на побережье), but the context is that it's near the sea (i.e. берег моря), so Это дом на морском берегу (на морском побережье) are also OK.

(To Basil77, мой дом means the person OWNS it or LIVES there, but 'This is a seaside home' says nothing of the ownership or living there. You CAN use 'home' just to describe a дом. To quote Chicago Tribune, Understanding Different Types of Homes - chicagotribune.com)

A widely used phrase is 'seaside resort', in Russian it is морской курорт, or even курортный город (town near the sea).

So 'seaside' can translate differrently into Russian, but one has to express the idea that it is something in the vicinity of the sea, ocean, beach (as a rule, something man built such as road, home, hotel, resort, and usually in a vacation or leisure-like situation).
    The possible translations are морской, прибрежный, на берегу, на побережье.

3. The seaside area. - Прибрежная территория, there are also technical terms like Прибрежная зона, Прибрежная полоса (zone, area, strip), or Курортная зона (vacation area, usually in a seaside situation).
    fortheether likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    Why raspolozheno i net raspolozheny
    расположены could be used too. The difference is that in this case you make accent on these particular hotels, in my example hotels metioned as a part of the landscape.
    Ya imeiu v vidu chto: vysota i vozmyshennost' sinonimy?
    Горные высоты = mountain peaks
    Возвышенность = area that has higher altitude than neighbouring areas.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    Горные высоты means high in the mountains. So this doesn't apply to Moscow (in fact there are no mountains in this part of Russia).
    But if it's necessary to say that something is high in the mountains you can just say в горах. (This village is in the mountains. - Эта деревня находится в горах).
    Antonio1986 likes this.