Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian name for English first name "Grant"

Старший оракул
    Ha-ha, V, guess first is бокр animated ant who is бокрёнок.

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    What?
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

JJ
    Властелин
    "Глокая куздра штеко будланула бокра и курдячит бокрёнка."
    Quote Originally Posted by V
    Yeah, explain.
    Ok, look:
    1. Let's find out a subject and a predicate. Subject is "куздра" and predicates are "будланула" and "курдячит". Kуздра is female noun becouse its ending is "-a" and it has done something (будланула) and it is doing something (курдячит) to "бокра" and "бокрёнка" - this is genitive case then nominative case is "бокр" и "бокрёнок". It means that they are animal becouse suffix "-ёнок" in "бокрёнок" means "little" (бокр) and it uses only to animals (тигр - тигрёнок, кот - котёнок, слон - слонёнок).
    2. Куздра штеко будланула - "штеко" is adverb, becose it has "-o" ending like english adverbs have eding "-ly" (strongly, violently, heavily, greatly, badly).
    3. Глокая - this is not quit understandable word here. It may be an adjective - (злая - evil, ужасная - awful, зелёная - green), but also may be a participle (рычащая - roaring, воющая - howling).

Well, let's compile all above: Something female with some properties (like awful, green, howling or anything else) has done something to adult male animal and still doing something to his male baby. There are no russian roots in the words there but the main meaning of this sentence is understandable.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Завсегдатай
    so as, Матвей кербый could i pass off as a young russian man lookin for love with a young russian woman in the streets of moscow ? or is my name to foreign?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    so as, Матвей кербый could i pass off as a young russian man lookin for love with a young russian woman in the streets of moscow ? or is my name to foreign?
    Russians name never end "-ый". It is better for you to use your real name.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Старший оракул
    Well, you may imagine,for example, that there must exist such sutnames like Лютый, Добрый etc. Butmay you, Dogboy, would better use Кербов surname with usual -ов ending?

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    Well, you may imagine,for example, that there must exist such sutnames like Лютый, Добрый etc. Butmay you, Dogboy, would better use Кербов surname with usual -ов ending?
    You are right. But all of those surnames have got meanings in russian.

V
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    "Глокая куздра штеко будланула бокра и курдячит бокрёнка."
    Yeah, explain.
    Ok, look:
    1. Let's find out a subject and a predicate. Subject is "куздра" and predicates are "будланула" and "курдячит". Kуздра is female noun becouse its ending is "-a" and it has done something (будланула) and it is doing something (курдячит) to "бокра" and "бокрёнка" - this is genitive case then nominative case is "бокр" и "бокрёнок". It means that they are animal becouse suffix "-ёнок" in "бокрёнок" means "little" (бокр) and it uses only to animals (тигр - тигрёнок, кот - котёнок, слон - слонёнок).
    2. Куздра штеко будланула - "штеко" is adverb, becose it has "-o" ending like english adverbs have eding "-ly" (strongly, violently, heavily, greatly, badly).
    3. Глокая - this is not quit understandable word here. It may be an adjective - (злая - evil, ужасная - awful, зелёная - green), but also may be a participle (рычащая - roaring, воющая - howling).

Well, let's compile all above: Something female with some properties (like awful, green, howling or anything else) has done something to adult male animal and still doing something to his male baby. There are no russian roots in the words there but the main meaning of this sentence is understandable.
    Man,,,,
    Сюда нужно смотреть. И слушать, что я говорю.

Завсегдатай
    That is my real name... that is how you spell it in russian... what ifi said кербий ? or how would u translate Kerby. ?!
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

JJ
    Властелин
    That is my real name... that is how you spell it in russian... what ifi said кербий ? or how would u translate Kerby. ?!
    Jesus man, don't worry. Your name is Мэтт Керби. It's sounds good. Moscow gals will be crazy about you.

Завсегдатай
    that's alot of smilies. yea that's all i wanted to know. k thanks.

Почтенный гражданин
    Man,,,,
    It's not a hardcore still In Russian, one can say a complex sentence like that with only one root! But I can't show you, or else I will be banned here forever
    Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Man,,,,
    It's not a hardcore still In Russian, one can say a complex sentence like that with only one root! But I can't show you, or else I will be banned here forever
    I know what you mean and unfortunatly you're right that is impossiple to show that sentence here... But maybe Admin let us to show it certenly for educational propose only...

Почтенный гражданин
    But maybe Admin let us to show it certenly for educational propose only...
    By the way yes, I believe if we are studying language, we shouldn't be ashamed of using any words. The same way as it is normal to talk about corpses with medical students. It's a science, nothing more. Inappropriate use of some words may be abusive, not the use itself.

So let me join your plea and ask Admin to remove any word filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    By the way yes, I believe if we are studying language, we shouldn't be ashamed of using any words. The same way as it is normal to talk about corpses with medical students. It's a science, nothing more. Inappropriate use of some words may be abusive, not the use itself.

So let me join your plea and ask Admin to remove any word filters.
    I believe that one should first learn to speak correct and polite Russian. One doesn't need to know any swears and offensive words to do that. Would you ever swear in front of a small child learning a language? By the way, I do not filter all the bad words on this site. Some of them come through but I try keeping high starndars of usage of the Russian language on this forum overall.
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Завсегдатай
    yea, i agree, with alex, you don't really need to know the word xuy. but, if somone askes what it means, i supose they have a right to know. but you shouldn't be allowed to say Suck a D*, just because you are mad at somthing. i mean, in real life i swear all the time around old and young people, my parents, whoever, if a little kid shouldn't hear swear words then they shouldn't be around me. but there is a time and a plce for it, on this forum, i hardly ever ever ever swear.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    I believe that one should first learn to speak correct and polite Russian. One doesn't need to know any swears and offensive words to do that.
    To speak - yes, no doubt. It looks ridiculous when non-native speakers try to swear in Russian. However, first, they should understand it anyway; and second, it is not always offensive. 'Mat' is a unique phenomenon, it doesn't have a match in English (AFAIK, only Hungarian can compete with Russian in this sense) and need to be explained. 'Mat' is not a bunch of harsh words, it is something more, a system, a subculture. And this subculture is not marginal, every Russian knows it. I always disliked the false 'modesty' of our dictionaries; meanwhile, even professional philologists have to deal with 'mat'. Hopefully, I had a great teacher of Russian in 10-11th grade, a professional, who taught us it. Don't get me wrong, I never swear in front of people, but I regard 'mat' as very important part of the language.

Would you ever swear in front of a small child learning a language?
    I hope you understand it's not about swearing. I know how to introduce it carefully and gently. And, by the way, who is a small child here?

By the way, I do not filter all the bad words on this site. Some of them come through but I try keeping high starndars of usage of the Russian language on this forum overall.
    I didn't try to check the Russian filter, but the English one annoys me greatly. Don't be a fake purist. Those who don't have taste in using words won't speak good irrespective of whatever filter you use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12