Thread: pls translate this for me ...

Почётный участник

pls translate this for me ...

Dear, I am making good progress studying russian, although at this stage, I can read russian better than I can write russian. I hope everything is going well with you. Chat with you later ...

Почётный участник

Re: pls translate this for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnroman
    Dear, I am making good progress studying russian, although at this stage, I can read russian better than I can write russian. I hope everything is going well with you. Chat with you later ...
    Дорогая,я успешно учу русский, однако я лучше читаю,чем пишу сейчас. Надеюсь у тебя все хорошо.Скоро поговорим.
    Есть люди, в которых живет Бог. Есть люди, в которых живет дьявол. А есть люди, в которых живут только глисты. (Ф.Г.Раневская)

Почтенный гражданин

Re: pls translate this for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnroman
    Dear, I am making good progress studying russian,
    Not to harsh on you or anything...but you do recognize the ridiculousness in needing to have this sentence translated, right?

Ms L. -- "to harsh" -- people are going to nail you on that verb. Give the kid a break -- the writer admits they can't write Russian!

The problem is the answer -- the translation depends on whether the speaker is a male or a female. Wait! I take that back. It depends on whether the addressee is female or male.

You'd either write Дорогой or Дорогая, and then later the YOU would be the same regardless of gender (form of ТЫ if you use дорог-).

But then there's the usage of дорогой dear, which is different in Russian culture than over here. I never use it in my letters (tho I don't write love letters in Russian!). I just say Привет Иван! or whoever.