Thread: pls translate this

Подающий надежды оратор

pls translate this

Dear Vika, I fell in love with you when I first saw you two years ago in the internet cafe the first time. I never gussed that we would meet again later at your work place. I've missed you so much. I will call you often and e-mail you often. Talk to you later.

Властелин

Re: pls translate this

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvong2002
    Dear Vika, I fell in love with you when I first saw you two years ago in the internet cafe the first time. I never gussed that we would meet again later at your work place. I've missed you so much. I will call you often and e-mail you often. Talk to you later.
    Дорогая Вика, я влюбился в тебя когда впервые увидел тебя два года назад в интернет кафе. Я никогда не думал, что потом мы ещё раз встретимся у тебя на работе. Я так скучал по тебе. Я буду часто тебе звонить и писать по e-mail. Поговорим позже.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Увлечённый спикер
    Aw crap! You use Дорогая when writing to a girl?! I wrote Дорогой Kristina!

Завсегдатай
    HAHAHAH SUX TO BE YOU! I hope you didn't send it already !
    Oh well it's no big deal if you did... i have called a number of girls Красивый on accident... ... boy i have been there before. It's ok though, usually they don't care, and in most of my cases, they thought it was cute. So, i bet there is no harm done.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Увлечённый спикер
    Yeah. I already sent it :P . Oh well, I can always e-mail her and tell her to expect a letter that says Дорогой Кристина. Heheh

Завсегдатай
    yea, heh i really dont think it's a big thing... everytime i did it they were like " hehehehe oy amerikanets!" i jsut felt really dumb.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Подающий надежды оратор

Russian Translation: Online Translators

Dear Friendy: (Старший оракул)

You just translated:

"Dear Vika, I fell in love with you when I first saw you two years ago in the Internet cafe the first time. I never guessed that we would meet again later at your work place. I've missed you so much. I will call you often and e-mail you often. Talk to you later."

Your translation was:

Дорогая Вика, я влюбился в тебя когда впервые увидел тебя два года назад в интернет кафе. Я никогда не думал, что потом мы ещё раз встретимся у тебя на работе. Я так скучал по тебе. Я буду часто тебе звонить и писать по e-mail. Поговорим позже. (Friendy)

I have been investigating online translator to use as a check on my Russian. I found site on internet. The following is the translation:

Дорогой Вика, я влюбился в Вас, когда я сначала видел Вас два года назад в интернетовском кафе в первый раз. Я никогда не предполагал, что мы встретимся снова позже в вашем месте работы. Я тосковал без Вас так. Я назову Вас часто и пошлю по электронной почте Вам часто. Говорите с Вами позже. (online)

Could you possibly comment on the reliability, accuracy, and differences between the two translations?

To translate anything from English to Russian and vice versa, I have been trying: http://free-translation.imtranslator.com/#

This helps me look up answers to questions I have about things I read in textbook so that I am not totally without feedback. An online translator is a tool that can be used to promote a faster learning experience. This online translator works with other languages as well.
    век живи-век учись, а дураком умрёшь.

Почтенный гражданин
    Дорогой Вика, я влюбился в Вас, когда я сначала видел Вас два года назад в интернетовском кафе в первый раз. Я никогда не предполагал, что мы встретимся снова позже в вашем месте работы. Я тосковал без Вас так. Я назову Вас часто и пошлю по электронной почте Вам часто. Говорите с Вами позже. (online)

Hee. If I were to loosely translate this back to English, I would translate it:

"Vika, my dear chap, I fell in love with thee, when I first saw thee two years ago in an internetting cafe in a first time. I never assumed that we would meet again and again later in thy place of work. I suffer without thee so. I will call thee one time often and I shall send to thee mail via electronic post. I order thee to talk with thyself later."

Thus illustrating the problem with online translators.

Завсегдатай

Re: Russian Translation: Online Translators

I can't best Lindzi's witty answer, so I'll just add little ending comments:

Quote Originally Posted by ballroomdancer
    Friendy is certainly a wonderful oracle about the Russian language, and she would certainly be one of the first I'd go to asking about Russian, but please do note that the rank system around here is based on post count, not on knowledge of Russian. Heh!

This helps me look up answers to questions I have about things I read in textbook so that I am not totally without feedback. An online translator is a tool that can be used to promote a faster learning experience. This online translator works with other languages as well.
    You are free to pursue your course of language learning whichever way you wish to, of course, but if I may add a comment, I would say that online translators are certainly not a very good way to check on things you read in your textbook. If you want feedback, this forum is a wonderful place to receive reliable human feedback from native speakers of Russian. Online translators can be incredibly misleading and they make frequent usage and grammatical errors. In short, you'd be better off asking a two-year Russian student than a computer translator. In fact, I'd say you'd be better off asking an eight-month Russian student(Jasper) than a computer translator. Ciao!

Подающий надежды оратор

Online Translators

I will bear your priority over Friendy and your wise advice in mind. I would not "rely" on any online translator.

Завсегдатай

Re: Online Translators

I will bear your priority over Friendy and your wise advice in mind. I would not "rely" on any online translator.
    Eh? No, Friendy knows way more Russian than me. She's a native speaker of it. Definitely give her more priority. But stick to not using the online translator thing.

By the way, did you notice Lindzi's great post?

Подающий надежды оратор

Inquiry

Where is Lindzi's great post? I could not find it with Lindzi* using search engine.

Подающий надежды оратор

Online Translator

Thanks. I saw Линдзи or Lindzi's post. I recognize that without feedback from a reliable source, an online translator can yield corny or weird results.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Russian Translation: Online Translators

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    I can't best Lindzi's witty answer, so I'll just add little ending comments:
    Should I stick the Blushing with False Modesty Smiley here?

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Friendy is certainly a wonderful oracle about the Russian language, and she would certainly be one of the first I'd go to asking about Russian, but please do note that the rank system around here is based on post count, not on knowledge of Russian. Heh!
    Hee, you're just saying that to make your Снова новичок sound more distinguished

Завсегдатай
    лол, online translators make me luagh. I remember one time i put a word like "special" in, and it came back
    "специальный", i hit it back to english and it was like
    "Important", back to russian
    "Важно" back to english "expensive"
    back to russian "Дорогой"
    back to english "dear".

So which is it ? lol, you put in one word, after about 4 "Translate this"s, you end up with a word completely / totally unrelated. So, i'd uninstall that thing right now. They are usually only good for looking up one to two word translations, for nouns and such... but hey for 10 dollars you can get a good dictionary with multiple entries =P.

Подающий надежды оратор

Online Translators

The quality of online translators can vary greatly. It depends on the search engine and the algorithm used to translate. Depending on the complexity of what is being asked or the multiple meanings that different words can have, you can end up with low quality results.
    I decided to keep searching for a living translator, preferably blonde, blue eyed, who speaks Russian fluently, and can translate my meaning when I end it with a warm kiss.

Завсегдатай
    Errr....heh. That one's a keeper. It's definitely going to be on the first pages of my upcoming book, "The System Administrator's Guide to Romance: 'From Moscow with Love' Edition."