Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Please translate this

  1. #1
    Ty
    Ty is offline
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    10

    Please translate this

    Please translate this for me...

    Кошка сдохла, хвост облез. Кто не с нами, тот балбес!


    Thanks
    I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened. -Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Please translate this

    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    Please translate this for me...

    Кошка сдохла, хвост облез. Кто не с нами, тот балбес!


    Thanks
    The cat has died, its tail became mangy, those, who aren't with us are boobies.

    Это детская считалка (одна из её вариаций).
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Actually, it's initial form is:

    Кошка сдохла, хвост облез. Кто промолвит - тот и съест!

    This is a part of a children's game.

    Literally, your version is translated:

    The cat died and its tail lost its fur. The one who is aside is a blockhead.

    My version:

    The cat died and its tail lost its fur. The one who utters a word should eat it wholly.

    The sense is in the second part. This is a call to take part in some activity, and if you're out of it, you're an outsider.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Please translate this

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    Please translate this for me...

    Кошка сдохла, хвост облез. Кто не с нами, тот балбес!


    Thanks
    The cat has died, its tail became mangy, those, who aren't with us are boobies.

    Это детская считалка (одна из её вариаций).
    Lingvo-translated. I was curious to see what it knows.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  5. #5
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    Rtyom,

    You doubt Lingvo's versions?
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    Rtyom,

    You doubt Lingvo's versions?
    I said that I just know it was Lingvo. The dictionary has very few options on these words.

    No, Lingvo is very good, it helps a lot. However any dictionary isn't flawless.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    What flaws did you discover in it? And AFAIK Lingvo is made of different dictionaries combined together.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Please translate this

    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    Please translate this for me...

    Кошка сдохла, хвост облез. Кто не с нами, тот балбес!


    Thanks
    The cat has died, its tail became mangy, those, who aren't with us are boobies.

    Это детская считалка (одна из её вариаций).
    Lingvo-translated. I was curious to see what it knows.
    Yes, it's Lingvo. I've never known the equivalent for балбес in English.
    booby sounds ridiculously for me for some reason but that's what dictionaries are made for in the first place. I often stumbled on Lingvo being incorrect, though.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    What flaws did you discover in it? And AFAIK Lingvo is made of different dictionaries combined together.
    Do you think combining dictionaries is a good way to avoid all possible mistakes?

    First, many Lingvo dictionaries (of English) are compiled by Russians.
    Second, they cover definitons only lemma-like.
    Third, an all-too-knowing dicitonary is a utopia.

    And generally speaking, you can't translate using only two-way definitions.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  10. #10
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    What flaws did you discover in it? And AFAIK Lingvo is made of different dictionaries combined together.
    You should use monolingual (English-English) dictionaries more often (maybe you haven't used them at all if you believe in impeccability of Lingvo). Then you'll find enough flaws
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  11. #11
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    What is an English-English dictionary? Does it consist of "Cat -- Cat, Dog -- Dog, Sunny -- Sunny"? Or do you mean "Cat -- a mammal with a long tail and sharp claws"?

    Upd:
    What is this? Is this what you're talking about?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=booby
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  12. #12
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    What is an English-English dictionary? Does it consist of "Cat -- Cat, Dog -- Dog, Sunny -- Sunny"? Or do you mean "Cat -- a mammal with a long tail and sharp claws"?
    Neither
    Cat - Feline mammal usually having thick soft fur and no ability to roar: domestic cats; wildcats

    Upd:
    What is this? Is this what you're talking about?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=booby
    Yeah, of course, what else could I mean? Like our Ожегов, т.е. толковый словарь английского языка.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  13. #13
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,632
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim84
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    What flaws did you discover in it? And AFAIK Lingvo is made of different dictionaries combined together.
    You should use monolingual (English-English) dictionaries more often (maybe you haven't used them at all if you believe in impeccability of Lingvo). Then you'll find enough flaws
    Может быть, ты и прав, но я думаю, что большинству из нас легче учиться по старинке, с хорошим двуязычным словарём. Кстати, мне кажется, что пользование толковым словарём не способствует приобретению умения переводить с одного языка на другой.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  14. #14
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim84
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    What flaws did you discover in it? And AFAIK Lingvo is made of different dictionaries combined together.
    You should use monolingual (English-English) dictionaries more often (maybe you haven't used them at all if you believe in impeccability of Lingvo). Then you'll find enough flaws
    Может быть, ты и прав, но я думаю, что большинству из нас легче учиться по-старинке, с хорошим двуязычным словарём. Кстати, мне кажется, что пользование толковым словарём не способствует приобретению умения переводить с одного языка на другой.
    Ну это само собой. Я же не говорил, что надо совсем отказаться от двуязычных словарей. Я лишь сказал, что они не безупречны. А пользоваться, конечно, надо обоими типами словарей.
    Вернее, на начальном уровне только двуязычными, а после определенного этапа можно переходить и на одноязычные. Кроме того, ведь есть специальные, немного упрощенные толковые словари английского для изучающих язык. Я как раз таким в основном сейчас пользуюсь а именно:
    Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary + CD-ROM - рекомедую.
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    However any dictionary isn't flawless.
    However, no dictionary is flawless.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    However any dictionary isn't flawless.
    However, no dictionary is flawless.
    Thank you.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    по-старинке
    По старинке.

    Без дефиса.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  18. #18
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,632
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    по-старинке
    По старинке.

    Без дефиса.
    Ага, маху дала.
    Спасибо.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  19. #19
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    However any dictionary isn't flawless.
    However, no dictionary is flawless.
    Thanc u.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Москва, Зеленоград.
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Кошка сдохла, хвост облез. Кто промолвит - тот и съест!

    This is a part of a children's game.

    The cat died and its tail lost its fur. The one who utters a word should eat it wholly.
    What is a English for
    молчанка - the name of this game?

    Does anybody know?
    Lingvo-то не знает

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary