Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: A plea for HELP

  1. #1
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    10

    A plea for HELP

    I am in a race of sorts with a group of others to figure out what this translates to. IF you can help please please please post or email me...THANKS in advance!


  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    I was actually worried about doing your Russian homework for you, but then I realized that this was such horribly written Russian that no respectable teacher would give this to you. Someone used an online translator, or a really bad Russian student (like me):


    Hi Comrade,
    I see that you have deciphered my last delivery, (doesn't make any sense to me -- literally, "intelligent as I concealed this on the internet of Americans). The above coordinates were incorrect, as you now know well. Your mission requires the discovery of the "Wall of Secrets" in N. Carolina. This holds a secret registration, which you should sign to receive your "smile (WTF!?!?)" <RANDOM CHARACTER>. This is the first stage of multiple mysteries/riddles and holds enclosed mulitple mysteries/riddles.

    You are looking for a small container painted black. Please use your special cleverness, searching for this, using your EYES then your hands. Do not move what you find in the container.

    The string for the secret place is 945847704387553.

    This report is for your eyes only, please don't give any kind of hints that you deciphered or found in the secret registration.

    OK, there you have it. Now it's your turn to share with this nosy translator -- what's this all about/for?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  3. #3
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    10

    THANKYOU!!!

    That helps. The game of sorts is located at www.geocaching.com (no this isn't an advertisement for that site) but it is a cache I seek.

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Now I may have to start hanging out at the Russian forum

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: THANKYOU!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlette
    That helps. The game of sorts is located at www.geocaching.com (no this isn't an advertisement for that site) but it is a cache I seek.

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Now I may have to start hanging out at the Russian forum
    I've heard of this before; interesting concept. Good luck finding it -- and if you're going to leave a message of you own in Russian, let us translate it for you in proper Russian...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  5. #5
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Oh so here it is all again! I was trying to translate this dam thing on the other thread and just stopped over here to see if anyone was having as much trouble as me. It just didn't make sense in places.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин capecoddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA пляж
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    10
    Barmaley,
    Goeocachers are the people that hide things in fake rocks and post coordinates for others to look for them using GPSr's. This is part of a "puzzle cache", finders have to decipher clues to get the final Latitude / Longitude. It makes for a more cerebral challenge, not just romping around the woods with a GPS. Not that it's easy, I've been doing it for about 5 years. I'll scope out their forum and see if I can find out more.

    There are 30 caches hidden in Russia with only 10 being found. One was hidden March 08/06 in Moscow.
    CUT & PASTE:

    N 55° 55.659 E 037° 14.583

    Quick! Save the Frewsabug TB and express respect to George Lippgardt!

    First of all, I have to apologize. I did not make best, because I have was a short of time. Winter is not a best season to hide something outside, I hope travelbug will survive.

    Due to landscape coordinates may vary about 15 meters. So if you can't find it, open the hint.

    Stash is placed at the old house of Lermontov (russian writer). Now it is a hospital with a very small and nice lake.

    Road leads to the main entrance. Then you have to go about 1 km to a stash.

    Additional notes:
    Stash is dedicated to express out respect to a honored man George Lippgardt, who stays clean in our hard and unfair life. If you find a stash, please say your respects to George.

    Original contain:
    1) Travelbug FREWSABUG
    2) Soviet coin (1 RUB)
    3) Soviet banknote (1 RUB)
    4) Gzhel: the russian handcraft.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Thanks, Coddah. I was vaguely familiar with it already, but this was interesting. I think we actually touched on this in another part of the forums -- and I think I already commented that one big problem with doing it in Russia was that the authorities can be real turds about letting you bring GPS gear in (although I'm not sure how it is with natives). Is there any real reward involved in this, ie in terms of monetary value, or is it just a big hobby?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин capecoddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA пляж
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    10
    I tracked the guy down, he found it. Searched for Carlette, changed names in their forum. New name is GatherNoMoss, from Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Has a picture of Mr.T as his avitar. He also posted this:

    March 10 by GatherNoMoss (577 found)
    Had to blow the dust off an old college text book but translated easily...amazing what the mind is able to retain. WTFESL

    I left a note:

    Privet, GatherNoMoss aka Carlette DID not dust off any books. He/she had it translated in the Masterrussian forums by Barmaley, Komitet Gosudarstvennoi Bezopasnosti.
    Edit: forum doesn't support Cyrillic
    I'm easily amused late at night...

  9. #9
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    Privet, GatherNoMoss aka Carlette DID not dust off any books. He/she had it translated in the Masterrussian forums by Barmaley, Komitet Gosudarstvennoi Bezopasnosti.
    Edit: forum doesn't support Cyrillic
    By the time he gets the chance to read this Barmaley will have been arrested by the CIA.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    I tracked the guy down, he found it. Searched for Carlette, changed names in their forum. New name is GatherNoMoss, from Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Has a picture of Mr.T as his avitar. He also posted this:

    March 10 by GatherNoMoss (577 found)
    Had to blow the dust off an old college text book but translated easily...amazing what the mind is able to retain. WTFESL

    I left a note:

    Privet, GatherNoMoss aka Carlette DID not dust off any books. He/she had it translated in the Masterrussian forums by Barmaley, Komitet Gosudarstvennoi Bezopasnosti.
    Edit: forum doesn't support Cyrillic
    LOL. Awesome. You provided interesting info AND busted someone who likes to, shall we say, embellish a bit? I've been called losts of things in my life, but never an "old college textbook" before!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    BUSTED! LOL!

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин Volk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    I tracked the guy down, he found it. Searched for Carlette, changed names in their forum. New name is GatherNoMoss, from Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Has a picture of Mr.T as his avitar. He also posted this:

    March 10 by GatherNoMoss (577 found)
    Had to blow the dust off an old college text book but translated easily...amazing what the mind is able to retain. WTFESL

    I left a note:

    Privet, GatherNoMoss aka Carlette DID not dust off any books. He/she had it translated in the Masterrussian forums by Barmaley, Komitet Gosudarstvennoi Bezopasnosti.
    Edit: forum doesn't support Cyrillic
    LOL. Awesome. You provided interesting info AND busted someone who likes to, shall we say, embellish a bit? I've been called losts of things in my life, but never an "old college textbook" before!
    This is the nth instance I've seen people embellish as you say over the net. I think people underestimate the ability and possibility that people can be tracked down.

    And, I thought it looked a bit badly written in places, for my level of Russian that's saying something.
    Please correct any Russian language mistakes I make.

  13. #13
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    The string for the secret place is 945847704387553.
    Or possibly 94584700000004387553

    "семь нолей" = 0000000
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  14. #14
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    10
    Y'all are silly...I didn't mind one bit that I was "tracked down". Its a game pure and simple within our area.

    CapeCod I responded to your post on the cache page..LOL...my team has gotten a big chuckle over it this morning..including me

    The whole point was to figure out what the Russian said...I think its pretty much understood not that many (if anyone) in my area is fluent. I thought posting here was a creative way of finding out...plus gettin a smile.

    Thanks y'all!
    Carlette aka Gathernomoss I'm an open book.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by волк
    And, I thought it looked a bit badly written in places, for my level of Russian that's saying something.
    Exactly. When I am picking up on errors, your Russian is horrid!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlette
    Y'all are silly...I didn't mind one bit that I was "tracked down". Its a game pure and simple within our area.

    CapeCod I responded to your post on the cache page..LOL...my team has gotten a big chuckle over it this morning..including me

    The whole point was to figure out what the Russian said...I think its pretty much understood not that many (if anyone) in my area is fluent. I thought posting here was a creative way of finding out...plus gettin a smile.

    Thanks y'all!
    Carlette aka Gathernomoss I'm an open book.
    It's really not a big deal, no. It's just bad form. I certainly don't lose sleep over it. The only thing I would end with is that the issue isn't that you "cheated" the dead-dropper by translating it (I guess all the Dukies and Tarheels in Slavic studies were to busy/lazy/had lives), but that you "embellished" your source. No one asked you to credit this forum/me, but to intentionally fabricate the whole back story is kind of lame. Anyway, no hard feelings, and I'm glad you found it.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlette
    The whole point was to figure out what the Russian said...
    The person who wrote it wasn't Russian, that much we can tell you
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    Barmaley,
    Goeocachers are the people that hide things in fake rocks and post coordinates for others to look for them using GPSr's. This is part of a "puzzle cache", finders have to decipher clues to get the final Latitude / Longitude. It makes for a more cerebral challenge, not just romping around the woods with a GPS. Not that it's easy, I've been doing it for about 5 years. I'll scope out their forum and see if I can find out more.
    Sounds familiar? Maybe the whole "spy" scandal was just a Geocacher rock!!!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  19. #19
    Почтенный гражданин capecoddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA пляж
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    10
    It's a silly, yet fun, game, I've been doing it for close to 5 years now. Poor form in Geocaching he didn't give Barmaley a small credit for help.
    CUT & PASTE:

    March 11 by GatherNoMoss (577 found)
    LOL..Cape Cod Cacher...I had to blow dust off books to even FIND the masterrussian forum..LMAO.

    All in good fun, only thing that irritated me was I spent 20 minutes typing a note on the Geocaching site with some of my horrible Russian, only to
    get it turned into a string of ????????????????? God's Fish
    I'm easily amused late at night...

  20. #20
    Почтенный гражданин capecoddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA пляж
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    10
    URL is giving me trouble tonight... here is the site:

    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... c3504eaa0e
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there such a thing as a "Vagabond Law" ? - Plea
    By cman_1500w in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: November 4th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary