Thread: a phrase

Старший оракул

a phrase

just wanted to check:

Весной словацкая компания J&T Group завершила сделку по приобретению 75% акций ООО «Балчуг», владеющей гостиницей, у компании Kempinski Hotels.

so company X has now got 75% shares in Balchug and Balchg owns/runs Kempinski Hotels (i.e. hotels owed by them, not the whole company)
    is this right or is it the other way around????

thanks!
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Завсегдатай

Re: a phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Columbo
    Весной словацкая компания J&T Group завершила сделку по приобретению 75% акций ООО «Балчуг», владеющей гостиницей, у компании Kempinski Hotels.
    What the Russian sentence actually says is that
    (a) the Slovak Company bought 75% of shares of OOO Balchug from Kempinski Hotels,
    (b) OOO Balchug owns "the hotel" (it is not specified which hotel. We can safely assume that the hotel in question is the Balchug Kempinski hotel in Moscow, but the Russian does not say so directly)

so company X has now got 75% shares in Balchug...
    In OOO Balchug. OOO Balchug is a company, and is not necessarily the same thing as the Balchug hotel (it may be so, I just don't know, and the Russian snippet you posted is not quite clear about that. For all I know, OOO Balchug may own two dozen hotels, Balchug Kempinski being just one of them. Or not.)

and Balchg owns/runs Kempinski Hotels (i.e. hotels owed by them, not the whole company)
    Don't think so, since it says very clearly that the shares were bought from Kempinski Hotels. So if your interpretation was correct, then it would mean that Kempinski Hotels owns OOO Balchug, and OOO Balchug, in its turn, owns hotels owned by Kempinski Hotels?

To be brief, the Russian text you posted is not clear enough. In fact, I suspect that it is a bad translation from English.

Старший оракул

thanks!
    the particular text's by this russian author are always written, in my opinion, strangely. its like they want to make it purposely longer with more words etc to
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Почтенный гражданин

If I'm not mistaken, the Russian contains a grammatical error - it should be владеющего rather than владеющей because it refers to "OOO [общество ограниченой ответсвенности = limited liability corporation or ltd.] Balchug" which is neutral gender.

Here's an example from Google:
    Предлагаем приобрести 100% акций ООО «Ладога-Гранит», владеющего лицензиями на месторождения песчанно-гравийного материала.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by John_Douglas
    If I'm not mistaken, the Russian contains a grammatical error - it should be владеющего rather than владеющей because it refers to "OOO [общество ограниченой ответсвенности = limited liability corporation or ltd.] Balchug" which is neutral gender.

Here's an example from Google:
    Предлагаем приобрести 100% акций ООО «Ладога-Гранит», владеющего лицензиями на месторождения песчанно-гравийного материала.
    You are right.