Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new parents

Новичок

new parents

We just adopted a little girl, and we could use some help with essential phrases, especially to communicate rules about not hitting, spitting or kicking, and that whining, sulking and muttering under her breath are not going to get her her way. She is picking up English fairly well, but some things are hard to communicate!

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    How old is she and do you intend to keep her involved with Russian culture and language?
    I hate Signatures

Новичок
    She is 8. We are trying to keep her language and culture. We have a Russian speaking piano teacher, and contacts in the community. For now, we are trying to help her adjust to a whole new world, and get along in a family. She reads some Russian, so it is possible to get many things across with simple words and gestures

Завсегдатай
    Плевать to spit
    Скулить to whine
    Пинать to kick
    Бормотать to mutter

... to negate these... well to tell her to not spit, for example simply ad a не! No spitting no whining, so on... but. it sounds like u are assuming she will behave like she is 4, most 8 year olds are on the fairy mature spectrum of childhood and do not throw tantrums... and can cope pretty well... but you know her better than i do, and i think u should just worry about her learning english for now.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    Negating these verbs will not be a command form. Sometimes the infinitive is used for a command but only really in a very formal way, such as on no smoking signs and such. не курить However, to form a command, you need to put it in the imperative form.....

не скули! don't whine

не Плевай - dont spit

не Пинай -dont kick

If you dont know cyrillic, heres how to say them

NEE SKOOLEE!
    NEE PlevI
    Nee PinI I=as in high

Quote Originally Posted by drew881
    не Плевай - dont spit
    Не плюй
    nee PLyOOY
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Почтенный гражданин
    thanks, i messed that one up. Havent learned that verb yet and assumed it had a basic first conjugation

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Плевать to spit
    it sounds like u are assuming she will behave like she is 4, most 8 year olds are on the fairy mature spectrum of childhood and do not throw tantrums... and can cope pretty well... but you know her better than i do, and i think u should just worry about her learning english for now.
    Depends, also the "new parents" would have to be careful not to under estimate the childs intelligence because the child is unable to communicate with them.

8 years old is pretty harsh, but she will more than likely learn English very well, it's at about 10 or 12 that the language barrier just drops them too far behind.
    I hate Signatures

Новичок

thanks

Thanks for all your help. Though she is 8, and pretty bright, emotionally she is more like 4, and adjusting to family life in a new language after being in an institution is a really tough process. There are lots of things she has never learned, or even seen, so we are trying to set up basic rules. On the whole, she is doing beautifully, and we say Спасибо.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Well we hope to see you back, and you have a fantastic opertunity to learn russian from your daughter, and to advance her own russian and english.
    I hate Signatures

Подающий надежды оратор
    just make sure she doesn't lose her russian... give russian books to read, ask people what are the literature classics, watch russian movies with her, etc. It helps out a great deal. I know. =)
    Митьки никого не хотят победить!
    Совсем никого не хотят победить!

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Where you adopted from Russia and brought over to the US?
    I hate Signatures

Новичок

adoption

She is from the Tver region. She has been here in the US about 3 weeks.

Подающий надежды оратор
    stop hitting: Не дерись! Ne deris' Перестань драться perestan' dratsa
    don't spit: Не надо плеваться ne nada plevatsa
    don't kick: не надо пинаться ne nada pinatsa, нельзя пинаться nel'z'a pinatsa
    don't whine не хнычь ne knnych

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Did she come from the orphanage in Staritsa?
    I hate Signatures

Новичок
    No. she is from a village way up in the northeast of Tver.

Подающий надежды оратор
    You could simply use НЕЛЬЗЯ (NEL'ZYA) followed by the verb. This means "You mustn't..."
    Also try НЕ СТОИТ (NE STO-EET), for "It's no use.." as in "It's no use whinging, etc"

Новичок

here's an ....interesting one

You folks have been SOO helpful, I though I might try a more challenging one.
    We need to get a smaple of bowel movement to take to the lab. The doctor said I could drain the toilet and collect a speciment, but I am stumped as to how to tell her that she needs to poop into an empty toilet and tell me so I can take some from there for the lab to look at. I have been putting this off, because it is so challenging. Perhaps I do need a translator for this one...

Подающий надежды оратор
    if you are not joking ...
    tell her that <nada skhadit' v tualet pa balshomu> or <nada pakakat'> and <ne slivat' vodu> (not to wash it down) because <nada sdat' analizy> (take samples to the lab). She could have got some experience from her past and understand you easily

Новичок
    I wish I were joking, thanks for the help. We will give it a try at the next...opportunity. It is just one of the fun parts of parenting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast