Thread: more boring stuff

Старший оракул

more boring stuff

so there are some things giving me here, would be great if a Russian could translate / rephrase in russian the sentences so i can understand them. заранее спасибо!!
    ---------

1)Сложившаяся конфигурация политических сил до недавнего времени выглядела патовой, учитывая, что все представители неформальных партий одинаково близки к российскому дуумвирату

things looked, presumably bad, informal parties that are close to a russian smt. i find this especially confusing to get my head around.

2)С помощью известных финансистам схем (замещение реальных денежных средств государственными бумагами) будет возможно списать долги «капитанов бизнеса» перед крупнейшими российскими банками, профинансировать возврат внешней задолженности, прежде всего, перед «карманными» офшорными структурами (по итогам девяти месяцев прошлого года 54,6 процента внешних займов поступило именно из офшоров), докапитализировать некоторые кредитные организации.

what i actually dont get is докапитализировать

3) В ситуации глобальной экономической неопределенности почти невозможно, высказывая те или иные прогнозы и рекомендации, остаться «над схваткой»

general confusion, над схваткой also i fail to understand in context

4) Российское общественность изголодалась по дискуссиям. Причем по таким, которые представляли бы собой не просто экспертные перепалки, но отражали реальный конфликт властных интересов.

so society craves discussion so what here could be reflecting a conflict of interests for the authorities?

5) Даже первый год медведевского правления не предъявил обществу ни одного серьезного внутривластного раскола: опасаясь осложнений отношений между членами правящего тандема, властный аппарат и поддерживающая его «экспертократия» демонстрировали на публике еще большую сплоченность.

поддерживающая его «экспертократия» демонстрировали на публике еще большую сплоченность. - this is the main part that confuses me. i cant get my head around what was done to demonstrate unity to the public

6) От этого спора как-то сама собой отделилась полемика о «перезаключении общественного договора» между властью и населением.
    Отдельные «лоялисты» дискутировали с отдельными «несогласными», причем внутри как одного, так и другого лагеря царило почти ничем не нарушаемое единство

a rephrasal is needed for this one. but the main parts is dont get are ора как-то сама собой отделилась полемика and причем внутри как одного, так и другого лагеря царило почти ничем не нарушаемое единство

thanks!!
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Завсегдатай

Re: more boring stuff

Сложившаяся конфигурация политических сил до недавнего времени выглядела патовой, учитывая, что все представители неформальных партий одинаково близки к российскому дуумвирату
    Established layout of the political forces until recently looked like a stalemate, considering that all the members of the informal parties are equally close to the Russia's duumvirate.

Патовый - an adjective from "пат" (a stalemate position in chess, when a player can't make a move without endangering his or her king)
    duumvirate - a historical/political term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duumvirate

... to be continued .. )))

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Columbo
    1)Сложившаяся конфигурация политических сил до недавнего времени выглядела патовой, учитывая, что все представители неформальных партий одинаково близки к российскому дуумвирату

things looked, presumably bad, informal parties that are close to a russian smt. i find this especially confusing to get my head around.
    Until recently, the exisiting political forces seemed to be in a stalemate, seeing that all representatives of informal parties are equally close to the Russian duumvirate.
    You can look up duumvirate in any good dictionary, I don't know how you can have a problem with this word . The author obviously referes to Putin + Medvedev. Howeer, I have no idea what does s/he mean by "informal parties". Probably unofficial factions in Duma or groups of influential people who are not actually a party but act as one, lobbying for their interests/

докапитализировать
    Literally, it means "to complete капитализация". This doesn't make good sense in Russian, since the word капитализация (предприятия) in its most common meaning is not a process, but a measure of value of an enterprise. If you can get in touch with the author, I'd suggest that you ask him what he meant here.

3) В ситуации глобальной экономической неопределенности почти невозможно, высказывая те или иные прогнозы и рекомендации, остаться «над схваткой»

Here it means something like to remain impartial or unaffected (in one's judgment) by the general confusion.

4) Российское общественность изголодалась по дискуссиям. Причем по таким, которые представляли бы собой не просто экспертные перепалки, но отражали реальный конфликт властных интересов.
    so society craves discussion so what here could be reflecting a conflict of interests for the authorities?
    Изголодалась -- not just "craves". The Russian word implies that the society has not had discussions for a long time, and that's why it is wants them so much. And it doesn't want just any old discussions; it wants those that do reflect the actual conflicts of the interests of different groups/camps within the corridors of power rather then just disputes of experts.

поддерживающая его «экспертократия» демонстрировали на публике еще большую сплоченность. - this is the main part that confuses me. i cant get my head around what was done to demonstrate unity to the public
    We don't know what was done. There is no indication of that in the Russian text. It simply sais that the "expertocracy" that supports the ruling duumvirate tried to look even more united before the public. The word "expertocracy", by the way, has been most likely coined by the author.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    The word "expertocracy", by the way, has been most likely coined by the author.
    Yeah.
    "expertocracy" = the power/authority of the experts (compare to "democracy", "aristocracy", etc.)

Старший оракул

thanks guys!
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

=> Up until recently, the political situation seemed stale considering that all stakeholders were equally close to Putin-Medvedev.

2)С помощью известных финансистам схем (замещение реальных денежных средств государственными бумагами) будет возможно списать долги «капитанов бизнеса» перед крупнейшими российскими банками, профинансировать возврат внешней задолженности, прежде всего, перед «карманными» офшорными структурами (по итогам девяти месяцев прошлого года 54,6 процента внешних займов поступило именно из офшоров), докапитализировать некоторые кредитные организации.

what i actually dont get is докапитализировать
    That means that you can issue additional stocks against the Government-controlled corporation thus making the corporation "better capitalized". If you have only issued some stocks against the nationalized corporation you have not actually fully capitalized it yet. The Government could get more money out of the private sector this way.

That means that it's close to impossible to expect an analyst to stay objective in the situation of the global uncertainty.

Let's say, for example, that the Communist Party wants the Government to control all the resources and the Union of the Right Forces wants all resources to be controlled by the private owners and public corporations. So, if you turn on the TV and see two politicians (one from each party) screaming on each other trying to prove their point by elaborating on how prominent their opponent is of a thief, that would be the discussion that would "reflect" (in English that would be more like "highlight") the real conflict of the two political powers. If, on the other hand, you see two well-educated people wearing ties and talking nicely to each other about the pros and cons, that would be two experts' discussion.

5) Даже первый год медведевского правления не предъявил обществу ни одного серьезного внутривластного раскола: опасаясь осложнений отношений между членами правящего тандема, властный аппарат и поддерживающая его «экспертократия» демонстрировали на публике еще большую сплоченность.

That means, even if there was a conflict inside the Government (or the governing party) there weren't any concerns openly expressed. Everything stayed inside. Think about it this way: Russia is said to be governed by Putin and Medvedev together. Formally, Medvedev is President and Putin in the Head of the Government. Meaning that Medvedev is a boss. However, in reality, the governing party's popularity is based on Putin's personal popularity. Both Medvedev and Putin have their team. Are there any conflicts between those teams? Probably yes. But, because the team members wouldn't know who is more important either Medvedev or Putin, they would not want to risk starting wars between the teams because the peace is much more important to the well-being of both teams.

6) От этого спора как-то сама собой отделилась полемика о «перезаключении общественного договора» между властью и населением.
    Отдельные «лоялисты» дискутировали с отдельными «несогласными», причем внутри как одного, так и другого лагеря царило почти ничем не нарушаемое единство

a rephrasal is needed for this one. but the main parts is dont get are ора как-то сама собой отделилась полемика and причем внутри как одного, так и другого лагеря царило почти ничем не нарушаемое единство
    Again, because of the dual power of Putin-Medvedev no one knows what would be the consequence of a war, so the teams are afraid of the wars.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    Let's say, for example, that the Communist Party wants the Government to control all the resources and the Union of the Right Forces wants all resources to be controlled by the private owners and public corporations. So, if you turn on the TV and see two politicians (one from each party) screaming on each other trying to prove their point by elaborating on how prominent their opponent is of a thief, that would be the discussion that would "reflect" (in English that would be more like "highlight") the real conflict of the two political powers. If, on the other hand, you see two well-educated people wearing ties and talking nicely to each other about the pros and cons, that would be two experts' discussion.
    I think you've got it COMPLETELY backwards.
    Russian society is tired of these "educated people wearing ties" bombarding each other (politely or otherwise, it's of no importance) with terms and big words without actually sying anything about the real situation in the country. It's a "squabble of experts" - over technicalities, while people crave for the open and honest discussion about the real conflict.

PS. Ok, I reread your post. Sorry, I take my words back. It looks like we said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    PS. Ok, I reread your post. Sorry, I take my words back. It looks like we said the same thing.
    Yeah.. I didn't really express my opinion towards the original author's idea.