Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some help, please

Подающий надежды оратор
    Thanks so much.

Looking at your interpretation, I wonder if the phrase about the pig might mean something different. It almost sounds like "you and a pig" could mean that he is in a mess, because Marina won't give him the phone, so now he's not going to call.

Ну, ты и свинья, а Марина опять не может дать трубку тебе

Just a thought.

Michael

"Your sentence may also mean the following (actually its sense is not very clear from the context so it's just a version): author is calling Pasha but it's Marina (who lives in the same appartment) who picks up the phone and she doesn't call Pasha (doesn't give him the receiver). So the caller thinks that since Marina doesn't call Pasha anyway she won't call him any more 'cause it's useless."

Почтенный гражданин
    "Ну X и Y", where X denotes a person (usually a name or pronoun), and Y stands for something not very nice (свинья, подлец, мерзавец, негодяй, козёл, идиот, кретин, you get the idea) is an idiom that means "X is (really) (some) Y" or "What a Y X is/are!".
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Старший оракул

Yes, indeed.
    "Ну ты и свинья!" doesn't mean "well you and a pig!" It means: "What a pig you are!" (with astonishing intonation).
    It came to my mind that we can use a verb in this phrase also:
    Ну ты и сказал!
    Ну ты и придумал!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12