Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By it-ogo
  • 1 Post By it-ogo
  • 1 Post By wanja

Thread: General Translation

General Translation

I will appreciate your assistance in translating the following expressions (I tried to translate them below). The expressions are random and they mainly include some grammatical points that are not so clear to me, such as the use of Творительный and some problems with падеж of Numbers (Currently I am not interested so much in understanding full the grammatical I just want to see which are the correct forms) .

1. I have regretted leaving England so early
    2. Where is George? He has disappeared for two weeks.
    3. Before one month he introduced me to a very good customer.
    4. I started dating with her but after the first two meetings I understood that she was not so clever.
    5. She was proven not to be so clever.
    6. If I haven’t insist I wouldn’t now be in Russia with two new offices (i.e. I wouldn’t have open two new offices in Russian despite the difficulties).
    7. They client you introduced to me a while ago in this office seems extremely interesting.
    8. She is so stubborn that you cannot speak with him without losing your temper.
    9. The harder you work the most successful you will be.
    10. In order to save time I have translated them alone.
    11. I am so excited today. I passed my exams.

In order to save some time I tried to translate them alone:
    1. Я сожалел что я уехал из Англии так рано - I don't think that сожалеть is the correct verb
    2. Где Джордж?Он пропал на две недели - I also find the word исчезать
    3. После одного месяца он познакомил меня с хорошим (крупным) клиентом.
    4. Я начал (стал) встречаться с ней но после первыx двух встреч я понял что она не была такой умной - The Творительный at the end is more based on reflexives rather than deep knowledge of grammatical
    5. Онa оказалась / доказалась не такой умной - Big confusion with these two verbs. I know that доказать is the verb used in mathematics. Also Творительный is used on a reflexive way
    6. Если бы я не настаивал я не был бы в России сейчас с двумя новыми офисами.
    7. Клиент, с которым Вы познакомили меня время назад в этом офисе выглядит / кажется очень интересным. - Confusion with выглядит / кажется
    8. Он столь / такой упрям что нельзя раговоривать с ним не ... - The use of столь / такой bothers me. Also the use of kratkaya forma in the case of упрям makes me wonder.
    9. Чем больше работать тем больше успешным ты станешь - The issue here is not the structure чем ... тем rather the decision what person to use. I tried to use an impersonal construction but obviously I failed.
    10. ???
    11. ???

Thank for your time
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

Necessary corrections are blue. Style improvements are green. My comments are brown.

1. Я сожалел, что уехал из Англии так рано. Мне было жаль, что я...

2. Где Джордж? Он пропал на две недели - OK

I don't understand what is "before one month" here. If it is "one month before" then "месяцем раньше" or "месяц назад".

4. Я начал (стал) встречаться с ней, но после первыx двух встреч понял, что она не была такой уж умной. не такая уж умная/не так уж умна (if she is still alive)

5. Онa оказалась не такой умной. Оказалось, что она не так уж умна. доказать can hardly be reflexive.

6. Если бы я не настоял, я не был бы в России сейчас с двумя новыми офисами. It is acceptable if you are in Russia yourself. Commas in Russian are mostly mandatory.

7. Клиент, с которым Вы познакомили меня какое-то время назад в этом офисе кажется очень интересным. - выглядит is OK if you speak about visual appearance specifically. Клиент, с которым Вы меня когда-то познакомили... крайне интересным.

8. Он (столь упрям/ такой упрямый), что с ним невозможно разговаривать, не теряя самообладания. "такой" is a full form so don't combine it with short form. "так упрям" will do also.

9. Чем больше работаешь, тем более успешным ты становишься. - Труд - путь к успеху.

10. Для экономии времени я перевел их сам/в одиночку.

11. Я так рад сегодня. Я сдал экзамены.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Necessary corrections are blue. Style improvements are green. My comments are brown.

1. Я сожалел, что уехал из Англии так рано. Мне было жаль, что я...

2. Где Джордж? Он пропал на две недели - OK

I don't understand what is "before one month" here. If it is "one month before" then "месяцем раньше" or "месяц назад".

4. Я начал (стал) встречаться с ней, но после первыx двух встреч понял, что она не была такой уж умной. не такая уж умная/не так уж умна (if she is still alive)

5. Онa оказалась не такой умной. Оказалось, что она не так уж умна. доказать can hardly be reflexive.

6. Если бы я не настоял, я не был бы в России сейчас с двумя новыми офисами. It is acceptable if you are in Russia yourself. Commas in Russian are mostly mandatory.

7. Клиент, с которым Вы познакомили меня какое-то время назад в этом офисе кажется очень интересным. - выглядит is OK if you speak about visual appearance specifically. Клиент, с которым Вы меня когда-то познакомили... крайне интересным.

8. Он (столь упрям/ такой упрямый), что с ним невозможно разговаривать, не теряя самообладания. "такой" is a full form so don't combine it with short form. "так упрям" will do also.

9. Чем больше работаешь, тем более успешным ты становишься. - Труд - путь к успеху.

10. Для экономии времени я перевел их сам/в одиночку.

11. Я так рад сегодня. Я сдал экзамены.
    Some comments and questions:
    1. Indeed using запятая is an issue. But as I understood some rules:
    (a) before что
    (б) before он, а etc.
    2. I didn't understand the comment: "if she still alive". The use of Творительный does it means that now she is dead.
    3. Оказалось can be used only as impersonal construction. I didn't know that.
    4. когда - то is translated as once. I didn't know that.
    5. I found word радостный and the word возбужденный which also has a different meaning. As I understood exhited it does not have a specific translation
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

1. Indeed using запятая is an issue. But as I understood some rules:
    (a) before что
    (б) before он, а etc.

Well clauses are to be separated by comma almost always. So it should be before any conjunction connecting clauses.

2. I didn't understand the comment: "if she still alive". The use of Творительный does it means that now she is dead.

You have used Past tense. "она не была такой..." I proposed Present: "она не такая..." in case if she is still alive at the moment of speaking.

3. Оказалось can be used only as impersonal construction. I didn't know that.

Not only but it is more natural in Russian. It was style impovement (green), optional.

5. I found word радостный and the word возбужденный which also has a different meaning. As I understood exhited it does not have a specific translation

"возбужденный" normally is treated in either medical or sexual meaning.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

3. Before one month he introduced me to a very good customer.
    Не прошло и месяца...

4. I started dating with her but after the first two meetings I understood that she was not so clever.
    ...она на так уж умна.
    5. She was proven not to be so clever.
    Она оказалась не такой уж умной
    8. She is so stubborn that you cannot speak with him without losing your temper.
    Она так упряма, что с ней нельзя поговорить, не выйдя из себя.
    9. The harder you work the most successful you will be.
    Чем упорней работаешь, тем большего успеха добьёшься.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    Семь бед, один Reset