Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: classic

Властелин

Re: classic

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    - И кто из мальчонков навку таку увидит - тот с ума сходит зараз, и ходит, воит, стонет, пока в болото не прыгнет, шоб страх свой похоронить, вона как!
    - And those of the guys who sees such a navka, he will go nuts due to the disease and he goes around, howling and moaning, until he jumps into the swamp, to bury his fear, that's how it is, see!
    One other small correction (didn't see this the first time): I believe, "зараз"="сразу"="at once", it does not refer to a disease here.

Another (remote) possibility would be "now", which is "зараз" (stressed on the first A) in Ukrainian and so might also appear in some Russian dialects. Here it would mean smth like "right now there is a guy to whom this is happening", but it would look kinda unusual here given the rest of the sentence so I think Gerty meant "at once".

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    Another (remote) possibility would be "now", which is "зараз" (stressed on the first A) in Ukrainian and so might also appear in some Russian dialects. Here it would mean smth like "right now there is a guy to whom this is happening", but it would look kinda unusual here given the rest of the sentence so I think Gerty meant "at once".
    Yes! It is "at once".
    Find your inner Bart!

Ok, I fixed it.

So, Gerty, do I get the job translating your books? I am cheap!

Feel free to give us more excerpts of books to translate, this was very interesting!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Почтенный гражданин
    Ok, I fixed it.

So, Gerty, do I get the job translating your books? I am cheap!

Feel free to give us more excerpts of books to translate, this was very interesting!
    I'll keep you in mind, man! If my new publisher gets down to translation, I will certanly point on you. All the more you are cheap

Try this one, ot's more standart:

Двенадцать ножей и летающая тарелка

В 12 лет Эсмеральда Цветкова поняла, что жизнь не удалась. Судите сами: у всех девчонок папы как папы, а ей достался папа - профессиональный философ: ни на каток с ним сходить, ни на озеро съездить, где выдают лодки на прокат. Даже на работу не ходит: сидит целыми днями дома и шлепает по клавишам компьютера. Мама тоже хороша, – выучилась, видите ли, на учительницу. Приходишь домой – и все разговоры о «лишнем человеке» и тригонометрии. А отдыхать-то когда? Если это называется «счастливое детство», то я извиняюсь.
    Вообще, жизнь состоит из сплошных расстройств. Вчера ее стихотворение не приняли на школьный поэтический конкурс. Руководитель поэтического кружка Александр Сергеевич промямлил, что комиссия и слушатели не оценят строк «От несваренья мысли слова во рту прокисли» и могут плохо подумать о нем, как о преподавателе. А сегодня за полугодовую контрольную по математике влепили трояк. Это означает, что мама молча уйдет на кухню и будет игнорировать ее весь вечер, а папа оттопырит нижнюю губу и скажет: «Ты окончательно решила остаться дикой и неграмотной?» Хорошо еще, если не отберут ножницы и клей. Хотя поработать над моделью знаменитой шхуны «Синий нос» все равно удастся только урывками, пока родители смотрят телевизор, а как только в коридоре раздадутся шаги, прятать модель под стол, рискуя обломать верхние реи, и делать вид, что решаешь эти проклятые задачи.
    Find your inner Bart!

Властелин
    Yeah, standard, a walk in the park
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Ok, I will try! I have my battle gear on, going in for the kill!

Remember, with every translation I get better, so this will help the future translation of your book!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerty
    Try this one, ot's more standart:

Двенадцать ножей и летающая тарелка
    Twelve knives and a flying saucer

В 12 лет Эсмеральда Цветкова поняла, что жизнь не удалась. Судите сами: у всех девчонок папы как папы, а ей достался папа - профессиональный философ: ни на каток с ним сходить, ни на озеро съездить, где выдают лодки на прокат. Даже на работу не ходит: сидит целыми днями дома и шлепает по клавишам компьютера. Мама тоже хороша, – выучилась, видите ли, на учительницу. Приходишь домой – и все разговоры о «лишнем человеке» и тригонометрии. А отдыхать-то когда? Если это называется «счастливое детство», то я извиняюсь.
    At the age of 12 Esmeralda Tsvetovka understood that life didn't turn out too well. Judge for youself: Every girl has a normal dad, but she got a dad who was a professional philosopher. She couldn't go with him to the skating rink, nor to the lake where you can rent boats. He doesn't even go to work, he sits for whole days at home and types on the computer keyboard. Mom is also a fine one, you see, she was educated as a teachere. You come home and all they talk about is "the superfluous man" and trigonometry. When can I rest? If this is what is called "happy childhood", well then excuse me!

Вообще, жизнь состоит из сплошных расстройств. Вчера ее стихотворение не приняли на школьный поэтический конкурс. Руководитель поэтического кружка Александр Сергеевич промямлил, что комиссия и слушатели не оценят строк «От несваренья мысли слова во рту прокисли» и могут плохо подумать о нем, как о преподавателе. А сегодня за полугодовую контрольную по математике влепили трояк. Это означает, что мама молча уйдет на кухню и будет игнорировать ее весь вечер, а папа оттопырит нижнюю губу и скажет: «Ты окончательно решила остаться дикой и неграмотной?»
    In general, life consits of continous disappointments. Yesterday they didn't accept her poem at the school poetry contest. Aleksander Sergeyevich, the head of the poetry club, mumbled that the committee and the audience wouldn't value the verse "From indigested thoughts, words mope about in the mouth" and they might think bad about him as a teacher. And today, at the biannual mathematics test, she came out with a three. This means that mom will go quietly into the kitchen and will ignore her the whole evening, while dad will bulge out his lower lip and say: "Have you completely decided to stay wild and illiterate?"

Хорошо еще, если не отберут ножницы и клей. Хотя поработать над моделью знаменитой шхуны «Синий нос» все равно удастся только урывками, пока родители смотрят телевизор, а как только в коридоре раздадутся шаги, прятать модель под стол, рискуя обломать верхние реи, и делать вид, что решаешь эти проклятые задачи.
    Only if they didn't take away the scissors and the glue. Although working on the model of the famous schooner "Blue Nose" is only possible at odd times, while the parents are watching television, and if steps are heared in the corridor one has to quickly hide the model under the table, risking to break the upper masts and make the impression that you are resolving these damned assignments.

The bolded parts are the ones I am not sure about... what do you think?

I liked it, where is this from?

Властелин
    Un-...-believable, you are getting the hang of it . I don't have the time to correct inaccuracies now, hopefully someone else will.

Завсегдатай
    Here is my guess.

«От несваренья мысли слова во рту прокисли»
    From the undigested thoughts, word of mouth have become sour

If it is further off than KV's then let me know and I'll delete it.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Властелин
    Finally,

kwatts: both ways sound close enough, the one that is funnier (haha funnier) should win. Unfortunately, here I can't be the judge of that.

KV: It appears that sentences with no subject cause the most difficulties. It is not an easy concept for the English speaking people.

Даже на работу не ходит: He [the father] does not even go to work

"the odd person out" should be --> superfluous man. It is an archetype character appearing in the 19th century Russian literature, someone who is educated in the West, lives in Russia, and who is not actively involved in social life. A rich educated bum, basically. You could not have known it so don't worry about it.

А отдыхать-то когда? And when do I rest? (she is talking about herself)

могут плохо подумать о нем, как о преподавателе
    they might think badly about him as a teacher

Хорошо еще, если не отберут ножницы и клей
    I wish they would not take away the scissors and the glue (in bold there is future tense which makes it uncertain)

верхние реи upper yards (if I understand correctly the nautical terms)

Почтенный гражданин
    This is so much fun to see my own text in English!!!!!!

Kalinka, you da man! Adoc, you da man's assistant! kwatts59, I really don't know how to translate this poem better

This is a fragment from my first book (as you have probably guessed, book for kids). Here you can read the whole first chapter at my publisher's dead site:

http://palmira.ru/Books/?fragment/499
    Find your inner Bart!

Thanks, adoc, for the corrections! I still don't understand the upper masts part... upper yards? qu'est ce que??

And is this «От несваренья мысли слова во рту прокисли» a poem every russian knows, or did Gerty just make it up? does прокисили mean to mope about or to turn sour (the word itself)? Thanks Kwatts for the suggestion.

Gerty, you are a talented writer! And this is me, an aspiring writer who says it я восхищаюсь тобой!

Почтенный гражданин
    Стих этот я не знаю.

Мысли прокисли - означает, что мысли стали совсем плохого качества.

Сравни "суп прокис" - суп стал кислым, но не потому что он кислый (скажем щи кислые по определению), а потому что он испортился, и есть его нельзя.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Старший оракул

Interesting thread guys.

- Так что там с проклятием? - Сашка быстрее всех отошел от бурной сцены и вернулся к разговору о деле.
    - So what's with this curse? - Sashka was the quickest to calm down and went straight to business
    I'd prefer "got straight down to business".

- And those who don't die, go nuts.
    The comma should not be used here.

- What does she have in the rear? - I inquired.
    "in the rear" would never be used like that. If I were in that position, the question I would ask would be "Why, what's she got on her back?" or "What's wrong with her back?" or "What's on her back?" "What's she got behind her?" (maybe). Rear is usually a euphemism for ass/arse.

I squatted and again sensed a tart smell emitting from her.
    should be "emanating" (a smell does not emit, it is emitted, but emanate is more appropriate here I think).

- А у навок спины нету.
    - К-как это "спины нету"? - я сглотнул слюну.
    - The navkas don't have a back.
    - H-How not having a back? - I gulped.
    The literal translation of kak is unnatural here. "What do you mean, they don't have a back?!" yes, I know it's a lot of extra words, but it's the most natural sounding equivalent imho.

- Like this, see: On appearance the Navka
    In appearance

Страх тонкими ручейками полез за шиворот и растекся по спине. Мучительно тянуло обернуться и посмотреть: не стоит ли кто-то у меня за плечами?
    The fear in small streams crawled from my collar and ran down my back. I was painfully drawn to turn and look: Is there someone standing behind my shoulders?
    This word order is very unnatural in English, the adverbial phrase "in small streams" would have to be put after the verb "crawled". By the way, you might want to try the verb "trickle" instead of "crawl"; it would fit nicely here.

- И кто из мальчонков навку таку увидит - тот с ума сходит зараз, и ходит, воит, стонет, пока в болото не прыгнет, шоб страх свой похоронить, вона как!
    - And those of the guys who sees such a navka,
    "those" does not agree with "sees" .. Rather than write "and those of the guys who see ...", you might prefer to throw in an "if": and if any one of the guys should see ... , although it's not there in the original.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    qu'est ce que??
    A mast (мачта), c'est un vertical support for sails, so it can't be upper (or can it?).
    Yards (реи (pl.), рея (sing.)) are fastened to masts, and they are the timbers upon which the sails are spread.

«От несваренья мысли слова во рту прокисли» this is Gerty's, I've never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Interesting thread guys.
    Thanks for the corrections waxwing, it always helps to have someone check over the english translation too I will fix it when I come back on Monday!

JJ
    Властелин
    Here you can read the whole first chapter at my publisher's dead site:
    Асилил. Пешы ещо!
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Почётный участник
    Эта книга Юлии Большаковой под названием "Амазонкам дозволено все" так и пестрит народным говором.
    Kalinka_vinnie сделал суперский перевод, но все равно никто не сможет до конца перевести язык русской глубинки, пусть и искусственно произведенный г-жой Болшаковой.Давайте возьмем ,к примеру,шолоховского персонажа. Кто-нибудь сможет перевести сбивчивую речь деда Щукаря: "Оно хоша конечно, коли ежели чего, а что касается до обсуждения,то буквально. Если к этому вопросу подойти, с точки зрения развития концепции, то проходя через аналитическую точку понятия можно сказать, что так то оно так, да вот случись что, вот тебе на"(Это не точная цитата). Я даже не знаю как перевести данную тираду на русский LOL
    Есть люди, в которых живет Бог. Есть люди, в которых живет дьявол. А есть люди, в которых живут только глисты. (Ф.Г.Раневская)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    Here you can read the whole first chapter at my publisher's dead site:
    Асилил. Пешы ещо!
    ППКС
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by луговой лютик
    Эта книга Юлии Большаковой под названием "Амазонкам дозволено все" так и пестрит народным говором.
    Kalinka_vinnie сделал суперский перевод, но все равно никто не сможет до конца перевести язык русской глубинки, пусть и искусственно произведенный г-жой Болшаковой.Давайте возьмем ,к примеру,шолоховского персонажа. Кто-нибудь сможет перевести сбивчивую речь деда Щукаря: "Оно хоша конечно, коли ежели чего, а что касается до обсуждения,то буквально. Если к этому вопросу подойти, с точки зрения развития концепции, то проходя через аналитическую точку понятия можно сказать, что так то оно так, да вот случись что, вот тебе на"(Это не точная цитата). Я даже не знаю как перевести данную тираду на русский LOL
    Есть такой девиз у переводчиков: нет ничего непереводимого! И это действительно так. Чтобы максимально грамотно перевести предложенную фразу, нужно провести довольно-таки обширное исследование с привлечением специалистов разного профиля - этнографов, историков, языковедов... Это самый максимум. Настоящий переводчик всегда найдёт достойный выход, даже если возможности провести полную работу не имеется. Учитывая голую фразу, выдранную из текста, можно посоветовать продумать варианты запутанного хода мысли, характерные для носителей языка такого возраста.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12