Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone translate this?

Новичок

Can someone translate this?

Hey I'm making a scrapbook for my friend who is Russian and I was wondering if someone could tranlate the following things for me?

This is me

This is my boyfriend Brian, he is such a sweetheart!

This is my friend

Here are pictures from marching band.

Подающий надежды оратор

Re: Can someone translate this?

Quote Originally Posted by cheering315
    Hey I'm making a scrapbook for my friend who is Russian and I was wondering if someone could tranlate the following things for me?

This is me

This is my boyfriend Brian, he is such a sweetheart!

This is my friend

Here are pictures from marching band.
    Here it is :

Это я.
    Это мой парень, он такой ... классный : - )
    Это мой друг (in case of if it's a man)
    Это моя подруга (woman)
    Мы выбираем путь, идем к своей мечте,
    И надо не свернуть с пути уже нигде.
    И стоит шаг пройти, заносит время сле-ед,
    Обратного пути у жизни просто нет.

Властелин

Re: Can someone translate this?

"Here are pictures from marching band." - If you mean that these are pictures of you and your friends that were taken while you were participating in this band, it can be translated as following:
    "Вот фотографии, где мы в марширующем оркестре."
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Завсегдатай
    Hun-hun, I do believe your friend can read English(especially if she's corresponding with an American, which I assume you are), so unless you really want to write in Russian, I suggest you do it in English. Why? It is just more special to receive something written in a foreign language from a foreign land that you can read and understand. I treasure all of the cards Russians have sent me because they're written in Russian and it is just neat to have something like that lying around - friends ask me "Hey, where is this from?" Much neater than a bunch of cards written in English lying around, anyway. If you write it in simple English she should understand just fine.

About "Here is my boyfriend, he's such a sweetheart", why have you translated it as he is "классный"? Wouldn't that make him more "cool" than "sweetheart-y"?
    Also, make sure you throw in some transliterated version of Brian too - Это мой парень Брайан, он такой....err....милый? Голубчик? Рыбка?

This is my friend.....Name? It makes things a little bit more interesting.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Голубчик? Рыбка?
    Душка is the word you're looking for. Or милый. Или миляга. Рыбка is exclusively for them girlies. Голубчик is kinda odd.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Подающий надежды оратор

About "Here is my boyfriend, he's such a sweetheart", why have you translated it as he is "классный"? Wouldn't that make him more "cool" than "sweetheart-y"?
    Also, make sure you throw in some transliterated version of Brian too - Это мой парень Брайан, он такой....err....милый? Голубчик? Рыбка?

I translated it as классный 'cause i don't think it's normal using the words "Голубчик" and "рыбка" . Also thought about "душка "
    You know, it's just my personal opinion, i would have said классный instead of other versions

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimon

I translated it as классный 'cause i don't think it's normal using the words "Голубчик" and "рыбка" nowadays . Also thought about "душка " Бат милый из ок

You know, it's just my personal opinion, i would have said классный or милый instead of other versions

Новичок
    Thank you guys so much for all of your help!

I have a few more things that I need some help translateing.

This is my best friend Jeanna. She is the craziest person I know. But she is also the sweetest person in the world.

He is so hott!

She made this one day durning school.

Властелин
    This is my best friend Jeanna. She is the craziest person I know. But she is also the sweetest person in the world. - Это моя лучшая подруга Джинна. Она самый безумный человек из всех кого я знаю. Но в то же время она самый милый человек на свете.

He is so hot! - Он такой сексуальный! (if by "hot" you meant sexually attractive)

She made this one day during school.
    If this sentence refers to the picture which shows what she did the translation is: "Однажды в школе она сделала вот что."

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendy

He is so hot! - Он такой сексуальный! (if by "hot" you meant sexually attractive)
    Oh, that sounds so naughty to me, especially for a friendly scrapbook exchange! Can't you just say he is красивый?

Почтенный гражданин
    For me this word «сексуальный» looks and sounds rather funny and literary because I am used to see it only in movies and books. If somebody from my friends say something similar to «Он такой сексуальный» very probably everyone will make fun of him and his silly look. Me thinks that word «hot» cannot be translated exactly. I mean we must just take all possible Russian expressions which are more or less close to «hot» and choose the more appropriate, rather than try to look for more exact translation which is actually never used in normal speech. In other words we don't have to translate English expressions very exactly if this exact translation is never used. Короче, Склифосовский! For me the most appropriate translation is «Он такой симпатичный!». Maybe it doesn't reflect the whole sense of the word «hot» but who cares. Word «симпатичный» is very neutral one. It mean both «beautiful» and (a bit less) «sexually attractive». And it is very popular word. Especially among girls (don't know if I am allowed to use «chicks» here ).

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendy

Oh, that sounds so naughty to me, especially for a friendly scrapbook exchange! Can't you just say he is красивый?
    Doesn't "hot" sound naughty in English too? And is "sexy" naughtier than "hot"?

For me "симпатичный" is too neutral (of course it can be pronounced with such an intonation that it won't be but that's another thing), I think that "красивый" is less neutral but of course the perception of such words is subjective in some way.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I think "хорошенький(ая)" is quite close. Depends on the intonation though

Завсегдатай
    Nope, sister, "hot" isn't naughty-sounding at all in English. It is used by youth to describe someone good-looking and "She is hot" has about as much sexual connotation as "She is pretty." Young people, however, are afraid of sounding too quaint, so they use the word "hot" to substitute for "pretty/handsome." In fact, I don't believe I have heard a teenager(besides myself) use the word "pretty" or "handsome." They always say "hot."

Почётный участник
    I say pretty as well as hot. Some people say fine, but I find that to be irritating.
    Let's all become Circumcellions.

Почтенный гражданин
    Nope, sister, "hot" isn't naughty-sounding at all in English. It is used by youth to describe someone good-looking and "She is hot" has about as much sexual connotation as "She is pretty." Young people, however, are afraid of sounding too quaint, so they use the word "hot" to substitute for "pretty/handsome." In fact, I don't believe I have heard a teenager(besides myself) use the word "pretty" or "handsome." They always say "hot."
    Not that I disagree with you, brother, but Google definitely does. I just asked it about "hot teens", and were they pretty, oh brother!
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Новичок
    what is the difference between "сексуальный" and "красивый"?

Почётный участник
    Sexy and Pretty I believe
    Let's all become Circumcellions.

Новичок
    Oh okay, thanks. And how do you say " This is Mike and Lexie. Aren't they such a cute couple?"

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by cheering315
    Oh okay, thanks. And how do you say " This is Mike and Lexie. Aren't they such a cute couple?"
    Это Майк и Лекси. Не правда ли они такая милая пара?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast