Thread: желтый билет

желтый билет

Я сейчас читаю по-русски "Преступление и Наказание" Достоевского (да, очень удивительно! как вы догодали что я люблю Достоевского?? )

Вопрос такой:

Когда Раскольников зашёл в разпивочное он встретил Мармеладова. Мармеладов говорит что "когда единородная дочь моя в первый раз по желтому билету пошла, и я тоже тогда пошел... (ибо дочь моя по желтому билету живет-с)"

По-английски переводит так: "When my own daughter first went out with a yellow ticket, than I had to go... (for my daughter has a yellow passport)

Что такое желтый билет? Можете и объяснить по-английски!

Заранее спасибо
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай
    Молодец! Are you finding Dotoyevsky as difficult to read as Russians claim he is?

The yellow ticket is what prostitutes back then had to have. Whether it serves in an identification or authorization role, or both, I can't really remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Молодец! Are you finding Dotoyevsky as difficult to read as Russians claim he is?
    Yes!!! Don't venture there unless you are mad, insane or happen to be Russian. If you are all of these, change your name to Верка Сердючка!

The yellow ticket is what prostitutes back then had to have. Whether it serves in an identification or authorization role, or both, I can't really remember.
    So prostitution was legal?

Завсегдатай
    Are you finding him hard to understand because of the vocabulary he uses or because of the way some of his sentences are structured?

Yes, I think so. Although I don't remember exactly what the yellow ticket does, I remember that it was some bit of bureaucracy you had to go through to be a prostitute. At least an official one, anyway.

Are you finding him hard to understand because of the vocabulary he uses or because of the way some of his sentences are structured?
    Mostly vocabulary. I have the book in english and even in english the vocabulary is difficult.

Yes, I think so. Although I don't remember exactly what the yellow ticket does, I remember that it was some bit of bureaucracy you had to go through to be a prostitute. At least an official one, anyway.
    How old are you, anyway!?

Why would anyone go to the trouble to get a yellow ticket, and not just offer their services on the sly... it's not like they want to get a certificate or something, I am pretty sure they are not happy about their occupation.

Завсегдатай
    How old are you, anyway!?
    Oh, I remember old Fedya when he was a young'un.

Why would anyone go to the trouble to get a yellow ticket, and not just offer their services on the sly... it's not like they want to get a certificate or something, I am pretty sure they are not happy about their occupation.
    I guess prostitution was only legal if you had the yellow ticket. I'm sure they're not happy about their occupation, but you wouldn't want to get in trouble with the law, would you?