Thread: единственное, что

единственное, что

Мой вопрос относится к выражению: "The only thing that ..." почему переводится с использованием средного рода c момента подразумеваемым пропущенным словом явлется: "единственная (вещь) ..."
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

You can safely use единственная вещь. As for the neutral gender when you omit вещь, it's because единственное becomes a noun of its own, there is no reference back at вещь there and since you mean something abstract with единственное it becomes neutral.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    You can safely use единственная вещь. As for the neutral gender when you omit вещь, it's because единственное becomes a noun of its own, there is no reference back at вещь there and since you mean something abstract with единственное it becomes neutral.
    Thanks iCake! You are absolutely right. It becomes a noun but I didn't know that its independence immediately transforms it to neutral. For example ванная remains female because the подразумеваемое слово is комната.
    Btw as I noticed I am celebrating 1,500 posts!
    I became "Завсегдатай"!! I don't even know what this word means! Now I possess new advanced superpowers?
    Omg! Still I didn't learn russian and I am keeping posting

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    For example ванная remains female because the подразумеваемое слово is комната.
    That's exactly the point, in that case ванная can only refer to one specific thing, which is комната. When you say единственное, что... единственное can refer to a multitute of things there, there is nothing specific that immediately associates with it, that's why it just must be neutral. Almost the same as вещь btw, you don't really know what the nature of вещь is until it's clarified further along in the sentence, but as вещь is a proper noun with its own gender, grammar rules demand you use femenine with it.

Congrats on becoming завсегдатай, let's hope I'll reach that high one day as well
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Is it correct to say:
    Единственное, что заставляет меня задумываться/задуматься/думать/подумать ...
    Какая правильная версия?

Все версии правильные в разных контекстах.
    Нужен именно тот контекст, который у вас в голове, чтобы сказать, какой из них правильный.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    задумываться/задуматься/думать/подумать
    sometimes/now or once/indefinite "do action"/indefinite "complete action"