Thread: Эллочка людоедка

Старший оракул

Эллочка людоедка

This is really for a native russian speaker, who still lives in the country. I'm not sure if anyone else would know about this, because it's a cultural thing.

But anyway, kalinka_vinnie and I were thinking, when is the phrase "у вас вся спина белая" typically used? I heard it was used when someone tries to make a joke that isnt really funny.

Any elaboration on that?

Thanks in advance!

Завсегдатай

Re: эллочка людоедка

Never heard this phrase outside the Devnadsat Stoolyev context. It's not used by normal people.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Властелин

Новичок
    Всё, что удалось найти http://www.kcn.ru/tat_ru/universitet/fi ... php?sod=16

"Что касается выражения У тебя вся спина белая, оно, скорее всего, в шутливой форме передает неловкую ситуацию, в которую попал собеседник:
    "Эрнст Павлович связал свои вещи в большой узел, завернул сапоги в газету и повернулся к дверям.
    -У тебя вся спина белая, - сказала Эллочка граммофонным голосом" [Ильф : 1977: 171]."

Властелин
    Sometimes people joke that way on the April Fool's day. (or joke about how they joke that way ). Of course it became a trite joke.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Завсегдатай
    Yeah, and I remember seeing a picture in some newspaper very long time ago that illustrates it as a joke. A white man in Africa says to a native passing by: "You've got your back white". And the latter was looking shocked.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    I made an explicit reference to that book by Ilf & Petrov, it is clear to anyone who has read it. I did not use the phrase the way the originator of this thread was asking about. My explanation still stands.

Властелин
    I really think it's about time you took another self-imposed sabatical Vendingmachine, at least until you start taking your medication again. Not only have you gone back to trying to turn every single thread into a fight (again), but this time you've even lost your sense of humour.

Welcome back to my ignore list.

Завсегдатай
    Thanks for the cordial welcome, scotcher. As a matter of fact I'm very surprised to hear that there was a time when I wasn't on your ignore list. (Though in your case it should really be called the "iggerance list" - it's a list of names of people whose logic and wit you can't and won't understand)

And no, I'm not trying to turn every single thread into a fight, I'm just trying to be objective and call a spade a spade.