Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: США и амер. политика, общество, люди. О жизни + всякое смешное

Властелин
    The USA is the only country that has morally degraded since the 18thcentury? Really?

I’ve never sang the US national anthem. Why? I stink at singing. I’ve never had a problem not singing. It is rude to talk during the singing of it though. I’ve never seen anybody not participate in the pledge of allegiance but am many years removed from going to school.

“That’s not what the founding fathers would have wanted” could be used when not having a valid argument, I guess, but to me is used mainly against those that believe that the ends justify the means and that the constitution is inconvenient and to be trampled on.

We in the USA, not like other parts of the world, are free to criticize our government. We are also free to criticize the founding fathers. My response to anyone (slavery is vile and never should have been allowed to continue when the constitution was written - women should've been allowed to vote) who criticizes the founders would be to ask why are you here? I’ve never had to ask though.

My great great great great great grandfather was in the very first battle of the American Revolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_lexington

and was injured. I’m proud that he was a part of the fight for freedom. For all the warts that the USA has, I hope to pass freedom down to the next generation.

All IMHO,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    What would happened to an American child who was disillusioned with wars, drones, NSA etc and refused to participate in the "pledge of allegiance" in US schools every day?
    For example if the child asked to be excused on conscientious grounds?

I always see Americans put their hands on their heart and look very serious when the US national anthem is played. However, I only know expats and saw it on TV - may not be "real" situations. Is it ok for somebody to not sing along and just stand passively, or even talk while the song is being sung?

I always see Americans referring to the "Founding Fathers" as if they were some semi-divine people, always right, always well intentioned. If you do not know who they were and are interested, list is here .

Please note that from a British perspective at the time, many of these people were illegal insurgents and terrorists. Worth bearing in mind when the US is pointing fingers and announcing to the world whose freedom fight is legit and democratic and who are terrorists.

Is it socially acceptable to criticize these people? In US talk show, the "founding father" argument is often pulled out to discredit opponents. "that's not what the founding fathers would have wanted!".
    It's like they are Christians quoting Jesus or Communists quoting Marx. What if somebody responded with "I don't care what those old codgers thought! Have you got any real arguments or just old fairy tales?"
    Is it ok to question their motivation and characters?

And doesn't it go without saying that anyone from the 18th century would be disgusted at the moral degradation of the US today? Hipocricy?

US Pledge of Allegiance (repeated every day in school)

One of the Founding Fathers allegedly "never told a lie". Is it ok to question the validity and motivation of these people?
    Lampada and Eric C. like this.

12 AMAZING ARMLESS PEOPLE

" The next time you think you just can't reach your goals in life, remember these amazing people who prove to us all, 'where there is a will, there is a way.' We all have challenges in life, but it's what we do with those challenges that counts.

ARMLESS SWIMMER - IRA KAPLAN

Adopted from Siberia without arms by a couple is Seattle, Washington. Ira began swimming when she was 5. She refused to stay out of the water and kept jumping back in each time her parents fished her out. They finally decided she needed swim lessons. Now she swims on the school team.

ARMLESS ARCHER - MATT STUTZMAN

Matt Stutzman was born without arms, but that didn't stop him from becoming a competitive archer (video via BP Team USA). Stutzman holds the record for the longest archery shot (230 yards), is a member of the ParaUSA Archery Team, and hopes to compete in the 2012 Paralympics in London.

ARMLESS FITNESS MODEL & MOTHER - BARNARA GUERRA AKA BARBIE STEINSHOLT THOMAS

Barbie lost her arms in an electrical accident as a young girl. Barbie however went on to be a fitness expert and homemaker despite her challenges. From her blog she writes "I believe God had a plan for me. I am here to serve a purpose. . .All I can say is I'll do my best!" Visit her webpage at http://www.fitnessunarmed.com

ARMLESS SABINE BECKER

Sabine Baker is a Thalidomide survivor. She was born with small arms and had to learn to use her feet as if they were her arms. She is now a motivational speaker who motivates audiences with examples of her life and messages about rising above our challenges through thinking differently and never giving up. More info on her web page at nmspiritdancer.com

ARMLESS DRUMMER - CORNEL HRISCA-MUNN

Defying life's challenges is one thing, but armless Romanian drummer Cornel Hrisca-Munn could give even the top musicians heat at their game. The 20-year-old Romanian, brought to England orphaned with no arms and a deformed leg, has put his remarkable percussive skills on display via his YouTube channel. You can check it out at Cornel Hrisca-Munn - YouTube

ARMLESS PIANIST - LIU WEI

Liu Wei lost both of his arms years ago when he was electrocuted during a game of hide and seek. He said playing piano with his feet was hard at first and it gave him cuts and cramps, but he mastered the instrument over time. He won China's Got Talent playing a piano with his feet. After his first performance he told judges with a winning adorable grin: "There's no rule that says piano can only be played with hands." And if there was, it's officially broken.

ARMLESS GUTAR PLAYER - MARK GOFFENEY

Mark Goffeney from BigToe Band is a native San Diegan. Born without arms in 1969, Mark was raised to see himself as an equal in society and to value independence. His talent and ambition have helped him to achieve ongoing success as a performer, speaker and television personality. Visit his website athttp://bigtoerocks.com

ARMLESS BASEBALL - TOM WILLIS

A San Diego man born without arms is on a campaign to throw the first pitch of a game at every Major League Baseball stadium in the country.Tom Willis is well on the way to accomplishing his goal. Over the past couple of seasons, he has thrown from the pitcher's mound at multiple ballparks around the United States. Willis is also a San Diego-based motivational speaker whose program is called "No Hands? No Arms? No Problem. Stop by his webpage atWelcome to Tomsfeet Productions

ARMLESS & LEGLESS WRESTLER -- KYLE MAYNARD

Kyle Maynard is a motivational speaker, author, entrepreneur and athlete. Despite being born with arms that end at the elbows and legs near the knees, Kyle's wrestled for one of the best teams in the Southeast, set records in weightlifting, fought in mixed martial arts, and most recently became the first man to crawl on his own to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa. VISIT HIS WEBSITE AT http://kyle-maynard.com "
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Comedian Larry the Cable guy. (He is being sarcastic here. Just in case...).

Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    Good, but don't forget the near 500,000 Iraqis who have died since the US first started its vendetta against Iraq/

Hanna

12 AMAZING ARMLESS PEOPLE

" The next time you think you just can't reach your goals in life, remember these amazing people who prove to us all, 'where there is a will, there is a way.' We all have challenges in life, but it's what we do with those challenges that counts.
    "
    There is a man without arms (thalidomide victim) who runs a ferry service across the river Thames near my building. Just motor dinghy for people who are out walking and don't want to walk to the next bridge. It's amazing to see how he manages the boat entirely without normal arms. He's got some kind of hands attached to little stubs coming off his shoulders. As far as I know, all thalidomide victims in Europe got some form of settlements and don't really have to work much. But he does hard physical labour almost every day in the summer.

Властелин
    Maybe if this didn't happen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Kuwait

The USA would've had no business there.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Good, but don't forget the near 500,000 Iraqis who have died since the US first started its vendetta against Iraq/

Hanna likes this.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Властелин

fortheether likes this.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Some comments:

Tim Baer Alas, cancer "research" and "treatment" is a billion dollar industry that they will not allow to end. So his results will be buried.

Ricky Baldwin This kid will most Likely turn up missing

Kit LeCœur De'la Mer The government already has a cure for cancer, but they wont release it because it's a 95 billion dollar industry. The government doesn't care about people. All they want is money from us.

Terruh Vanderhaar He has it patented and is working right now with companies to make a safe over the counter test. If this kid keeps it up he's going to figure out how to defeat the disease and I hope he does I hope someone does.
    fortheether and Hanna like this.

Властелин
    Lampada likes this.

Дожились !

FBI director: Zero tolerance pot policy kills our ability to hire cyber war programmers

" FBI director James Comey said this week that the bureau may be forced to change its drug policy because the U.S. could not find enough programmers who did not use marijuana to fight cyber crime.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Comey told the White Collar Crime Institute’s annual conference on Monday that it was going to be difficult to fill the 2,000 new jobs that Congress had authorized this year.

“I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cyber criminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,” Comey explained.
    ... "

"Just kidding!" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5367882.html

Властелин
    That's funny, the same quote can be used on Joe Biden also.

Scott

Some comments on FB:

LindaTony Martinenko And as much as I love you guys for spreading this information - You are "usually" speaking to the choir my friends. Keep up the great work but PLEASE spread this info to the general public by supporting "March against the Mainstream Media" at www.mamsm.info in any way you can. The March is next Saturday and it is not too late to add your own event to the event page or join one already in motion - Unity is Key here Folks - Thanks for your good work !!

Cory Paisley
    Why are us Americans who see through the lies and whatnot with our government and praise other countries revolutions, yet we still do not revolt?

Margaret Sturman too busy making a living, watching reality tv and hoping someone else will do it.
    Hanna likes this.

The Collection Online | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Vsevolod Mikhailovich Garshin (1855–188

Ilia Efimovich Repin

Date: 1800–1880
    Culture: Russian
    Medium: metal silk, paper, cotton, metal, mother-of-pearl, glass, semi-precious stones

Ensemble

Date: third quarter 17th–19th century
    Culture: Russian
    Medium: linen, cotton, wool, pigment, metal, silk, glass, mother-of-pearl

Snow, Winter in Vitebsk

Marc Chagall

Red Sunset on the Dnieper

Arkhip Ivanovich Kuindzhi
    (Russian, Mariupol 1842–1910 St. Petersburg)

Date: 19th century
    Medium: Watercolor
    Hanna likes this.

Это все, конечно, замечательно, но как это относится к теме треда?

Quote Originally Posted by dtrq View Post
    Это все, конечно, замечательно, но как это относится к теме треда?
    Да, замечательно, что можно посмотреть. Можно, конечно, открыть отдельную тему. Например: Русское искусство в американских музеях.

Музей Хиллвуд (англ. Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens) — музей в городе Вашингтон (США). Обладатель одной из лучших коллекций русского искусства на Западе.

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/about-...ian-collection

К Е Маковский Боярский свадебный пир в xvii веке 1883

Есть мнение, что 50 миллионов на спасение пчёл катастрофически мало.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast