Thread: Ива́н Гро́зный​

Почётный участник

Ива́н Гро́зный​

So, I was reading the wiki page for Ivan the Terrible, and it said Гро́зный​ translates more as mighty and strict. And google translates it as "formidable." I always had the idea of Ivan the Terrible as evil and awful, which he may have been, but do you guys agree, is this translation, Гро́зный to Terrible, a misnomer.

Re: Ива́н Гро́зный​

Quote Originally Posted by kybarry
    So, I was reading the wiki page for Ivan the Terrible, and it said Гро́зный​ translates more as mighty and strict. And google translates it as "formidable." I always had the idea of Ivan the Terrible as evil and awful, which he may have been, but do you guys agree, is this translation, Гро́зный to Terrible, a misnomer.
    I'd literally translate the word Грозный as Threatening or Dangerous but its meaning by itself expresses respect rather than fear.

Here are some examples from vocabulary:

a formidable foe to take care of — грозный враг, которого непросто одолеть

dangerous weapon — грозное оружие

grave symptoms — угрожающие /грозные/ симптомы

a truculent hands-off manner — грозный и неприступный вид

to loom large — выглядеть грозным, угрожающим

the frowning cliffs that palisade the shore — грозные скалы, которые окружают берег
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Подающий надежды оратор

Всё дело в различном восприятии его европейцами и россиянами.
    Для европейцев он Ivan the Terrible (ужасный).
    Для россиян - Иван Грозный (formidable, redoubtable, fearsome, angry, bodeful)

The whole thing in a different perception of it by the Europeans and Russians.
    For Europeans it "Ivan the Terrible" (ужасный).
    For Russians it "Иван Грозный" (formidable, redoubtable, fearsome, angry, bodeful)
    Friends, I am ready to assist you in learning the Russian language. And you help me in learning English, please. Who agree - write to me in ICQ or e-mail: shkesper-5@yandex.ru. My skype: a36226. Let's help each other.

Подающий надежды оратор

Если сравнивать Ивана Васильевича, с другими царями, а затем и императорами земли русской, то (лично для меня) вся его "грозность" сводится к тому, что когда он родился в Москве была страшная гроза. А так он был одним из милейших и добрейших из правителей на Руси...
    Пишу с ашипками

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Boroda
    Если сравнивать Ивана Васильевича, с другими царями, а затем и императорами земли русской, то (лично для меня) вся его "грозность" сводится к тому, что когда он родился в Москве была страшная гроза. А так он был одним из милейших и добрейших из правителей на Руси...
    Да-да, и ещё он на нашего Буншу похож. (с)
    В основном безвреден.

Quote Originally Posted by Boroda
    хочется добавить: "... как сейчас помню - такая душка!"
    Send me a PM if you need me.