Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Дежурная улыбка

@ Deborski.
    Yeah, that's mostly my expression too unless something happens. But I never know how I look then if someone doesnt tell me. I do know how i looked when I crashed my skateboard cause I had to get to the restroom to get doctored and there's a huge mirror. I just looked dirty and all spooked. Well, it was a good call to be spooked cause my ribs got fractured. But I just know I had a huge smile last Christmas when I got my new mountain bike! That was awesome!
    Btw, you look really cool. Is your hair brown? Mine's brown but it's shorter now and it's spiked.

@ Bob.
    Yeah, people that smile just to be smiling are kinda creepy. Maybe cause I've seen mentally challenged people smile a lot so I just wonder how stable they are. A dude at the sandwich shop was always smiling but he finally quit, yay. But he's really cool so maybe people just have different ways to interface.

@ the OP.
    Well, it owns that they finally agreed on a solution for Assad's chemical weapons but that won't help if they don't get the chemical weapons away from the rebels too. It only fixes half the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман View Post
    If I had not known who you are, I would think it is a photo of a Russian girl

Actually, I find it more comfortable to communicate with a person whose facial expression reflects their real feelings (so that I can understand the emotions, which I find very important for mutual understanding), rather with a someone with a permanent smiling mask on.
    In America, if you are not smiling, some people will actually tell you "SMILE!"
    It annoys me, but that's just the culture here. I don't always understand it really.
    As for that photo, I was specifically told not to smile when they took it. It was the procedure of the time for all official Soviet photos.
    Interestingly, in the US, some states are starting to ask people not to smile when they take drivers' license photos, etc.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Hanna
    I find it super-creepy when I speak on the phone with Americans and they start throwing around platitudes about "ma'am" and "have a nice day". While in many cases being totally unhelpful.

I am aware of this "grumpy" stereotype about Eastern and Northern Europeans, but it's basically false -- I don't think there is much difference in the actual help you get, just the way you get it.

I absolutely can't stand fake smiles!
    Of course, I also don't like the uber-grumpy, almost angry stare you sometimes get by some Eastern Europeans when you enter a shop or something like that. But at least it's not fake. In my experience, once you start talking to the person they are perfectly nice and helpful. I don't need phony smiles. I don't get why it's such a big deal to Americans, for people to smile. Seems to me like many people are rude and arrogant, while smiling. I think phoniness is a lot worse than being reserved.

Only yesterday at work, I got a totally incompetent and unhelpful email starting by a long rant about how pleased the person was to be able to "assist me" and ending with "Have a great day!" When I got back to say that my question had not been answered, I got some useless nonsense back with yet another "Have a great day". What they really meant was obviously "P-ss off"! They had hardly bothered to read the information I provided, and certainly couldn't be bothered to answer the question.
    But they could wish me a great day!

My real-life US experience is limited, but based on what I heard, I am sure I would just feel uneasy if waitresses were being overly friendly for the purpose of getting tips. IMO, they should be paid a living salary instead, so they can go about their job with a bit of dignity. From a waitress, I expect to be served food, not get a new friend, or cheer me up.

I hate it when I check into a hotel and staff rush to carry stuff I am perfectly capable of carrying myself, opening doors when it's not needed and things like this. I have no idea how to tip American style and it seems at many non-US hotels they are now expecting it. I prefer the old European style when you simply asked for the help you needed and everything was included in the bill.

Here in the UK I hate when people constantly ask "How are you?" despite the fact they usually couldn't care less. Definitely a cultural thing. It's like a mumbled greeting "yoallright?" and the only acceptable greeting is something similar back. It's also almost hilarious how English people are ALWAYS ready with some commentary on the weather, rather than just accepting 30 seconds of silence.

Властелин
    If a person smiles because they get used to doing it on some occasions, rather than because they're amused with something - it's still NOT a fake smile, for it comes from inside, and the person isn't told what to do; while it's a known fact that smiling faces make up your mood in a much better way than those saying "what the f..k do you want", so I prefer cultures that encourage people to smile; anyway, it's rather stupid to come to LIVE in a country and complain about something the local culture features; there are over 200 countries on this planet, and even if one's a radical commie/dictatorship lover, etc., they could still pick a country that would totally fit them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456