Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Водитель для Веры

Увлечённый спикер
    Well, this particular file I downloaded (only for educational purposes of course and watched only first 30 secs allowed for promotion and then immediatedly wiped from HD) in about 3 days.

The second thought - MIPAA and other witchhunting societies seem not to be aware of Russian film industry at all, so, if there's no one to execute the law - sharing Russian films is perfectly legal, or am I wrong?

Завсегдатай
    I don't have any problem with it. I was just being sarcastic because at first I typed "e-(certain animal)" and the forum filtered it out like a swear word.

Завсегдатай
    (mule) sucks. It takes sooooooooo long to connect.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    (mule) sucks. It takes sooooooooo long to connect.
    <offtopic>
    Do you know a better way? News/BitTorrent aren't the best options for rare files. And time to connect <to available sources> for "непарнокопытного" depends on "Max new connections /5 sec" advanced setting. If you would set it to high enough value, it'll be quite fast ( if your machine can handle the load ).
    </offtopic>

Завсегдатай
    yes i do, actually. I know two ways.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    Well, thanks for the advice Denis, but I am afriad my computer is too slow for that kind of downloading....maybe I will try it whenever I upgrade my computer. I think I will just stick to ordering for now.

Завсегдатай
    its not actually your computer that is too slow, it would be your connection (And really there is noconnection too slow, if you have the patience). But since u already said u have cable. Then what's the holdup?

Завсегдатай
    E-animal of burden downloads are always around dialup speed anyway, so it's really just a question of how long you can keep your connection on.

JB
    Старший оракул
    Pravit, I saw the movie on TV in Moscow, no subtitles.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Завсегдатай
    Cool!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    TATY and JB, did you guys watch it with subtitles?
    Yes. I saw it in my film class at univerisity.
    Lucky you. I had to watch it twice to catch everything, although I understood the general story the first time around.
    How long has it taken any of you guys before you were able to follow the Russian films without subtitles? Or if you haven't grown out of it yet, does it frustrate you when you don't follow it? And do you ever watch Russian films with Russian (as opposed to English) subtitles? That's the way I'm experimenting with my listening practice for my more developed languages at the moment. Of course, DVD's would be required for that function. Do you don't see any short-comings in doing it this way, do you? Eventually of course, I hope to grow out of subtitles altogether. But at the moment, it frusrates me to try and follow films when they're out of my league.

У меня образовалась вредная привычка смотреть телевизор с closed captioning. Наверное, когда язык неродной, что-то когда-никогда и пропустишь, даже если и знаешь язык неплохо.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин
    The coast of Crimea is indeed beautiful! If you want to look at a lot of pictures, look here. http://sevastopol.russian-women.net/
    Не балуй!

Завсегдатай
    There are some inland areas that are nice-looking too, Haksaw, at least from what I've seen.

About your question Brett, I still need to watch films twice before I catch most(not all) of what people are saying. The first time, I get the general idea of the story and what they're talking about. It takes another time or two before I know exactly what they're saying. Of course it frustrates me, but there's nothing much you can do except get used to the language.

There are some inland areas that are nice-looking too, ...
    I second it.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

JB
    Старший оракул
    If I watch films with subtitles I end up reading the English and not listening to the Russian and thus miss a lot of the meaning/feeling/jokes. If I don't understand something I look it up in my dictionary during the commercials or just ask my husband if he's watching the movie with me. The only time I see Russian subtitles is if a movie has "foreigners" in it and they are speaking another language. But usually there is a voice-over translation and rarely subtitles.

Старший оракул
    An awful lot of Russian DVDs do indeed have Russian subtitles. I have several like that. Especially the older classics. It's irritating, but a lot of modern releases don't seem to bother with them. At least that's how I remember it from last year.

Dubbing is incredibly irritating. An abomination. There are a few countries in the world where cinemas favour subtitles for foreign films, but unfortunately Russia is not one of them.

And brett, yes, of course use Russian subtitles if you have them. There's basically no educational value in watching with English subtitles.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

JB
    Старший оракул
    A lot of the (American) movies at the keno theater have such good dubbing that it seems like they were made in Russian language. Even the voices sound like the original voices of the English speaking actors. But the voice-over dubbing on TV is so annoying that sometimes I just change the channel. I do like watching some of the American shows like "Pimp My Ride" and "The Osborns" though because you can hear the English underneath and the voice-over translation is a hoot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12