2 3.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone from?

Подающий надежды оратор
    ????????????

*fail words*

Шикаго

Hi Alice,

A majority of Chicago natives (actually all of them) - and practically the entire country, pronounce the 'Ch' very similar to 'Sh' as in 'Shelf' (like Шикаго), as mentioned by луговой лютик. That's the best suggestion I can give. So this one isn't exactly that phonetic.
    If only you could see . . . what I have seen, with your eyes.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I am from London, England

Подающий надежды оратор
    Born in Haderslev, Denmark (25.000 inhabitants)...

... moved to Aarhus, Denmark to study at university (25.000 students, 275.000 inhabitants, 2nd largest city in Denmark).

Been to Russia 2x2 weeks + 1x1 week on holiday.

Been working 2 months in Africa, 2 Months in Asia, been in the US 2x2 weeks. Been around most of Europe (all of EU except Ireland + Italy)

I could live in most places of the world apart from Bangladesh.

Старший оракул
    You've been all round Europe and you missed Italy???
    I'd rather have missed Germany or Belgium, personally, or maybe the Netherlands - but I actually did miss that one so I'm not sure
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I lived and worked in Italy for about 6 months on a couple occasions. I found it more liveable than the the US. Each time I returned to to the US it was quite a shock to get off the plane. One thing I remember fondly about Italy was that, for me it was impossible to walk home from a disco, without a small car packed full of girls stopping to entice me in with them.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Новичок
    I'm from Kiev (Ukraine) but now I live in Dubai. I love Dubai! You can't imagine how exciting is east culture when you really see it from within. Dubai is multinational city....arabs, indians, pakistani, fillipinos, westerns, and of course Russians
    Open mind for a different view...
    and nothing else matters...

Старший оракул
    I am a Ukrainian too. Where is Dubai? I was adopted from an orphanage at age four and a half, now I live in the USA. I was adopted with my two sisters, Vera and Ania. We hope to go back to visit our family there.
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Новичок
    to Евгения:

Dubai is one of the seven emirates which constitute Unite Arab Emirates (UAE) Have you heard about it? It has long been famous as a great city and sea port connecting East and West. Nowadays Dubai has become a major shopping and economic centre in the Middle East, thanks to its excellent location at the heart of the Arabian Gulf, oil resourses, sage policy etc.
    Open mind for a different view...
    and nothing else matters...

Почтенный гражданин
    I'm from Sydney, Australia.There are many of everyone here, Russians too.Numerous athletes representing our country are from Eastern European countries.(Our ethnic soccer players are Croatian and Greek).The world champion lightweight(?) boxer Costya Tzu (spelling?), is a proud Russian.Though on a civilian level racial relations are great here (respecting that there's always exceptions), the media ain't so true to the spirit.Costya Tzu was pretty much co-erced into saying he was 'more Australian' than Russian.I found that very arrogant of them.He obviously loves living in Australia, but it was equally obvious that he was holding back from saying "I see myself as Russian".Only in an interview in the USA, was he free to say "No, I'm not Australian, though I love Australia.I'm Russian"(not exact quote).That's ashame.True multi-culturalism would mean we be happy to have him here, AND let him wear a Russian flag on his shorts.Also, the olympic gold-medalist swimmer Alexander Popov is a Russian living and training in Australia.I think he may have escaped being forced to represent Australia.I'm not sure.But, there's always politics forcing a denouncing of homeland for celebrity athletes.But its very pleasant on the civilian level.I'd heard that Costya Tzu had been advised that Australia was better for a Russian than Europe or America.But, that may be based on more career-specific factors, than actually better standard of Russian living.Thre's plenty of Russian musicians recording here too.So, I get the impression there's a bigger Russian community than I know about.There's always Russian fiction books in the public libraries.That must say something about the population.Maybe, the more I learn Russian, the more I'll find that the towns I thought were Croatian or Greek, are actually Russian.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Re: I'm from Australia.We have our fair share of Russian peo

Quote Originally Posted by brett
    I'd heard that Costya Tzu had been advised that Australia was better for a Russian than Europe or America.But, that may be based on more career-specific factors, than actually better standard of Russian living.
    You can be almost certain that he meant Australia was better to live in, period. The Russians and Europeans that I have met here in the USA who have been to Australia all wished that they had stayed in Australia instead of US. Being a foreigner here myself I am privvy to what Russians REAL thoughts are, about life in the US. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that they are anti American....it's more like a "love-hate" relationship.

By the way, you did not mention the Serbian soccer team in Sydney. A friend of mine played on that team. I dont know if it was officially Serbian or just a lot of Serbs in one team. My friend did not like playing against the Croation team because he thought that they were "always bringing up the past problems of the "old Country" which dont exist there anymore. We came to Australia to leave that behind."..........I guess he was wrong about that. This was just before the fighting broke out in Yugoslavia.
    PS Everyone knows that real Aussies don't play Soccer, anyway!!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Hi DDT.Yes, I new Croatian soccer had a rival, but I couldn't remember which nationality.I find it hard to keep track of which country is which.There's so many new countries from former Yugoslavia, Czecoslovakia and Russia.Yes, Serbia rings a bell.The 'nationality' references in the team's names has been banned now, because the ethnic issues have gotten violent.
    Yes, I do hear from Australia's immigrants that they prefer Australia to USA and Europe, but I didn't want to be presumptuous that USA and European immigrants wouldn't be saying the same about their new homes.(And, it never sounds good when one is too complimentary about their own country).I think USA and Europe are more culturally exciting for immigant expression, though.There's so many festivals in USA and Europe.Whereas in Australia, it's 'easier', but not neccessarily as exciting to live.Immigrants very integrated.Perhaps to the point that the ethnic expression isn't as obvious or stimulating.That's the trade-off, I guess.If you get the excitement, you get excitement's flip-side of the coin.Australia is minus both the exciting, but fortunately also minus the high tension extremes of multi-culturalism.Our aboriginals are treated worse than the immigrants, and along with it, that flip-side I'm talking about... Aboriginal art and culture is thriving and always there without you having to look for it.(Sorry Site Administrator.We're losing sight of the 'Russian Language' purpose of your site.We can't seem to help ourselves, can we?).

Почтенный гражданин
    yo vivo en paris, desde el primer dia de mi vida.
    et ouais, vive les chiens morts!
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Увлечённый спикер
    Я живу в Бразилия !

Correction: Я живу в Бразилии!
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Властелин

Live in USA

Right now I live in Las Vegas but in less than a week are moving back to New York state about 40 miles north of New York City.

Scott

Почтенный гражданин
    brett wrote:
    There's so many new countries from former Yugoslavia, Czecoslovakia and Russia
    just to wipe out the dust:

czechoslovakia splitted in the czech republic and slovakia.
    russia is russia as far as i know but the ussr collapsed to give birth to 15 independent countries (the former ssr), the russian federation being one of them.
    yugoslavia still exists and its official name is the federation of serbia and montenegro. these two republics were part of a bigger country also called yugoslavia that included (from north to south, more or less) slovenia, croatia, bosnia-herzegovina, serbia, montenegro and makedonia (which official name is ridiculous by the way).
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Новичок
    I live in Canada, but am Polish and I'm not a citizen here (been living here for about 15 years )

Подающий надежды оратор
    I live in Barcelona (Spain). 18 months ago I adopted a 6 years old chlid from the Russian Fedeeration. I'm interested in russian language and culture.
    Без труда не вынешьрыбку из пруда

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by teixman
    I live in Barcelona (Spain). 18 months ago I adopted a 6 years old chlid from the Russian Fedeeration. I'm interested in russian language and culture.
    I am also Spaniard who is living in Valencia.
    What is your opinion about the controversial between Catalan/valenciano???
    I could dance with you till the cows come home...On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows when you came home

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast