Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: violence in moscow

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Yes waxwing, his name is Winston. And russkayalove I receive enough attention from the local Russian girls who live near me that I don't need to visit MR or even Russia. I am not the settling down sort of guy anyway......hmm, I hear North Carolina is nice.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Властелин
    Statistics...

Half the neonazis in the world may well be in Russia, you may even have twice or three times the chance of being attacked there by one that anywhere else.

But twice or three times a ridiculously small chance is still a pretty bloody unlikely event.

Like buying two lottery tickets really. Sure, you have twice as much chance of winning, but you still aren't going to.

Почтенный гражданин
    There have been some instances where I felt unsafe in Russia (St. Petersburg), and there have been reports about racially motivated crimes (violent and bloody skinhead raids on markets, where a large % of the people is usually from the Caucasus region and the stabbing to death of a 6-year old Tadzjik girl in Piter, for example), but for the most part any sound advice you would give someone who is planning on visiting New York or London, will also be applicable to Russia. Especially when you are white, getting robbed will be your biggest worry. Don't let your Canon-camera dangle playfully around your wrist and you should be fine. Having half a brain will go a long way in keeping you safe, even in Nazi Russia...
    "мужчина в самом рассвете сил"

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    The end.

Re: violence in moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck
    Привет.
    Hello everyone. I'm Kevin, a mere a first year Russian student in Olympia Washington. I'll be doing some more Russian work this summer in Indiana, and then heading to Moscow come September.
    You're welcome.

I have been worried lateley about violence, however. I have read many articles explaining the increasing Neo-Nazi problem in Moscow.
    This problem exists, but it's seriously exaggerated by media.
    Although I live in Moscow for all my life, I NEVER seen real neo-nazi (I mean, in flesh, not on TV screen )

Over half of the world's Neo-Nazis are in Russia!
    What an interesting statement.
    First, I wonder who and how managed to count all neo-nazis in the world.

A study abroad program my friend participated in a few years ago said there was a Mexican American student in her group. She said he would often recieve catcalls and sometimes outright threats in public, as many people mistook him for a Chechen.
    Mistaking latino-american and north-caucasian seems to be extremelly silly. Totally different racial types.

I guess what I am asking is how do people keep themselves safe?
    Avoid unlit streets in night -- and you will be 99%-safe.

I am myself white, but still an America. Are there areas of Moscow that are worse than other? Like, a "no-go" zone?
    Again, this question is too general.
    Ofcourse, Tverskaya ulitsa in bright day is *much* safer place than outskirts of Kapotnya industrial zone in midnight.
    But even this depends.

I will be staying near остановка метро "Выхино". Is there anything specific about this area I should know?
    The only good thing about this location I can say: it's probably extremely cheap.
    Alas, all other points aren't such good. This region, like almost entire YuVAO (Southeast Administrative District) is poor, mostly industrial and not very good ecologically.
    And the overall traffic, and especially hordes of people running through metro "Vykhino" in morning/evening peak hours probably can trample flat all neo-nazis in the world even without noticing it.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Завсегдатай
    even in Nazi Russia...
    Wash your mouth out with soap, Yozh!
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Почётный участник
    Thanks Scorpio, that was very helpful.

About the claim about half the worlds Neo-Nazis being in Russia - it was made by Pravda, which as far as I can tell, would be more likely to exaggerate to the low side of that figure. I can still believe that the situation is exaggerated by the media in general, though. We have many issues in America that get blown out of proportion (don't get me started on the War on Terror).

I'm not sure if I can see the State's interest in inflating Neo-Nazism as a problem. Such stories are always good at distracting people from other issues, but in this case I think it actually directs people's attentetion towards issues that the Kremlin would rather people not think of sympathetically - namely the plight of people in the Caucasus. Other action by Putin, his language in response to Beslan (calling them international terrorists and such), treated the attack as a military, rather than social problem. Creating sympathy towards Chechens, by portraying racial minorities as victims to Russian hate crimes, would seem to undermine the state's interest keeping people in support of continued hostile action towards Chechnya.

Some posters seem to think it should be obvious for me to know the problem isn't major, but please remember that it is difficult to know the truth about an issue if you have never been there. I didn't mean to seem focused on Neo-Nazism as if I'm engaged in some kind of moral crusade, I just was concerned about it's manifestation as violence.

I guess in an ironic way, Neo-Nazism is just another example of the freedom of the broad ideological spectrum that now exists in Russia.

I'm glad that in ЮВАО I will be forced to see the problems of Russia today along with the good. I'm really going there to learn about the country and people, not just see touristy landmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I finally found this site again. An Asian guy's experience travelling across Russia complete with photographs.
    Make sure you click on his "photo journal" and then click "on view as a guest"
    http://www.geocities.com/wwu777us/
    A quote from the asian guy who wrote that

Propaganda vs. Real Life in America
    http://www.geocities.com/wwu777us/Propa ... merica.htm

Teenagers could go to the hedgerows or parks and make love in the bushes. I , BTW, started drinking alcohol at age 12.
    Man, just as if THAT would not happen here...

He has some points, but hey he is exagerating a bit. As if in Europe we don't have to worry about repaying the mortgage for our house. Bullshit. I can find you a ton more.

He is the guy doing propaganda

Завсегдатай
    Surprisingly enough, I don't think anything written on Winston's site has to do with the subject of this thread. Or that anyone on this forum cares about what's on Winston's site, besides you.

BTW, nice post, Scorpio.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    even in Nazi Russia...
    Wash your mouth out with soap, Yozh!
    Notice the , VM!

"мужчина в самом рассвете сил"

Старший оракул
    I "care" about Winston. I think I still have a file on my computer somewhere that's called "Winston_arse.txt"
    He posted virtually a whole book's worth of drivel on an English teaching website, pontificating about how much greater life is in Russia because he thinks he can get laid there or because he thinks people don't pay mortgages or something.

->Oh, just noticed Mordan wrote that too. Yep, that's the long and the short of it.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Завсегдатай
    Yep, but everyone already knows he's a wacko. And it really has nothing to do with the thread. Of course, bashing easy targets is always fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Surprisingly enough, I don't think anything written on Winston's site has to do with the subject of this thread. Or that anyone on this forum cares about what's on Winston's site, besides you.

BTW, nice post, Scorpio.
    LOl yea right. Just could not help writing a comment for the people who might have read the link provided by DDT

heh

JB
    Старший оракул
    I think Winston has experienced violence in Russia because where ever he goes people just can't resist the urge to beat him up.
    And I keep searching for those Neo-nazis in Moscow but I can't seem to find them. Maybe they hibernate for the winter just like those bears that are usually in the streets.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I think that you are all missing the point of the post about Winston. The point is that he did not get treated any worse in Russia than anywhere else, even Winston himself says this.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12