Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Greatest Hits of Russian Cinema +100 Films / Movies

Старший оракул

Re: UPDATED: Greatest Hits of Russian Cinema +100 Films / Movies

ну, я не считаю, что чел. фактор это исключительно любовная интрига, она просто первая пришла в голову (потому что наверное Дом 2 насмотрелся )
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Hanna

UPDATED:

Johanna, you had mentioned that there is a lack of films from 90es in the list, and I'v remembered the one that I like (when I saw it on TV couple of days ago). It's Shirly-Mirly (1995) by Vladimir Menshov (the one who got an Oscar for "Moscow don't believe in tears"). It's a very dumb comedy but I love it!
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna

Thanks for the tip!
    I recognise the title but I don't know anything about it. I don't think I've seen it - must have just heard the name.
    But I can't find anything about it on IMDB, or anywhere really!
    How is this spelled in Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    How is this spelled in Russian?
    Ширли-мырли
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Почтенный гражданин

What, no "В бой идут одни старики"/Only Old Men Are Going to Battle?! That's my favourite Russian film (although strictly speaking it's Ukrainian, since it was written and directed by the great Ukrainian actor Leonid Bykov).
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Hanna

Interesting! Well, in my opinion the list should be about films in the Russian language and that the location is less important. Let's see what other people think.. I don't know anything about this film.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    although strictly speaking it's Ukrainian, since it was written and directed by the great Ukrainian actor Leonid Bykov.
    Оранжевая чумка?

Почтенный гражданин

It's a war drama about Russian (I s'pose I should say Soviet ) fighter pilots in WWII and it's absolutely great. Besides drama it's got wonderful songs and a lot of jokes. As far as know it's loved by many Russian people, so I was a bit surprised not to find it on the list - it is a Soviet film although it was made by the Dovzhenko studio, which is in Kiev, if I'm not mistaken, and the great Ukrainian Leonid Bykov stars in it, besides having written and directed it as well. Bykov has got a wonderful monument to himself in Kiev. My eternal gratitude goes to Ukraine for having produced this man.

And, you know, I used to think the Ukrainian language was a bit funny (and I do still, in fact, - lots of words sound funny to my Russian ear), but when Vladimir Talashko sings (in Ukrainian) "Нiч яка мiсячна" in this film I always cry . I didn't understand it, of course, the first time I heard it, as I don't understand Ukrainian properly, but I did catch one line (though somewhat vaguely) "Я ж тебе, вірная, аж до хатиноньки Сам на руках однесу".

Oh, and I see "Карнавальная ночь"/Carnival night is not on the list. It's not exactly my favourite, not in my 30 favourites, actually, but it's got the famous Lyudmila Gurchenko in it and it always gets shown on New Year. It's got this famous song in it - "Пять минут"/"Five minutes". Oh well, I suppose it's not possible to cram everything into just one hundred. I haven't seen many of the films listed here, but I suppose they're not famous for nothing. Has anyone actually seen "Бумер"? Does it deserve its pIace here? Because I haven't and somehow I've got but a poor impression of it... I'm a bit apprehensive about modern Russian cinema in general and don't watch much of it, though I guess I should. The last things I saw were "The Star" and "The Barber of Siberia". They were great. Guess I might try "Адмирал" and "Девятая рота" one day, as I have read some good reviews...

Anyway, the list is very interesting but is there a thread called "Your (10/20/30) favourite Russian films" or something? It would be interesting (for me, at least) to see what films are actually the most popular.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by BappaBa
    Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    although strictly speaking it's Ukrainian, since it was written and directed by the great Ukrainian actor Leonid Bykov.
    Оранжевая чумка?
    No, I was just wondering about why it's not on the list. Maybe the Ukrinians have appropriated it?

P.S. Since it's in Russian there can be no objections to it being included here.

Почтенный гражданин

Whoa, just noticed that also missing are "Весна на Заречной улице" and "Девчата". They are old films to be sure, (and might be called chick flicks ) but I've always thought them to be very popular. They've got charming Rybnikov in the leading roles. Gosh, it's a pity people tend to forget them. I'd definitely rate them over "Чапаев"...

Hanna

Chick flicks with a charming male lead!?
    I don't think I've seen these films bit they sound excellent!
    Olya, Zaya, Lampada - what do you think?
    I think these should be on the list.
    Thanks Starrysky!

So far I agree with Starrysky with everything she's said.
    There are more of my favorites missing there: "Dima Gorin's Career", "The Zigzag of Luck"

Карьера Димы Горина: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин

Aurright then, I've finally read the whole thread (having just skimmed through it first ) Some of the discussions were very interesting and I'm constantly making mental notes about what things to watch - lots of interesting stuff it appears to be.

Two more films are absent which are very famous - "Операция Ы" and "Невероятные приключения итальянцев в России". They are both classic Soviet comedies which I never tire of watching.

I second "Добро пожаловать, или посторонним вход воспрещен". It's a very funny movie, but I don't know if foreign audiences would be entirely able to relate to the characters, because of the film's subject matter, which is Soviet pioneer camps ("пионерлагеря"), which were basically recreation centres for children during the summer holidays. Similar things exist now (there must be a place for children to go bananas and torture the supervising adults, besides school ), in the USA as well, except they're called something different (summer camps?) and they don't have the ideology - or maybe they've got boy scout ideology? Anyway, the film was directed by Elem Klimov and it's mostly about laughter and childhood memories. I personally have never been to a pioneer camp in my life (and not likely to go there now) but I like this film nonetheless.

Elem Klimov also directed "Иди и смотри", which has been mentioned here. I haven't seen it myself but read some rave reviews on amazon.com and talked about it with people who saw it. It's about the horrors that the Nazis perpetrated on the occupied Soviet territory. Klimov is actually from Belarus and he fought his way through the entire war and saw it all with his own eyes. So even if the film is rather depressing and scary I do think people should know how it was. I think the film was called "graphic" on amazon. I've had some horrible but enlightening experiences reading about WWII, notably the book called "War's Unwomanly Face" by Svetlana Alexievich and "What the Soviet People Fought For" by Alexandre Dukov. They are AWEFUL, particularly the latter, but people should read and remember it, so it doesn't happen again. We do have this saying about WWII - "No one is forgotten, nothing is forgotten". So, to sum up, war was portrayed in different ways in Russian cinema and while I love such films as "Ballad of a Soldier", "Only Old Men Are Going to Battle", "The Dawns Here Are Quiet", "The Star", even "Hussar's Ballad", which is more of a musical comedy, the 1812 war with Napoleon being just a backdrop, I think "Come and See" is on an entirely different level altogether. Although it's not a hit, as far as I can judge, it doesn't get shown so much on tv (probably because it's so horrible) and is not so well known.

Фууф, where was I? Yes, thirdly, I'd like to sympathise with you, Johanna, about not all Russian films having subtitles. I think it's a shame. They don't care at all about people with hearing disabilities. Not to mention foreigners learning Russian. Well, Russia is notorious for its lack of care for disabled people, but I hope the situation will improve. The subtitles are hard to come by in French dvds as well, and when there are some, they are completely different from what is spoken on the screen, hence my not-so-perfect listening skills in French. Understanding spoken foreign language is the hardest activity of all, as we were taught in our teacher-training university, and I'm certainly grateful for the dvd era I live in - I've watched so many English/American films with subtitles that I'm fairly confident now.

The subtitles for "Весна на Заречной улице" (and for other films as well) can be found here
    http://subs.com.ru/page.php?id=3897

And here's the lyrics for the song which plays at the beginning:

Поёт Николай Рыбников
    Когда весна придет не знаю...
    (А. Фатьянов, Б. Мокроусов )

Когда весна придет не знаю,
    Пройдут дожди, сойдут снега,
    Но ты мне улица родная
    И в непогоду дорога.

На этой улице подростком
    Гонял по крышам голубей,
    И здесь на этом перекрестке
    С любовью встретился своей.

Теперь я сам не рад, что встретил.
    Моя душа полна тобой,
    Зачем, зачем на белом свете
    Есть безответная любовь?

Когда на улице Заречной,
    В домах погашены огни -
    Горят Мартеновские печи,
    И день и ночь горят они.

На свете много улиц славных,
    Но не сменяю адрес я,
    В моей душе ты стала главной
    Родная улица моя.

(Love it!)

And I'd also like to second "Карьера Димы Горина". I haven't seen this film, except snippets, hope I will, it gets aired quite often on tv. As I said, I haven't seen many of the films on the list, so I can't really judge about those. I can only say that, for example, "Полосатый рейс" is shown, like, dozens of times throughout the year and everyone in my family knows and loves it and never tires of watching it, so I'd call it a hit, whereas until I read this thread I'd never heard of "Тридцать три". I'll be on the lookout for it now. Or "Чародеи" - once again, haven't seen it yet but I know that it's aired every New Year so it must be quite popular. I wouldn't perhaps vote for "Карнавальная ночь" to be on the list, because it's more of a background, atmosphere-creating film for every New Year.

Another film that I like very much is "Морозко"/Morozko It's a wonderful film for anyone wishing to get a taste of the Russian culture. But since it's actually a children's film perhaps it would be better suited to a children's films/cartoons list. It's immensely popular not only in Russia but in former USSR countries as well. It's got every element of a Russian fairy-tale. I did hear that it wasn't very well received in the States - oh well, I guess it's like Indian cinema - very culturally-specific so either you like it for how different it is or you don't. Though the themes are quite universal - it's very Cinderella-like - wicked stepmother and stepsister, a kind fairy god-mother who saves the day - well, in this instance, Father Christmas.

God, I do hope I'm not going to bore everybody's pants off with this post.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Olya, Zaya, Lampada - what do you think?
    The films Starrysky mentioned really are famous.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

You can't go wrong with this movie: Белый Бим - Черное ухо

Бим=a dog's name

http://www.kinopoisk.ru/level/1/film/46068/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077222/
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

Почтенный гражданин

You can't go wrong with this movie: Белый Бим - Черное ухо
    А я еще не смотрела этот фильм. Позор на мою седую голову. Но слышала много. Смотреть теперь боюсь - что угодно только не мучение животных. В "Войне и мир" не могла смотреть как бедного волчка на охоте мучили, глаза закрывала.

eta: Вот еще на него ссылка на ozon.ru http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/2357586/. Отзывы хорошие, подумываю посмотреть...

Yesterday went to imdb.com to read up on Morozko and spent about two hours perusing the comments. Ужас. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry - such a debate! It's pretty funny, actually.

Other famous and favourite titles -
    "Человек-амфибия" which is a romnatic science fiction film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055844/
    "Три плюс два" - a rather popular rom com with Mironov http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131207/
    "Гардемарины" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125111/

Hanna

Thanks all! I will update this list soon.... Bear with me... !

Старший оракул

Just another addition to the list, I hope everyone will agree, «Служили два товарища». Vysotskij Высoцкий played a leading part there, one of his best I think, as to the film itself - it’s superb, awesome, wonderful, terrific and what not, one of my favorites. How come it’s not on the list yet? There are three more very famous in Russian cinema actors engaged in the movie: Ролан Быков, Олег Янковский и Анатолий Папанов. If you are really interested in Russian cinema you must know those names, there’s no Russian, dead or alive, who doesn’t.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    Just another addition to the list, I hope everyone will agree, «Служили два товарища».
    I agree. I love this movie! But I thought it was in the list already.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast