Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about Snow and Ice and school snow days!

Почётный участник

Re: Thoughts about Snow and Ice and school snow days!

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom

Additionally, students may transfer to other schools within the County.
    There are other Magnet Schools within the County, some for math, science, languages, computers and arts.
    Yes, i see now. Something like this we have here in Russia (maybe not for "County"... only for town... i'm not sure).
    My question was silly (i just count... 497 square miles its about 40 by 30 kilometres)

Почётный участник

I try to tell about our school sistem.
    So, our old soviet school tradition (IMHO): Than child at the school territory, school answer for the child. But then the lessons are over and child left school territory, school don't answered for the child.
    Maybe some changes has occur, but as far as I know, we havn't school bus sistem at all.

One side, than schools are closed for reason like care for children life and health, its right.
    But other side, thousand children can't learn for days becouse some "drivers" don't know how (and maybe don't want to know) drive own cars?

Почётный участник

Double Dutch
    It's great!!

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Shurick
    Yes, i see now. Something like this we have here in Russia (maybe not for "County"... only for town... i'm not sure).
    My question was silly
    Please, to me... no question is silly!!! Especially as I cannot speak any other languages!

I hope when I explain things or suggest that you may not understand my style of writing that you do not take offense. I have lived in many places in the United States and have been told that I have a unique writing style. I have expressions that many people may not be used to because it is a mixture of things that I have picked up from all over the U.S.

I am sometimes not very good with expressing my thoughts as in my head I know exactly the picture I want to paint for you, yet my words don't always match. Additionally, I do not know what you (or others) may or may not already know, so I never know how much to explain and I do not want you or anyone else to believe that I think you are stupid, because I don't. So please, never take it that way from me.

With that said..... city vs. town vs. county

For me... it goes like this... cities and towns are pretty much the same thing with just difference styles of government. Then the cities and towns roll up into suburbs. Suburbs then roll up into their local counties and the counties roll up into their states.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Shurick,
    This article is wonderful! Thanks for posting it!!!

Typically, it snows in Moscow from late October. It carries on snowing until March or April. It's even been known to snow in May.
    That is just way too much cold and snow people! Now I understand why Russians never smile
    Seriously folks, do you get to enjoy spring or fall at all?

He added: "If you don't talk for a while it is quite hard to pronounce things. Your mouth basically freezes."
    I love this quote!

The authorities have recently brought in state-of-the art snow-melting trucks. The trucks efficiently reduce mountains of snow into water and then pour the grimy liquid into the Moscow river. It may not be ecological and would probably appal Europeans, but it works.
    If I remember correctly from my time living in New York, they do somewhat the same thing with the snow there, except they don't melt it first. They scoop up the snow and put it into large trucks and then dump it into the Hudson River. This is because they have no other place to put the snow.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

So, our old soviet school tradition (IMHO): Than child at the school territory, school answer for the child. But then the lessons are over and child left school territory, school don't answered for the child.
    Maybe some changes has occur, but as far as I know, we haven't school bus system at all.

One side, than schools are closed for reason like care for children life and health, it's right.
    But other side, thousands of children can't learn for days because some "drivers" don't know how (and maybe don't want to know) drive own cars?
    Shurick,

This time I am the one who is not certain if I fully understand your sentances The second paragraph I think I got, your first one left me a little unclear.

I can tell you that our school system has "built in snow days" into the school year calendar. Students must attend 180 days of school per school year. In our area, the school system builds in 4 snow days into the school calendar. If we do not need all of these snow days, the students do not get let out early from the school year; however, if we use more than the 4 days, say we use 6 days, then the school year IS extended.

Example:
    The last day of school this year is to be June 16, if we use 6 snow days than two days will be added onto the school year (June 17 and 18, 2009) to make up for those missed days so that the 180 day requirement will be met. This of course upsets all of the kids and the parents who have made vacation plans and are dreaming of summer!!!!

Почтенный гражданин

Maybe some changes has occur, but as far as I know, we haven't school bus system at all.
    This time I am the one who is not certain if I fully understand your sentances The second paragraph I think I got, your first one left me a little unclear.
    [/quote]

Change 'answer' to 'respond' (as in responsible)
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

Почётный участник

I am sometimes not very good with expressing my thoughts as in my head I know exactly the picture I want to paint for you, yet my words don't always match. Additionally, I do not know what you (or others) may or may not already know, so I never know how much to explain and I do not want you or anyone else to believe that I think you are stupid, because I don't. So please, never take it that way from me.
    Rockzmom, all is ok. I think you are very good with expressing your thoughts. Don't worry, please. My English realy not so good, Im just studing it. And sometimes happens some little misunderstanding.

Почётный участник

That is just way too much cold and snow people! Now I understand why Russians never smile
    Sometimes we smile, realy
    and... I couldn't translate your last question about enjoy... i'm not sure...

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by vox05
    Change 'answer' to 'respond' (as in responsible)
    maybe you right, but my dictionary says me, what "to answer for " - "нести ответственность за"
    http://www.abbyyonline.ru/translate.asp ... d;52;75;29

Старший оракул

She meant that due to Russian winter taking place for so long, maybe we don't have any time to joy others interim times of year . At least, I've got it this way.
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...us/mage7yu.jpg
    God granted me the serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabus
    She meant that due to Russian winter taking place for so long, maybe we don't have any time to joy others interim times of year . At least, I've got it this way.
    Yes, Scrabus... that was exactly what I meant! The article said you have snow in Russia from October to March or April... that is such a long period of time. Do you have any time to enjoy other seasons???? It would seem that just as you are starting to enjoy spring or summer or fall, BANG , here comes the snow yet again.

Also, today... Thursday, February 12...while it has warmed up to 57°F in Washington, DC Area, we now have two weather warnings....

A RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EST THIS EVENING

A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures will create explosive fire growth potential.

The second is...

HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 50 TO 60 MPH.

As of 8:00 a.m. EST, about 21,000 homes and businesses had lost power due to the high winds.

Hold on to your toupée!

Старший оракул

Yes, Scrabus... that was exactly what I meant! The article said you have snow in Russia from October to March or April... that is such a long period of time. Do you have any time to enjoy other seasons???? It would seem that just as you are starting to enjoy spring or summer or fall, BANG , here comes the snow yet again.
    Yes, we really can enjoy all the seasons). Furthermore I think, that Russian continental climate is very nice to do it, because every season comes out very colorful and delightful. All the seasons here are very strict and well-noticed. So, all those narrations about Russian cold and duration of the winter are too exaggerated and we can have good time during all the year and enjoy all existent seasons. I hope I answered your question
    http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...us/mage7yu.jpg
    God granted me the serenity to accept the things
    I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabus
    So, all those narrations about Russian cold and duration of the winter are too exaggerated and we can have good time during all the year and enjoy all existent seasons.
    ...especially if you don't live in Noril'sk or Nahodka, if you live in Sochi or Astrakhan'
    Maybe about cold its a little exaggerated, but snow on may its reality in Moscow region.

Почётный участник

HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 50 TO 60 MPH.

As of 8:00 a.m. EST, about 21,000 homes and businesses had lost power due to the high winds.

ps. 60mph = 100 km/h ничего себе порывы

Завсегдатай

snow in may, it's reality in Moscow region.
    Maybe one time per 10 years.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    snow in May, it's a reality in Moscow region.
    Maybe one time per 10 years.
    Yes, and that would happen to be the one time I would come to visit!

Завсегдатай

Yes, and that would happen to be the one time I would come to visit!
    I hope not.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast