Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ten Things Americans Don't Know About America

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Guess what Paul, the level of intellect, or IQ, means your ability to operate with the static knowledge you have, to process it effectively...
    That's amazing. Eric, don't you know that I'm not a native English speaker? Did it surprise you? In Russian we have different words for that. "Intellectual" includes both terms: static knowledge and abilities.
    As you couldn't guess, it explains everything. Also your ability to operate with that.

As for that guy, him not knowing what that thing is does not demean his intellectual abilities in any way, and besides, given his profession, one would doubt he needs that particular knowledge in the first place.
    That's a typical point of the ignorant American person, who wants to justify his ignorance. If you can't find Europe on the map or don't know what a water pipe is, it just means that you're an ignorant person, that's all. It has nothing to do with "particular knowledge", because it is NOT particular. It's just knowledge which everyone must know.

Paul G.
    So?...
    "So", it just means that English language was an official language of the empire. The US has nothing to do with that. The US only supports this trend.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    That's amazing. Eric, don't you know that I'm not a native English speaker? Did it surprise you? In Russian we have different words for that. "Intellectual" includes both terms: static knowledge and abilities.
    As you couldn't guess, it explains everything. Also your ability to operate with that.
    Numbers of Russians would disagree with you, Paul. They call static knowledge "фактические знания", and the level of intellect "интеллект" or "уровень интеллекта", and both terms mean pretty much the same that the English ones do. Am I wrong?

Властелин
    "So", it just means that English language was an official language of the empire. The US has nothing to do with that. The US only supports this trend.
    There are plenty of countries that are not colonies of any empire, and in fact have never had anything to do with the British empire, and where almost everyone speaks fluent English now; and it wasn't this way in the time of the British empire. What do you think of that? Who/what made them speak the language? =))

By the way, Deborah, that American guy we met in Cyprus didn't know what a water pipe (hookah) is.
    Do you mean that he heard the terms "hookah" or "nargile" or "water pipe" and he didn't know what kind of object was described by the terms?

Or do you mean that he saw a hookah and thought it was a marijuana bong, rather than a pipe that's generally used for tobacco?

Or do you mean that he saw a hookah and thought it was a vase for flowers (i.e., he had no idea that it was used for smoking something or other)?

These are three very different levels of ignorance!

But they only made things worse coz you had to have both money and those coupons to buy anything; you couldn't buy stuff just for bills; that was truly insane!
    Eric, huh? I don't follow your reasoning at all.
    Personally I think the rationing coupons were a huge help to people who otherwise had no money and no way to eat.
    Maybe the US government should give талёны to all of our unemployed people? No, that would never happen in 'Merca.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Do you mean that he heard the terms "hookah" or "nargile" or "water pipe" and he didn't know what kind of object was described by the terms?

Or do you mean that he saw a hookah and thought it was a marijuana bong, rather than a pipe that's generally used for tobacco?

Or do you mean that he saw a hookah and thought it was a vase for flowers (i.e., he had no idea that it was used for smoking something or other)?

These are three very different levels of ignorance!
    I know what a hookah is, but only because I eat middle eastern food. I also know what a bong is, and that it is not the same thing as a hookah.
    But I wouldn't assume someone is completely ignorant just because they don't know what a hookah is.

The kind of ignorance that really bothers me, is the kind like I mentioned previously, the guy who thinks people in Moscow, Russia are STILL standing in line to buy bread. That is a clear sign of someone who has been propagandized their entire life, and not only doesn't QUESTION the propaganda, but insists even when confronted with REALITY, that the propaganda is STILL TRUE.
    Вот потому, что вы говорите то, что не думаете, и думаете то, что не думаете, вот в клетках и сидите. И вообще, весь этот горький катаклизм, который я здесь наблюдаю, и Владимир Николаевич тоже…

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    Eric, huh? I don't follow your reasoning at all.
    Personally I think the rationing coupons were a huge help to people who otherwise had no money and no way to eat.
    Maybe the US government should give талёны to all of our unemployed people? No, that would never happen in 'Merca.
    I was told by ppl from that area that those "талоны" were issued to make sure ppl wouldn't exceed their rations; when buying anything, one had to give the seller money AND a "талон"; the reason for that was that the amount of food inside the country was very limited, and the amount of cash was much huger, and they just couldn't let ppl buy what they wanted for their cash... So, do you still think it was a good thing? Or maybe you think the person who told me that lied?

Paul G.
    Am I wrong?
    Of course, you are wrong. All depend on context. "Intellectual" means not only abilities, but rich knowledge too. In Russian you can't call "intellectual" a person, who doesn't know, for example, the history of the UK (I mean elementary facts about it) and so on. Only if you want to make fun of him. Although this person can be professional. Like a "professional plumber", for instance. Also in Russian "intellectual" often implies an "erudite person".

Paul G.
    There are plenty of countries that are not colonies of any empire, and in fact have never had anything to do with the British empire, and where almost everyone speaks fluent English now; and it wasn't this way in the time of the British empire. What do you think of that? Who/what made them speak the language? =))
    You should call these countries. I don't know any of them. Yes, some people in the world know English very well. But if you have ever had a conversation with a citizen of those states, you could notice that they have a very poor English, sometimes even worse than I have now.

About numbers.

Eric wrote: "But it wasn't even close to the status it has now while America was an English colony; now, there are over 300 million native English speakers worldwide, and 1.8 billion people who can speak it; the number of people who can speak it is 5.5 times higher than the number of native speakers; no else language can compete with these numbers; now, do you think it was British guys who we should thank for that? =))"

The real facts: Commonwealth of Nations, a voluntary association of 54 countries founded by the UK, unites 1.8 billion people who can speak English. Look, the same number here (1.8 ) and the same is there (1.8 ).
    Yes, Commonwealth corresponds to the empire in general. But who can tell that the UK have nothing to do with the expansion of English language (even today)? Especially after we found out the facts you must know, Eric, since you are trying to live among the English-speaking people.

I was told by ppl from that area that those "талоны" were issued to make sure ppl wouldn't exceed their rations; when buying anything, one had to give the seller money AND a "талон"; the reason for that was that the amount of food inside the country was very limited, and the amount of cash was much huger, and they just couldn't let ppl buy what they wanted for their cash... So, do you still think it was a good thing? Or maybe you think the person who told me that lied?
    I have no idea what your friend told you, or what you understood of what your friend told you.
    All I do know is my own experience. I LIVED there and received the coupons, and I don't remember having to also spend money. I thought it was cool that even those of us who were employed received them, as a sort of protection so we would not run out of food! So, yeah, I think it was a very good thing.
    Tararwen likes this.

... since you are trying to live among the English-speaking people.
    It's not right to say it. Sounds personal.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborski View Post
    I have no idea what your friend told you, or what you understood of what your friend told you.
    All I do know is my own experience. I LIVED there and received the coupons, and I don't remember having to also spend money. I thought it was cool that even those of us who were employed received them, as a sort of protection so we would not run out of food! So, yeah, I think it was a very good thing.
    As you put it, I think it was a good thing too... It's just I heard a different story; but the commie empire was big, so who knows, maybe both stories are true

As you put it, I think it was a good thing too... It's just I heard a different story; but the commie empire was big, so who knows, maybe both stories are true
    The 'Mercan empire is getting pretty damn big too.

Eric C.

Indeed, талоны сould come in various flavours.
    I remember only "талоны на водку" (it was 1991 or 1992, I think).
    People had to provide both талон and cash to buy vodka, and queues were long. Even citizens who did not drink alcohol stood in those queues. Just for the case
    They were saying that vodka is a new "universal currency". I always stared with amazement at them while passing by (queues were outside the shop).

More attractive alternative was to sell Талоны to comrades who needed more than a couple of bottles per month.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Quote Originally Posted by maxmixiv View Post
    Eric C.

Indeed, талоны сould come in various flavours.
    I remember only "талоны на водку" (it was 1991 or 1992, I think).
    People had to provide both талон and cash to buy vodka, and queues were long. Even citizens who did not drink alcohol stood in those queues. Just for the case
    They were saying that vodka is a new "universal currency". I always stared with amazement at them while passing by (queues were outside the shop).

More attractive alternative was to sell Талоны to comrades who needed more than a couple of bottles per month.
    LOL Maybe I should have sold mine? I bought most of my vodka at the little kiosks near the metro exits (black market I guess) and didn't even use my талони >.<

Новичок
    Reading these posts I see there is no shortage for arguments concerning foreign affairs. Personally, I don't think the article was all that great. A lot of good observations were brought up, but in the end, that is all they are. Having one person speak on behalf of an entire country regarding cultural upbringing, traditions, and social perspective is ridiculous. I guess that is why the article posted was just a random person's blog entry instead of in a prestigious journal. Many of the "facts" presented were skewed which causes more bias than needed. At the same time, I would say many of the author's observations hold some merit of truth. These same observations could be applied to other countries besides the United States. It is hard to discern whether the author is actually trying to address certain flaws about the U.S. or pointing out those flaws with the attempt to "fit in" or "gain approval" from other cultures. Of course, this is just my opinion from the "sheltered" life that I supposedly live in.

Also, I think the word ignorance is sometimes mistaken for stupidity. Stupidity being the lack of intelligence/reason while ignorance refers to simply being unaware of something which I think was the case with the Hookah incident stated above. However, As the saying goes: "ignorance is bliss" -->(Not knowing is better than knowing and worrying).

Matthew.T
    Золотые слова! Меньше знаешь - крепче спишь!
    Deborski likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Banned
    "1. FEW PEOPLE ARE IMPRESSED BY US"

By the way, Deborah, that American guy we met in Cyprus didn't know what a water pipe (hookah) is. He's about 50 years old American man (game designer, so his profession implies some intellectual level), but this adult guy didn't know an elementary thing (even if you don't know what it exactly is, you could see it on the pictures etc).

So, me and my friends were very "impressed by US", honestly. If you want to get a cultural shock, meet an American.
    Yeah, I remember reaction of many Russian people when they see a garbage disposal for the first time. I'm sure some Americans would tell "those dumb Russians don't even know what a garbage disposal is"
    Bottom line is: I wouldn't be so fond of your superiority Paul, if I were you

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
    Bottom line is: I wouldn't be so fond of your superiority Paul, if I were you
    Fortunately, you are not me and I have nothing to do with you. You deliberately mix the things up, such as a common cultural stuff and a peculiar technical thing.
    Anyway, I know what a garbage disposal is, I have seen it in the movies. So you've lost again, man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast