Thread: Teaching English in Russia / Ukraine

Почтенный гражданин

Teaching English in Russia / Ukraine

I would like to know: Has anyone ever taught English in Russia, or Ukraine? What were / are your qualifications? Has anyone learned English from a "foreign" teacher? Did your teacher speak the Russian language well? Were the classes in a public or private school? Has anyone ever attended an English Camp? What were your experiences like? And... any recommendations for a person who is contemplating Teaching English in Ukraine or Russia? Any recommendations for a placement, or school?
    Не балуй!

Старший оракул
    i teach and have taught eng. in moscow. no teaching qualification, charge $40 and up for 60 mins. dont do it with a program or in a russian school as they pay peanuts. go thru private agencies etc. they're always looking for native speakers
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Подающий надежды оратор
    I've taught in eastern Europe (not Russia or Ukraine) but have to agree that private instruction is much more lucrative. I wasn't fluent in the country's native language but total immersion" classes are extremely popular and (from my own experience with them) more fun for students.

As far as finding jobs, I would suggest contacting some of the private institutions or advertising for yourself and becoming a private tutor. The latter actually worked out for me quite well.

Some schools might prefer a candidate with a TEFL/TESOL teaching certificate and some experience too (I think you can even get these online?). Good luck.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    I only lasted one day in the CELTA course and then I quit. That was last week. After one and a half hours of sitting in class I decided it was a waste of money and left.

But a TEFL is asked for at a lot of schools, however I hear that if you are there in Russia in person you can get hired, even though you may end up teaching in Siberia.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce