Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: A silly question.

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9

    A silly question.

    Having been encouraged to ask silly questions in my introductory thread, Id like to start with this one.
    It might be silly, but it is also a serious question.

    Typing on your keyboard:
    How do you Russians out there type the English alphabet? My keyboard does not have the Russian alphabet, obviously, so what do I need to do to type the Russian alphabet?
    Thanks.

    I'm sorry if this is really dumb. But I'm only a few days into trying to teach myself Russian so cut me a little slack please huh?
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    You can swtich between keyboard of any language of your choice!!!

    Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Language Tab -> Details...

    There you can add keyboard languages! C'est facil as they say in your 3-year french course
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    C'est facil as they say in your 3-year french course
    They did?

    Thank you, I will attempt to take your advice. Attempt because my knowledge of technology is only slightly better than my Russian!
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Дшлу ершы?

    Is Ё a question mark in Russian or is my keyboard playing up?
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Don't expect the punctuation marks on the Russian keyboard to be where the English are... You are in for a long, windy ride!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  6. #6
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Now you need too buy some Russian keyboard stickers. Search the Master Russian main site and you will find a link for them.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  7. #7
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Don't expect the punctuation marks on the Russian keyboard to be where the English are... You are in for a long, windy ride!
    I have an awful sinking feeling you were going to say that!
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Now you need too buy some Russian keyboard stickers. Search the Master Russian main site and you will find a link for them.
    Aha! That was my next silly question as Id already wondered about writing my own stickers.
    Thanks!
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Probably you have already found it, but - standard RUSSIAN KEYBOARD LAYOUT:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... std_ru.png

    Some info on encodings, cyrillics in Windows, etc.:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... dex_en.htm

  10. #10
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,636
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezri
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Now you need too buy some Russian keyboard stickers. Search the Master Russian main site and you will find a link for them.
    Aha! That was my next silly question as Id already wondered about writing my own stickers.
    Thanks!
    I think it would be easier to learn if you write you own stickers on another keyboard (if you have an extra one). Just to look at it while typing.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Probably you have already found it, but - standard RUSSIAN KEYBOARD LAYOUT:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... std_ru.png

    Some info on encodings, cyrillics in Windows, etc.:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... dex_en.htm
    Oh thank you! I had just come back in to have a look for it now, you have saved me some time which is much appreciated!
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    I think it would be easier to learn if you write you own stickers on another keyboard (if you have an extra one). Just to look at it while typing.
    Thank you, I might try this. It's a good excuse for clearing my desk of all the mess around me!!
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    You're welcome.
    I'm afraid, the stuff on this site is overcomplicated, but maybe you'll need it one day. For now since you've already know how to type in Russian on your keyboard, the most useful thing there is the Russian layout.

  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    You're welcome.
    I'm afraid, the stuff on this site is overcomplicated, but maybe you'll need it one day. For now since you've already know how to type in Russian on your keyboard, the most useful thing there is the Russian layout.
    Oh it's not just me who thinks the great advice here is a bit complicated for a beginner like me then!?
    But like you said, I will be needing it one day... hopefully!

    I've just spent ages handwriting out the Russian keyboard layout, then I discovered a phonetic one! Ill be sticking to the one I'm starting to get used to I think.
    More madness than method but it works for me.

  15. #15
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Торонто (столица мира), Канадская Советская Социалистическая Республика (КССР)
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    11
    You may also want to try www.translit.ru for longer post. I myself use the normal Russian layout, but translit can come in handy when there is no Russian keyboard available.

    All the best.
    "С чий очи сънувам, чий е този лик обречен?
    Смъртен глас ми се причува и отеква с вик далечен
    Как да зърна да погледна, чуждий образ да прегърна,
    на лицето ми студено грях в надежда да превърна.."

  16. #16
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Wales UK
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeed
    You may also want to try www.translit.ru for longer post. I myself use the normal Russian layout, but translit can come in handy when there is no Russian keyboard available.

    All the best.
    Thanks Yazeed! That has been saved in my ever growing Russian folder as I'm sure Ill find that very handy.
    More madness than method but it works for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Usage of Feminine words and suffixes (easy, silly question)
    By Hanna in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
  2. Silly Question
    By Coup in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM
  3. Question on the term Great Britain (a silly one)
    By gRomoZeka in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM
  4. A silly question
    By BladeStuckin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: April 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM
  5. Silly Question
    By accolti in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary