Thread: Russian Lineage

Новичок

Russian Lineage

Hi,
    I am researching my Russian side of the family, and have come across a ship manifest. Unfortunately I am unable to read some of it. This is my great grandfather, his wife, and child coming from Kobe, Japan to Hawaii in 1910. I cut out the parts of the manifest that I can't read, so that I didn't have to post a huge file.

You can see the whole image by going here:
    http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.a ... .1/mb.ashx

They are lines 2 through 4.

The first line is his mother's name:

The second line is last residence: Manchuria, unknown city

The third is his place of birth: Siberia, unknown city (I believe the end of it is a check mark)

Can someone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Re: Russian Lineage

Looks like mother's name that's written here is Paraskovia Pilchakov, I can guess the original name was something about Прасковья Пильщикова or Пильчикова.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

I can guess that the mother's last name is Botchkar or Botchkariov (Бочкарь / Бочкарев) which means literally "barrel maker".
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Новичок

Wow! Thank you so much! The fact that the last name translates that way makes a lot of sense! It was changed so much after they had arrived in the US.

Now if I could figure out the rest... Thanks!

Старший оракул

What I could make out of those scripts is these: Paraskovia Bolchakov and Siberia Zavaikail. It’s safe to suggest that the office employee who made those recordings didn’t know any Russian, so both the names of the Russians and the names of the places they were born or came from were totally alien to him. He put down on paper what he thought he heard from your ancestors, so when to answer the question of where do you come from they said из Сибири мы, из Забайкалья, which means we’re from Siberia, from Zabaikalie (the region somewhere around the lake of Baikal) he might have very well written down Siberia, Zavaikail, where Zabaikalie region turned into the town of Zavaikail. As for the mother’s name, it seems quite obvious to me that she was Прасковья Большакова.

One way to decrypt a handwriting is to make an "alphabet" of the writer: to analyze the whole text and to write down one by one all letters in the way he writes them. And then compare. It is a hard work...

Quote Originally Posted by alexB
    What I could make out of those scripts is these: Paraskovia Bolchakov
    It you take the link, you can see that third letter in last name is clearly "t".
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?