View Poll Results: Describe your progress with Russian

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • fantastic

    5 16.67%
  • pretty good

    4 13.33%
  • ok

    12 40.00%
  • uh...well...

    8 26.67%
  • I've pretty much given up

    0 0%
  • I never tried in the first place

    1 3.33%
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: To Russian learners: how are things comming along?

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10

    To Russian learners: how are things comming along?

    I know a lot of you are natives and/or fluent, but to the rest of you that are learning Russian here's the question...

    How do you think you are progressing, be honest!

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Матун-Чарлстон, Иллинойс.
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    10
    Doodoodoo...
    I so don't study enough.
    I'm a go study.
    Now.

    ...
    I'm gonna eat and then I'll study.
    I come to represent and carve my name within your chest.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappyJack
    Doodoodoo...


    ...
    I'm gonna eat and then I'll study.


  4. #4
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    10
    I concur with TriggerHappyJack. Which is why I'm signing up for a Russian class at a nearby college. Yippee! I can't wait to do homework for no reason! The only bad thing is I have to take 101 as a prequisite to 102, so I'll be learning the alphabet for the first few weeks, probably.... Maybe I'll test out, who knows... Now I'm just talking to myself, so I'm going back to work now. Or, rather, I'm going to look like I'm working now.
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    10
    LOL, Fantom. Admit it, you're looking forward to sacrificing your nights and weekends to do homework, right?

    I haven't been in a formal class for nearly a year - but I'm still picking up new words, expressions, grammatical tidbits, etc, although at a much slower rate. In some ways, I prefer puttering around on the internet, tuning in the radio, picking up a book when I want to - relaxing - rather than studying in school. Even if I don't learn as fast. Ok - I know. I'm a nerd. I am told this often.
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

  6. #6
    Почётный участник Moongazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Аризона
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by fantom605
    I concur with TriggerHappyJack. Which is why I'm signing up for a Russian class at a nearby college. Yippee! I can't wait to do homework for no reason! The only bad thing is I have to take 101 as a prequisite to 102, so I'll be learning the alphabet for the first few weeks, probably.... Maybe I'll test out, who knows... Now I'm just talking to myself, so I'm going back to work now. Or, rather, I'm going to look like I'm working now.
    -Fantom
    I concur with both of you. Studying it completely on my own for less than a year now hasn't been too productive, and I take full responsibility. I need someone - a native speaker or anyone fluent, to interact with in person. That's why I've opted to attend a class locally, but it doesn't start until Fall. Or I'll really have to scour this place for a tutor because there aren't many of them here.
    If only you could see . . . what I have seen, with your eyes.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    11
    I voted "ok".
    I have nearly completed my first year of Russian language study.
    I figure I know nearly 2000 words by now.
    It is still somewhat lame.

    So who voted "fantastik"?
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  8. #8
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: To Russian learners: how are things comming along?

    Quote Originally Posted by Biancca
    I know a lot of you are natives and/or fluent, but to the rest of you that are learning Russian here's the question...

    How do you think you are progressing, be honest!
    Hi dear...

    Good you ask...

    I did the pimsleur course in 2003/2004.

    Don't do it!

    Anyways, I'm doing this princeton russian thing and it's pretty long and covers a lot! I'm doing Chapter 1 for the 2nd and last time.

    I think I'm weak at memorizing. I don't know what's with that, but i don't like memorizing, maybe it's some old pattern of behavior or something.

    Sure, you write me some basic stuff... I'll probably know what you're talking about... SORTA...

    I also feel like I know this stuff, since I did the pimsleur tapes 3 times or more... but I didn't learn too much about how to write or read...

    These days I'm able to write russian cursive, which has been a lot of help when transcribing the homework. I learned how to do it since somebody posted a good link for that... here in this forum...

    Well I keep at it and I know I'll learn russian in a very "competent" way.

    I mean, this will be it... I learn russian, then I finish the german course, then get to handle my italian, and... then I'll master portuguese (brazilian portuguese of course)... mmm... then I'll have to finish learning french, since I completed level one 3 or 4 years ago...

    LOL please some courtesy laughter...
    Every step is a victory

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: To Russian learners: how are things comming along?

    Quote Originally Posted by terrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Biancca
    I know a lot of you are natives and/or fluent, but to the rest of you that are learning Russian here's the question...

    How do you think you are progressing, be honest!
    Hi dear...

    Good you ask...

    I did the pimsleur course in 2003/2004.

    Don't do it!

    Anyways, I'm doing this princeton russian thing and it's pretty long and covers a lot! I'm doing Chapter 1 for the 2nd and last time.

    I think I'm weak at memorizing. I don't know what's with that, but i don't like memorizing, maybe it's some old pattern of behavior or something.

    Sure, you write me some basic stuff... I'll probably know what you're talking about... SORTA...

    I also feel like I know this stuff, since I did the pimsleur tapes 3 times or more... but I didn't learn too much about how to write or read...

    These days I'm able to write russian cursive, which has been a lot of help when transcribing the homework. I learned how to do it since somebody posted a good link for that... here in this forum...

    Well I keep at it and I know I'll learn russian in a very "competent" way.

    I mean, this will be it... I learn russian, then I finish the german course, then get to handle my italian, and... then I'll master portuguese (brazilian portuguese of course)... mmm... then I'll have to finish learning french, since I completed level one 3 or 4 years ago...

    LOL please some courtesy laughter...
    What about Japanese and Chinese?
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: To Russian learners: how are things comming along?

    Quote Originally Posted by terrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Biancca

    I mean, this will be it... I learn russian, then I finish the german course, then get to handle my italian, and... then I'll master portuguese (brazilian portuguese of course)... mmm... then I'll have to finish learning french, since I completed level one 3 or 4 years ago...

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10
    I've started working with an online tutor (using the Skype internet phone), and I'm making good progress, especially for listening comprehension.

    In September I'm heading to Petersburg to study for a few weeks, so that should really help.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    15
    I learned most of my russian when i was in kazakhstan, but im learning it again for fun.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  13. #13
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    10
    Ok y'all made me sound like a was coming a little far-fetched...

    probably!

    I think I'll just be clear on learning just russian which is what I'm doing. Then we'll see.
    Every step is a victory

  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин Mordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe, Мир
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    10
    one year for me. I'm very happy with what I learned with the help of a written course.

    It is getting harder now because I don't seem to progress a lot. I think I will have to take class room courses for making more progress

  15. #15
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    10
    I'm learnin Russian from a russian story was given in one of the comments ! ...its cool .translated into english ..with spelling !! ..i can say Privet now !!

  16. #16
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    10
    Six months,
    one small hour a day, from French using Assimil book which is excellent in my opinion. It has four CDs. I now have access to four Russian TV channels, which helps. St-Petersburg tomorrow for two weeks of practise.
    WOW!
    Bob
    Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by eMAD
    I'm learnin Russian from a russian story was given in one of the comments ! ...its cool .translated into english ..with spelling !! ..i can say Privet now !!
    Can you say "здравствуйте" yet?
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Similar Threads

  1. I am comming to Russia for some chariety work.. like to alre
    By xavierdossv in forum Travel and Tourism
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM
  2. For Russian language learners
    By spiritvt in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM
  3. russian for mid-level learners on the internet
    By possopo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
  4. Pimsleur's "things or things"
    By Haksaw in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM
  5. Tip for russian learners.
    By Zhenya in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 27th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary