Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Russian For Giving Orders

  1. #1
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Здесь... С ложкой
    Posts
    783
    Rep Power
    10

    Russian For Giving Orders

    Hello
    I was reading the site here, and it says that in spot number six, that russian is the best language known to man for giving orders. I'm wondering, what trait of Russian makes this so, or is it just an opinion?
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

    How to Post

    Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Russian For Giving Orders

    Quote Originally Posted by Darobat
    Hello
    I was reading the site here, and it says that in spot number six, that russian is the best language known to man for giving orders. I'm wondering, what trait of Russian makes this so, or is it just an opinion?
    How can that be measured? It's an opinion and, IMHO, a very silly one.

    10 It's the royal way to Polish, Serb, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and the other slavic languages.
    Sure, just as your rectum is the best orifice for your dentist to reach your wisdom teeth through.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  3. #3
    mike
    Guest
    I think German must be the best language for giving orders. Look at any WW2 movie where the commanding officer starts barking out, "Raus! Raus! Mach schnell!" He sounds like a rabid zoo animal, and one gets the impression he'd better listen.

  4. #4
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Германия
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I think German must be the best language for giving orders. Look at any WW2 movie where the commanding officer starts barking out, "Raus! Raus! Mach schnell!" He sounds like a rabid zoo animal, and one gets the impression he'd better listen.
    Just one more silly opinion.

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    The issue exhausted.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  6. #6
    Новичок
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Москва, столица миров
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    10
    Well, maybe this story was meant?

    "Американские ученые, проанализировав статистику боев с японцами во Второй мировой войне, обнаружили, что, несмотря на равенство сил, войска США побеждали чаще. Причину нашли в длине слов английского и японского языков. В английском языке средняя длина слова составляет пять букв, а в японском - тринадцать. То есть пока японцы еще ставили боевую задачу, американцы уже начинали стрелять... После этого в американской армии был введен обычай давать короткие названия (клички) как своей боевой технике, так и технике противника.

    Когда эта информация дошла до русских, то они вычислили среднюю длину слова в русском языке, которая оказалась равной семи буквам. Однако проведенные полевые исследования показали: в процессе управления боем командир автоматически переходит на мат и информативность речи возрастает в два-три раза".
    WBR,
    Astaroth.

  7. #7
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    12
    Maybe the impreesion of the language and the way the order is given is highly opinionated, but the nature of the grammar and sentence structure could change how simple orders are given varying on the language. Some things in english you can say with less words than russian, and of course the opposite is true since russian doesnt use a lot of articles or some verbs like to be in the present tense. That said, i dont know any military orders in russian or english really, so im not gonna comment on that.

    So maybe it could be the best in that it is the most efficient and quickest for an order to be given in the fewest ammount of words and be understood correctly.

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Сварга
    Posts
    1,391
    Rep Power
    12
    From Darobat's link
    German is a language that few learn for pleasure, and none because it is easy.
    I'm learning German for the both named reasons

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth
    Well, maybe this story was meant?

    "Американские ученые, проанализировав статистику боев с японцами во Второй мировой войне, обнаружили, что, несмотря на равенство сил, войска США побеждали чаще. Причину нашли в длине слов английского и японского языков. В английском языке средняя длина слова составляет пять букв, а в японском - тринадцать. То есть пока японцы еще ставили боевую задачу, американцы уже начинали стрелять... После этого в американской армии был введен обычай давать короткие названия (клички) как своей боевой технике, так и технике противника.

    Когда эта информация дошла до русских, то они вычислили среднюю длину слова в русском языке, которая оказалась равной семи буквам. Однако проведенные полевые исследования показали: в процессе управления боем командир автоматически переходит на мат и информативность речи возрастает в два-три раза".
    hehe we were typing our posts at the same time. I remembered a story like this but didnt want to quote it here without details as some people on this board are pretty sensitive, and figured they would ream me for telling an anecdote like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Asking/Giving Directions
    By Woland in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary