Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really excited

JB
    Старший оракул
    There is a big ski resort next to my city. It's Putin's favorite
    You can see it at www.volen.ru
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Почётный участник
    Thanks for that link - struggled to get infomation out of it as its in Russian, but from a computing point of view - what a smart website! I will have to convince my girlfriend to go skiing there, then I can practice speaking at the same time.

Sco

EDIT: Actually - where abouts in Russia is that area, could you show it on a map?
    My new website is http://www.computer-tutorials.org/New_site/

If anyone could help with translations or audio recording please email me!

Властелин
    It's about 40km north of Moscow. I'll show you where it is if you find the map of the Moscow Region. I have one but unfortunately I don't store it on my computer.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

JB
    Старший оракул
    You can take the train from Moscow to Yahroma and I think there are buses and marshootkas near the station that will take you to the resort. I want to go skiing there when we get enough snow.

Почтенный гражданин
    now the weather in Moscow is not so cold, still no snow and no rains...but it is now cause last time weather was very unpredictable but i guess soon temperature will be about 0 degrees (today +7..9 above zero).
    Just don't forget to take warm clothing

PS i just live in Moscow so if you have any questions you're welcome
    •••♥♥♥•••
    Lonely attics

Властелин
    Hope we get snow in the nearest future. I can't wait to go skiing/skating. There was some snow a couple of weeks ago but it's all melted because of the warm temperatures. JB, have you ever gone skiing in 'Volen'? If so, did you enjoy it?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Почтенный гражданин
    i hate winter actually....and every year it gets worse i mean i hate all that mess and dirty snow and cold winds ((((( i wish i lived somewhere in Australia or Brazil :P

PS but i still love skating PArk Gorkogo - forever though its ice is not very good
    •••♥♥♥•••
    Lonely attics

JB
    Старший оракул
    Used to live in Moscow but now I live in Dmitrov so I'm only 1 train stop away from Volen! I hope we have a cold snowy winter this year. Last year was awful, warm weather and all the snow turned mushy and dirty. A very sad holiday week with ice and mud, and finally all the ice sculptures melting in one day......

I haven't been to Volen yet but am hoping to ski there this year.

Почтенный гражданин
    yeah yeah i remember that time unfortunately i was too late to see those ice sculptures
    •••♥♥♥•••
    Lonely attics

JB
    Старший оракул
    I watched them being installed on Red Square at night and they were already dripping. Walked by the ones on Old Arabat a day or two after New Year and those were just lumps of dirty melting ice.

Почтенный гражданин
    well anyway i hate winter and i was very glad when last winter all snow was melted away and my footwear was clean and not salty as always
    •••♥♥♥•••
    Lonely attics

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsco
    Thanks for that link - struggled to get infomation out of it as its in Russian, but from a computing point of view - what a smart website! I will have to convince my girlfriend to go skiing there, then I can practice speaking at the same time.

Sco

EDIT: Actually - where abouts in Russia is that area, could you show it on a map?
    It is a very nice flash site. I didn't have much of a problem browsing around, I recognised more than I expected.

It helps to browse around Russian sites (legit information ones...) so you can pick up certain words that you come accross often. Like the days of the week, price systems and times.

Форум (forum), новости (news) and галерея (gallery). Those types of words I usually look out for.

As for the weather last year in Russia, we got news articles on it in the UK saying how warm it was, I remember thinking well of course some are unhappy about it.
    How often does this happen? Is it every several years there's a warm patch during winter? Hmm, it could be to do with global warming already...

Hopefully there will be a better snowfall this year. They said the UK is expecting a cold winter this year, I hope so, we only get one day of snow in the south, though I suppose that only means it takes a day or to for that horrible dirty slush to melt away.
    Please correct any Russian language mistakes I make.

Властелин
    Used to live in Moscow but now I live in Dmitrov so I'm only 1 train stop away from Volen! I hope we have a cold snowy winter this year. Last year was awful, warm weather and all the snow turned mushy and dirty. A very sad holiday week with ice and mud, and finally all the ice sculptures melting in one day......

I haven't been to Volen yet but am hoping to ski there this year.
    How's Dmitrov? I hope that we have a cold winter this year. Not very snowy. I like snow but since I'm into hockey and I go to a public outdoor skating rink to play hockey snow is a big problem for me. If it's been snowing all day long, that means we can't play hockey today or we'll have to somehow remove this snow from the rink, which is usually not so easy.

I don't like it either when there's lots of mud on the street. You can neither skate nor ski. Anybody know the forecast for this year's winter? You can hardly ever rely on forecasts though.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Почётный участник
    40KM north of moscow, thats a pretty good location. Snow is one of the things I love most - It probably all stems from when i was a kid we seemed to get much more snow than now, and we when it was really bad got the day off school. That is probally why I love it so much, + the skiing thing. Bet in Russian schools never get closed cos of snow do they?

Andy
    My new website is http://www.computer-tutorials.org/New_site/

If anyone could help with translations or audio recording please email me!

Властелин
    Yeah, you're right that in Russia schools never close because of snow. They sometimes close due to very cold temperatures but it's a rare occasion. I guess that the main reason why you like snow so much is because you hardly ever see it in the UK. Right?
    Honestly, I don't know the exact distance from Moscow to the Volen Park cos I've never measured it I know that Dmitrov is about 50km away from Moscow and since the Volen park is close to Dmitrov I come to the conclusion that the distance is about 40km.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Почтенный гражданин
    Горнолыжные курорты России (Russia mountain-ski resorts): http://www.svastour.ru/dolmeny/lygi.htm

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by kasper
    now the weather in Moscow is not so cold, still no snow and no rains...but it is now cause last time weather was very unpredictable but i guess soon temperature will be about 0 degrees (today +7..9 above zero).
    Just don't forget to take warm clothing

PS i just live in Moscow so if you have any questions you're welcome
    well i am sure it will be below zero when i am there in december haha
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...2/002528b2.jpgClick on the picture to visit my MySpace!

JB
    Старший оракул
    Dmitrov is great! If you like hockey we have a beautiful new ice palace and our own hockey team. In Moscow I only skated outside because the ice stadiums were almost never open for the public except for weird hours, and were too expensive. But in Dmitrov they have lots of free skate time and it is not just for the rich. (figure skating outside is pretty much impossible and tears up the skate blades!)

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    Dmitrov is great! If you like hockey we have a beautiful new ice palace and our own hockey team. In Moscow I only skated outside because the ice stadiums were almost never open for the public except for weird hours, and were too expensive. But in Dmitrov they have lots of free skate time and it is not just for the rich. (figure skating outside is pretty much impossible and tears up the skate blades!)
    I cant even ice skate, actually i have never tried it....
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...2/002528b2.jpgClick on the picture to visit my MySpace!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireEyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    I wish you to have good experience. It is very important for you, I think.
    yeah i have really missed it and such and i miss the snow too, its so hot in texas all the time i just cant wait to breathe cold air for a change lol
    But you have Winter X-Games at Austin every year! Wish I could go!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsco
    I agree! Snow is probably the best thing in the world - I go skiing regularly in Austria, Italy and Switzerland. On that note, do people ski at all in Russia, or is the terrain too flat?
    You're a lucky guy! Those countries are too expensive for most people here. But we ski in Russia in spite of everything :)

By the way, Yahroma opened the season last weekend. And Ski & Board Salon 2005 took place in Moscow last week. It was pretty crowded there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast