Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Putin speaks English

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15

    Putin speaks English

    In Moscow's Olympics presentation, Putin spoke in English. It was the first time he has done that in public. I didn't hear much though.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  2. #2
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    11
    He spoke English in the Mike Wallace interview as well. If anyone has video of it, I'd love to see it. But Mike Wallace didn't ask him to speak English, he told him. I thought it was extremely disrespectful and Wallace took almost a combative tone with Putin. Very unprofessional, to me, an aspiring journalist.

    Anyhow, Putin can definitely speak English, though probably not fluently.
    "I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick."
    Skype - el_casey

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    541
    Rep Power
    10
    Putin can speak English, he and Bush had very secret conversations where even interpritors were not allowed. Bush speaking Russian sounds more fantastic to me. So they both could nicely interact on the same level of broken English.

    Putin is very fluent in German, although, he was a KGB spy in Germany for quite a while.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    I had a thread about this, El Casey:

    http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=5481

    there is the link and in the link you can see the video...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    de slips morts pour autobus à chats
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    11
    i remember reagan tried to speak english once in front of gorbatchev, it was pathetic. gorbatchev didn't understand a word reagan was saying.
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toto, we're back in Kansas! Oh, Crap!!!
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by possopo
    i remember reagan tried to speak english once in front of gorbatchev, it was pathetic. gorbatchev didn't understand a word reagan was saying.
    (sighs)

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by possopo
    i remember reagan tried to speak english once in front of gorbatchev, it was pathetic. gorbatchev didn't understand a word reagan was saying.
    You mean Reagan tried to speak Russian in front of Gorcatchev??

    I would think Reagan always speaks English...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  8. #8
    FL
    FL is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    526
    Rep Power
    10
    I remember Reagan liked to learn Russian proverbs.
    Especially "Доверяй, но проверяй".

  9. #9
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Concord, Mass
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by El Casey
    But Mike Wallace didn't ask him to speak English, he told him. I thought it was extremely disrespectful and Wallace took almost a combative tone with Putin. Very unprofessional, to me, an aspiring journalist.
    It's true, Wallace was gruff. Though that's kind of the show's shtick. I liked the interview, and I thought Putin handled himself very well. Wallace was an ass, but he always is, and Putin fired back a couple of times as I recall.

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    de slips morts pour autobus à chats
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    11
    kalinka_vinnie wrote:
    You mean Reagan tried to speak Russian in front of Gorcatchev??

    I would think Reagan always speaks English...
    sorry

    Fl wrote:
    I remember Reagan liked to learn Russian proverbs.
    Especially "Доверяй, но проверяй".
    that's it!
    it sounded like "dover hi, no prover eye". gorbatchev made this funny face that was saying "hmmm, what should i do, what the fuck did he just say? is it russian? you think it's a joke? ok, i'll smile then".
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

  11. #11
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Германия
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    11
    I have heard Putin speaking German several times. His German is really excellent.
    On "радио эхо Москвы" I did listen to an interview with Condolezza Rice a few mont ago (during her visit to Moscow). For the main part of the interview she used an interpreter (Only for translations from English to Russian). But at the end of the interview she also answered a question of a young girl in Russian.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Старик
    I have heard Putin speaking German several times. His German is really excellent.
    On "радио эхо Москвы" I did listen to an interview with Condolezza Rice a few mont ago (during her visit to Moscow). For the main part of the interview she used an interpreter (Only for translations from English to Russian). But at the end of the interview she also answered a question of a young girl in Russian.
    Yeh she made mistakes though cos she was rusty. Didn't she study it at univeristy or something?
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    Yeh she made mistakes though cos she was rusty. Didn't she study it at univeristy or something?
    Yeah, she majored in the Soviet Union or something like that... what a waste!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  14. #14
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    10
    hey.. at least they try. Most Americans speak only English.

  15. #15
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rgkatyaisashaukr
    hey.. at least they try. Most Americans speak only English.
    Not in Utah. Everyone's a return missionary so they all speak something else.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Biancca
    Quote Originally Posted by rgkatyaisashaukr
    hey.. at least they try. Most Americans speak only English.
    Not in Utah. Everyone's a return missionary so they all speak something else.
    Biancca... actually you are right! I never thought about it, but all my mormon friends all know another language! Of course not ALL of Utah is mormon, but still... hah! Now that is scary.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie

    Biancca... actually you are right! I never thought about it, but all my mormon friends all know another language! Of course not ALL of Utah is mormon, but still... hah! Now that is scary.
    Utah is something like 70% or 75% mormon, I cant remember the last figure I heard but its up there.

  18. #18
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    10
    Isn't Utah the state that had the highest percentage vote for Bush in the election as well? Something over 70% if I remember correctly. Wonder if there's a connection

  19. #19
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphyr
    Isn't Utah the state that had the highest percentage vote for Bush in the election as well? Something over 70% if I remember correctly. Wonder if there's a connection
    Im afraid so. Mormons vote conservative because they are aginst abortion etc. etc.

    But I didn't vote for Bush. Actually there is no point voting if you live in Utah because conservative stuff always passes no matter what you vote for (thats another thing my gov't teacher told us, and my econ teacher too...they said you dont need to vote hahahahahahahahahahaha. )

  20. #20
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    10
    Hmmm, I would say that's terrible advice to be giving, but when you're facing a majority like that, it does seem kinda hopeless alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Speaks to my idiocy!
    By Trzeci_Wymiar in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
  2. Snail speaks poetically?
    By mishau_ in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: January 10th, 2008, 05:57 AM
  3. Laura Speaks Dutch
    By RavinDave in forum Dutch
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM
  4. Girlfriend speaks Russian:( need help
    By robinkid in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: February 20th, 2006, 04:08 AM
  5. Hi! Looking for an e-pal who speaks Russian :!:
    By in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 30th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary