Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Onomatopoeia

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин Misha Tal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tehran, Iran
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    7

    Onomatopoeia

    If you're wondering what in the world that title means, you're not alone. I myself had to do a little research to find the English word for what I meant.
    So, "onomatopoeia", is basically a word that denotes a sound. Things like: splash, roar, ouch, oink, etc.
    When I'd just started learning English in my early teens, I took special delight at discovering the fact that an English dog says "bow wow!" when he barks (an Iranian dog says "vagh vagh!", and sometimes "hap hap!").
    Apart from animal sounds, human sounds are also interesting. An English-speaking person says "ouch!" when he unexpectedly hurts himself, an Iranian says "akh!" in the same situation, while this same "akh!" ("ах!") is approximately like the sound when a Russian sighs. [Аааах, красавица, душа-девица, полюби же ты меня!]
    Other examples, anyone?! It's not exactly language learning, but it's kinda fun!
    "If in the end, Misha, you are destined to lose this game, there is no need for the reason to be cowardice!"

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин Demonic_Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    I had a discussion about this the other day with a Russian friend, she said that Russian dogs say "гав, гав" instead of "woof, woof". We both agreed that "woof" is no sound that any normal dog would make, but we disagreed as to whether "гав" or "ruff" was more accurate. I convinced her by making "ruff, ruff" noises like a dog

    Russian cats, on the other hand, apparently make the same sound as English ones... "мяяяяуууууу"!

    There's also the semi-onomatopoeic word "hiccough" (or "hiccup" in the American spelling). The Russian word for hiccough is "икать" (verb) or "икание" (noun). Personally, I think "ыкать" would be more appropriate!
    Демоническая Утка
    Носитель английского языка, учу русский язык.
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои сообщения!

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    We had somewhere a topic for onomatopoeia=звукоподражание of animal sounds.
    Here is a list of Russian interjections from Wiktionary:
    http://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/Категория:Русские_междометия


    As for human interjections (like ouch!) I don't feel like this is the same phenomenon.
    Namely:
    ouch! - ай! (sudden hurt)
    wow! - ого!- admiration

    Here is a list of animal sounds in different languages:
    http://www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/P...tt/animal.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Duck
    Russian cats, on the other hand, apparently make the same sound as English ones... "мяяяяуууууу"!
    Not exactly! They use simple sound instead of diphthong "ia" in English!
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Great idea, but the Russian section does not seem entirely correct.
    For example, Dog (gnawing bone) = chua-chua. (?) I guess, it was supposed to be чав-чав - a sound of messy eating, from "чавкать" (to champ). But it's a universal "sound" and does not have anything to do with dogs.
    Camel = ga-a-a (?) Oh, really? It's nice to know, I've never heard about that.

    I was surprised that a cock sounds similar in so many languages, except English, of course.

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин Misha Tal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tehran, Iran
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Camel = ga-a-a (?) It's nice to know, I've never heard about that.
    The only camel that I've had the pleasure of meeting (during a trip to some southern province) was actually as silent as a mouse! I did everything to provoke him (her?) but he wouldn't make a sound. All the time he just kept sitting there and staring at me. I even doubt that they make any sound at all. And "ga-a-a" just seems too sophisticated a sound for a camel to make!
    "If in the end, Misha, you are destined to lose this game, there is no need for the reason to be cowardice!"

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    Here is a list of animal sounds in different languages:
    http://www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/P...tt/animal.html
    I don't know about other languages, but as for Russian this page is very inaccurate. More than 50% is wrong.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    Here is a list of animal sounds in different languages:
    http://www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/P...tt/animal.html
    I don't know about other languages, but as for Russian this page is very inaccurate. More than 50% is wrong.
    Yep, sorry for this link. I didn't check it.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин Demonic_Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    [quote=it-ogo]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Demonic_Duck":2y8s7d5g
    Russian cats, on the other hand, apparently make the same sound as English ones... "мяяяяуууууу"!
    Not exactly! They use simple sound instead of diphthong "ia" in English! [/quote:2y8s7d5g]


    well now you're just being pedantic!
    Демоническая Утка
    Носитель английского языка, учу русский язык.
    Пожалуйста, исправьте мои сообщения!

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Duck
    well now you're just being pedantic!
    Not me but Russian cats.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Tal
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Camel = ga-a-a (?) It's nice to know, I've never heard about that.
    The only camel that I've had the pleasure of meeting (during a trip to some southern province) was actually as silent as a mouse! I did everything to provoke him (her?) but he wouldn't make a sound. All the time he just kept sitting there and staring at me. I even doubt that they make any sound at all. And "ga-a-a" just seems too sophisticated a sound for a camel to make!
    +1. That's why I thought it to be so funny.
    The camels I've met were always silent too. I bet 99% of Russians don't know how camel sounds, or if they make any sounds at all.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай rockzmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    East Coast, United States
    Posts
    2,185
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Tal
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Camel = ga-a-a (?) It's nice to know, I've never heard about that.
    The only camel that I've had the pleasure of meeting (during a trip to some southern province) was actually as silent as a mouse! I did everything to provoke him (her?) but he wouldn't make a sound. All the time he just kept sitting there and staring at me. I even doubt that they make any sound at all. And "ga-a-a" just seems too sophisticated a sound for a camel to make!
    +1. That's why I thought it to be so funny.
    The camels I've met were always silent too. I bet 99% of Russians don't know how camel sounds, or if they make any sounds at all.
    I am laughing at all this camel talk.... I can't find the DVD right now... but one of my younger daughter's first "big" jobs was as the voice of three camels on the kid's cartoon show, Go Diego Go! I will try to find the DVD tomorrow and upload part of it so you can hear her making the sound of camels and "talking" as them!!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

  12. #12
    Старший оракул Seraph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Onomatopoeia

    Хохотать.
    Гоготать.
    хихикать. ???

  13. #13
    Почтенный гражданин Misha Tal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tehran, Iran
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    7
    Here's one thing I don't understand:

    The Russian spelling for "Aha!" is "Ага!". How come? "Аха!" would be much closer to the actual sound...

    I guess most Russians can say "h", even though the consonant doesn't exist in their language.
    "If in the end, Misha, you are destined to lose this game, there is no need for the reason to be cowardice!"

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Tal View Post
    Here's one thing I don't understand:

    The Russian spelling for "Aha!" is "Ага!". How come? "Аха!" would be much closer to the actual sound...

    I guess most Russians can say "h", even though the consonant doesn't exist in their language.
    I think most Russians pronounce "voiced х" sound here. In standard Russian letter "г" mostly denotes "voiced к" sound but in South Russian pronunciation as well as in Ukrainian accent (rather common) this letter is pronounced as "voiced х" sound. Moreover, even in standard Russian letter "г" in some words (like interjections "Ага"=Aha, "угу"=uh-huh, "Ого"=wow) in fact is pronounced as "voiced х".

    So "voiced х" sound is usually associated with letter г, not х.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

  15. #15
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    6
    The word onomatopoeia doesnt just mean a word that denotes a sound. It is a literary term and means a word chosen by a poet to create an image. It is often used with 'alliteration' where the poet chooses words that all start with the same letter. ' the babbling brook bubbled below' instead of 'the sound of the stream could be heard below'

  16. #16
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    I bet 99% of Russians don't know how camel sounds, or if they make any sounds at all.
    Here:


  17. #17
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    13
    Вот пуля пролетела - и ага.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

  18. #18
    Почётный участник lemoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Афины
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    6
    Может быть и глаголы "ойкать - ойкнуть" ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary