Thread: Les Bienveillantes

Les Bienveillantes

This book written in French by an American on the eastern front of the WWII is just SHOCKING, BREATHTAKING and PAINFULLY BEAUTIFUL.

It got 2 the most pretigious FRENCH prizes of litterature. There are russian words in it, and ukrainian. It is the story of a SS officer. Ah yea it is 900 pages

So????
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    So????
    Лучше не "So?", а "Спасибо" за информацию о хорошей книге. Мне, правда, придётся подождать, пока появится её русский или английский перевод.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Властелин
    Speaking of good books, I would really like to read a book by Viktor Frankl (not sure that I'm spelling his name correctly). He was a psychiatrist supporting Freid's theory at the beginning of his psyciatric carreer but later on he changed his outlook. The thing is he was Jewish and was a prisoner of a Nazi death camp. While in the camp, he went through a very difficult time and saw a lot of violent killings. Once when he was still in the death camp, he realised that despite all the torment he had to suffer, he still had freedom inside himself. Little by little, that new feeling overwhelmed him, resulting in a dramatic change of his life philosophy. His new outlook on life was as follows: "I have internal freedom that you no one can change but me. I have the freedom of choice". Luckily, he was not killed in the camp and once freed, he wrote a book called "Man's Search for Meaning", in which he gave an explanation of that new outlook.

The most amazing thing is I haven't read this book yet but I really want to. The desire to read the book came while I was reading Stephen Covey's book called "The 7 habits of highly effective people". I don't know why but I think it's [Man's Search for Meaning] a very good read. Has anybody read this book?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    So????
    Лучше не "So?", а "Спасибо" за информацию о хорошей книге. Мне, правда, придётся подождать, пока появится её русский или английский перевод.
    That's charlstonian's habit.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Speaking of good books, I would really like to read a book by Viktor Frankl (not sure that I'm spelling his name correctly). He was a psychiatrist supporting Freid's theory at the beginning of his psyciatric carreer but later on he changed his outlook. The thing is he was Jewish and was a prisoner of a Nazi death camp. While in the camp, he went through a very difficult time and saw a lot of violent killings. Once when he was still in the death camp, he realised that despite all the torment he had to suffer, he still had freedom inside himself. Little by little, that new feeling overwhelmed him, resulting in a dramatic change of his life philosophy. His new outlook on life was as follows: "I have internal freedom that you no one can change but me. I have the freedom of choice". Luckily, he was not killed in the camp and once freed, he wrote a book called "Man's Search for Meaning", in which he gave an explanation of that new outlook.

The most amazing thing is I haven't read this book yet but I really want to. The desire to read the book came while I was reading Stephen Covey's book called "The 7 habits of highly effective people". I don't know why but I think it's [Man's Search for Meaning] a very good read. Has anybody read this book?
    Freud's theory
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Re: Les Bienveillantes

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan
    This book written in French by an American on the eastern front of the WWII is just SHOCKING, BREATHTAKING and PAINFULLY BEAUTIFUL.

It got 2 the most pretigious FRENCH prizes of litterature. There are russian words in it, and ukrainian. It is the story of a SS officer. Ah yea it is 900 pages
    Mordan -

sounds great - where did you get that book? Maybe name the author too, it'll be easier to look out for it...

Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Ty
    Почётный участник
    I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened. -Mark Twain