Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ipad Russian/English dictionary

  1. #1
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Ipad Russian/English dictionary

    Hello,
    Anyone using any? I downloaded some of the free ones but none have the ability to translate from the clipboard. Collins and Oxford say they can. Any opinions?


    Thank you,

    Scott

  2. #2
    Властелин Valda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Израиль
    Posts
    1,294
    Rep Power
    10
    ...have the ability to translate from the clipboard.
    You mean you can copy/paste to it?

    Anyway, Google Translate surely has an app for ipad. You have to be connected though.
    "Особенно упорно надо заниматься тем, кто ничего не знает." - Като Ломб

    "В один прекрасный день все ваши подспудные знания хлынут наружу. Ощущения при этом замечательные, уверяю вас." -Кто-то

  3. #3
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    5
    You might also want to consider ABBYY Lingvo, Russians seem to love that thing, and it does look nice. I have the Oxford dictionary. You can paste words in the search field if that's what you mean? It has nice grammar tables for each word, and audio of a native speaker saying most words. I'm pretty happy with it. If you're looking to translate sentences, it can't do that.

  4. #4
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    I read a review of Oxford and it said when in Oxford and switching to another app then back to Oxford that the dictionary is not where you left it. True? Also, I have the Abby Lingvo for windows and love the feature that I can highlight a word and hit ctrl-c c and then the dictionary comes up with the definition of the word. How does the Oxford compare to that?

    Thank you!

    Scott



    Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
    You might also want to consider ABBYY Lingvo, Russians seem to love that thing, and it does look nice. I have the Oxford dictionary. You can paste words in the search field if that's what you mean? It has nice grammar tables for each word, and audio of a native speaker saying most words. I'm pretty happy with it. If you're looking to translate sentences, it can't do that.

  5. #5
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    I have google translate - see my reply to Hotdog for what I'm looking for.

    Thank you!

    Scott



    Quote Originally Posted by Valda View Post
    You mean you can copy/paste to it?

    Anyway, Google Translate surely has an app for ipad. You have to be connected though.

  6. #6
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    5
    That's true, when you switch the app it goes back to the main screen. There's a list of the last 100 things you looked at which makes it pretty easy to go back, though I don't find myself using it that much.

    Do you mean that you can copy something in any application and Lingvo will pop up a translation? That is pretty cool! I don't think that's possible with iOS, but there are some apps that let you do that with Safari only. Look up "safari translate" in the app store. I haven't tried them personally.

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    In windows highlight the word then hit ctrl-c c
    and Lingvo will look it up. Will consider "safari translate" but need to look up words in email, facebook etc.

    Thank you,

    Scott

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    Using the Oxford iPad dictionary while in say a browser. What do you do to look up a word? I can copy and paste now to a free dictionary. How is Oxford or and other dictionary different?

    Thank you,

    Scott

  9. #9
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    Using the Oxford iPad dictionary while in say a browser. What do you do to look up a word? I can copy and paste now to a free dictionary. How is Oxford or and other dictionary different?

    Thank you,

    Scott

  10. #10
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    It's not a dictionary but a great translator ipad app. It's called online-translator.com and will translate text from the clipboard. For now using the free version but will upgrade to the plus version. It only $2.99. Still looking for a dictionary for the ipad though.

    Scott

  11. #11
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    I did update to the plus version. Big help reading the jokes section. Also, bought Lingvo for Ipad:

    Lingvo Dictionaries: English ‹-› Spanish, French, German, Italian Dictionary Titles by ABBYY

    for $4.99 plus tax. Only downloaded the free dictionary. Will decide if need to buy more. It does accept input from the clipboard and stays in the same state when switching to another app and back. So far, I like it.

    Scott



    Quote Originally Posted by fortheether View Post
    It's not a dictionary but a great translator ipad app. It's called online-translator.com and will translate text from the clipboard. For now using the free version but will upgrade to the plus version. It only $2.99. Still looking for a dictionary for the ipad though.

    Scott

Similar Threads

  1. Where Can I buy Russian iBook for iPad?
    By junomaster in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM
  3. best english-russian-russian dictionary around
    By possopo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
  4. WHICH ENGLISH-RUSSIAN ELECTRONIC DICTIONARY IS THE BEST?
    By Bedokyr in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
  5. A downloadable English-Russian dictionary.
    By atreides8080 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: July 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary