Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How The Travel Channel Shows Russia to Americans

Властелин

Re: How The Travel Channel Shows Russia to Americans

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    I'd say to those who watch American TV -- be very careful before you believe what is said about ANY countries in Europe, but particularly Russia.

I was in a state of total shock after spending a few hours watching a US domestic channel called Fox News in a hotel room on a business trip. What was shown was some kind of surreal alternative universe which contained some grains of truth but were skewed, sensationalised and laced with political messages. It made me (finally) understand why Americans support foreign policy decisions that most Europeans would disagree with.
    Oh please. Are you going to say NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times are not skewed? If I watched a TV channel and was in a state of total shock, I would change the channel. Call me funny. Maybe in Europe it's normal to have slanted news - I've never been there. To me, as a conservative citizen of the USA, if you consider FOX News skewed, maybe you are getting your new from a slanted source. To me they are the fairest ones out there. I do not rely on just FOX News and do not see at all your statement "What was shown was some kind of surreal alternative universe which contained some grains of truth but were skewed, sensationalised and laced with political messages.". Please enlightenment me with details. (Most liberals when confronted spew insults, curses, and never answer the question, but say that they are tolerant. Please spare me.) If you have news outlets that I should be getting my news from please share them with me.

Scott

Властелин

Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    New show on 'Animal Planet' network, 'Wild Яussia', a nature program. I have to keep the motel lobby's TV on "non-offensive" shows. I ran across 2 the other night, Primorye and Caucasus regions. Great film work and some stunning scenery. My "Russian kids" were happy to watch and we talked about nature shows (it was a slooooow night). I always liked these shows. Some video links : http://animal.discovery.com/videos/wild-russia-videos/
    Nice, just set my DVR for a season pass for this show.

Thank you!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by fortheether
    New show on 'Animal Planet' network, 'Wild Яussia', a nature program. I have to keep the motel lobby's TV on "non-offensive" shows. I ran across 2 the other night, Primorye and Caucasus regions. Great film work and some stunning scenery. My "Russian kids" were happy to watch and we talked about nature shows (it was a slooooow night). I always liked these shows. Some video links : http://animal.discovery.com/videos/wild-russia-videos/
    Nice, just set my DVR for a season pass for this show.

Thank you!

Scott
    Animal Planet is my favourite channel. As for the news - it's an article of faith - YOU DO NOT WATCH TV NEWS! Never. Not for any reason. Regardless of country. News can be found in Internet. I've got a label attached to my TV stating: "Там враг!" (There is enemy out there!).
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Okay, so I figure a little turnaround is fair play! How Americans View Themselves!! At least we have a good sense of humor! Is there anyone from Cleveland on the forum (or Detroit???)? I have been there before and I don't even remember what it was like.

Make certain you watch BOTH videos and if you want to laugh even harder, read the comments that are posted on YouTube by viewers.

The Cleveland Tourism Board gave me 14 million dollars about 8 months ago to make a promotional video to bring people to Cleveland. As usual, I waited till the last minute and I ended up having to shoot and edit it in about an hour yesterday afternoon. I probably should have invested more time.
    [video:3opnoxby]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY[/video:3opnoxby]

So The Cleveland Board of Tourism was not happy with the first video that I turned in. In fact, they said that upon viewing it, three of the board members moved away. They insisted that I turn in a proper Cleveland tourism video, otherwise they will pursue litigation. So I was really planning on buckling down and giving it my all this time, but there was a "Rock of Love" marathon on VH1 last night that I didn't want to miss, so I cranked this video out in even less time than the first one. Roughly 35 minutes total.
    Despite this, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, and I think they will be too.
    [video:3opnoxby]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM[/video:3opnoxby]
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna

@rockzmom
    Yeah, Cleveland! I am sure it is/was famous for something?
    But I guess the jobs moved abroad, huh? I hope they can find a new way forward for the city.

I read about some similar extreme cases in Russia - remote cities that were supported by USSR policies, but became ghost towns when the state no longer supported them.

[video:1byanmnb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4[/video:1byanmnb]

How New Yorkers view the USA:
    http://www.break.com/pictures/how-new-y ... 62297.html

Unfortunately, most Americans aren't too interested in geography. I never understood why. I love maps, have quite a few old nautical charts on my walls, a wold map behind my computer and a recent atlas at my feet.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

How New Yorkers view the USA:Unfortunately, most Americans aren't too interested in geography. I never understood why. I love maps, have quite a few old nautical charts on my walls, a wold map behind my computer and a recent atlas at my feet.
    capecoddah, that map is sooooooo true! I see a great new thread here.. the REAL "Maps of the World"

You know, if there had been more maps like that one and Ramil's, I might have actually been interested in geography when I was in school.
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

My mom always asks me to get a copy of the airport magazine for her when I am, duh, at the airport. So, when I was there at 3:20 in the morning I actually remembered and was surprised to see on the cover "MOSCOW, Spirited City." I filpped through the pages to find the article and was taken aback when I saw the opening lines...
    Vodka, that clear, no-nonsense spirit, is known the world over as Russia’s national drink. I grasp the delicate glass—this won’t be my first shot of the evening or, it turns out, my last—and toast my companion, Denis, before bringing the liquid to my lips. But this time I don’t try to savor it. I do what Denis has been coaching me to do all evening: I just drink it. It rolls down my throat.

“Balsa wood,” I say. “It tastes like the forest.” Bite of blini, sip of fresh beer. He nods. “Yes!” he says. “That’s true!”

This vodka tastes like birch groves. All of this registers because I have stopped trying to hold it in. You can’t analyze vodka. You can only experience it, and let it work on you.
    The next blue header is titled "Historical Hangover", then ""Cultural Cocktail" and finally ""Power Shot".

Is that really all there is to Moscow? Vodka, caviar and hangovers? Is this how "you" want your city to be promoted?

Here is a link to the article http://www.washingtonflyer.com/artic...pirited%20City

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12