Thread: Hello

Новичок

Hello

Hello all,

I am new here I hope to learn some Russian by your help.

I do not know any Russian yet! I am 28. What is the fist thing should I do to start learning Russian?

Cheers...

Завсегдатай
    Probably go to masterrussian.COM rather than .NET :)

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by net surfer
    Probably go to masterrussian.COM rather than .NET
    You can look over masterrussian.com and come to .net to clarify things... a good book to start with is The New Penguin Russian Course by Nicholas J. Brown, buy a dictionary, memorize the Russian letters (this is of utmost importance but you probably know that)... listen to rusradio.ru for some weird but fun music, watch Russian movies and tv shows, listen to Russian music... and TALK TO RUSSIAN PEOPLE... that's what has helped me get better at the language than I was a year ago... Good luck!

Good Luck!
    Letters first http://www.roxana.spb.ru/alf.gif Print a couple copies to put in the Penguin Book and dictionary. I like the Kenneth Katzner dictionary, it's written in American English (no idea where you are from) and it is as complete as can be.

Find a few Russians to talk with. Every summer I get a bunch of "tutors" visiting on a J-1 visas.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Подающий надежды оратор
    I started with Russian like a month ago in evening school. First of all try to read the Cyrillic Alphabet, lot's of words are simple to understand if you can read them. For example:
    трамвай
    компьютер

Подающий надежды оратор
    I began learning Russian recently myself. Start with Cyrillic. It takes some time/effort to get a grasp.

I use resources found on the internet. Google Earth-I set my Google Earth preferences to display place names in Russian. On Google's main page, there is a link "language tools". I use this tool as a translator.

REVISION! I have learned from members of this forum that Google's English to Russian translator can mislead everyone. It is unreliable. Forget it!

Talk with Russians! Geez, I wish I had that opportunity. I don't know any where I live. Pronunciation, dialect, demonstration, are things I lack.

Good luck, enjoy,
    Фишкастр
    Respect is a two way street. This damn car pulls to the centerline! I gotta watch my driving.

Are you really in Missoula?

Подающий надежды оратор
    A River Runs Though It.
    Да, I live in Missoula. I choose to live here with intention. I have moved away, and returned several times. I'm here to stay this time.
    Missoula kicks butt.

Have you been here B4?
    Respectfully,
    Фишкастр
    Respect is a two way street. This damn car pulls to the centerline! I gotta watch my driving.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher
    ...Talk with Russians! Geez, I wish I had that opportunity. ...
    If you want you can talk to me. See PM.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)