Thread: A free site trying to teach ALL languages & wants Russia

Новичок

A free site trying to teach ALL languages & wants Russia

Currently my language education / entertainment trivia games at www.tele3d.com have Russian translations for 43 multi-choice questions and 341 words or phrases. Unfortunately, I did those translations mostly by myself, with the help of online machine translators. So, many translations have some nice built-in translation errors - sorry. But if you spot such translation error, please let me know of those. Or if you like you can go into the http://www.tele3d.com/quiz14X/qcentral/wellcome.html - question database and correct that error yourself

Overall situation is that those tele3d.com trivia games are currently able to teach some Russian, for speakers of over 20 ! other languages. And any Russian speaker is now able to learn basics of any of those over 20 other languages. There probably isn't any other online resource in the world, teaching so many languages using all those languages. And hopefully this is only a start in a path that will come to help many persons who lack a teacher of a foreign language, they really need to learn; including those who need to learn sign languages.

I really would like to find ONE helpful Russian speaker who would be the leader of Russian translations. That single helpful person could probably in one day check my translations and translate the rest of questions into Russian. As a result that person would open a route for 'anyone' to study Russian or any Russian to learn 'any' other language.

If you are interested in participating in such 'mass-translation' project, I would prepare you an excel file with all those English questions/phrases/words clearly marked with empty fields for your valued Russian translations - so that making those translations would be maximally convenient for you.

Currently available education to and from Russian is in the following languages: English , Finnish , Swedish , German , Afrikaans, Romanian, Japanese , Chinese , Portuguese , Norwegian, French, Italian , Spanish , Bulgarian , Czech , Polish , Arabian , Korean , Croatian, Hindi , Dutch, Greek.

Unfortunately many translations into those other languages contain errors, but one by one errors disappear; As I find ONE speaker of each important language – And hopefully that special someone is you

Confused, well go www.tele3d.com and try the games, so you see what I am talking about

Завсегдатай
    Ok, I don't know how to correct existing translations, so I'll post it here.

Question #74
    Which of the following actors was Mr. Forrest Gump?
    Какие из следующих участников был г-н Форрест Гумп?
    Кто из нижеперечисленных актеров исполнил роль Форреста Гампа? (correction)
    + Tom Hanks
    Том Хэнкс
    - Kevin Spacey
    Кевин Спейси
    - Nicolas Cage
    Николас Кейдж
    - Geoffrey Rush
    Джеффри Раш

In short, never translate last names, if you want people to understand whom you're talking about.

Новичок
    Thank you gRomoZeka (& also that kind anonymous person, who seems to be right now busy pointing out those words that need a better translation & to that person who just submitted new word translations & to that person who submitted brand new question translations). You guys are simply great!

How about putting the names this way, I kept the Cyrillic spelling, but added the English spelling within the parenthesis? After all I worked hard in finding translations for those names... So it became
    Question 74
    Том Хэнкс (Tom Hanks)
    Кевин Спейси (Kevin Spacey)
    Николас Кейдж (Nicolas Cage)
    Джеффри Раш (Geoffrey Rush)

ah now the system is beeping at least the following translations are not correct... So, what would be the better translations?

Question 872
    weight (being property of a thing, can be heavy or light)
    -->веса

Question 875
    wet (as being opposite to dry)
    -->мокрая

Question 879
    which (as in: Which one of those ten cars?)
    -->которая

Question 886
    you (singular) (i.e. one person, as in, did you drive the car?)
    -->тебя

Question 887
    your (refers to a property of a single (male) person)
    -->твое

Once again, thank you very much. And if you want to edit those questions/errors directly in a database. Just click/vote 3 (or 4 ) times for removal of a certain question/translation, and the question will automatically open for edition.

Завсегдатай
    You're welcome.
    Question 872
    -->вес
    Question 875
    -->мокрый
    Question 879
    which (as in: Which one of those ten cars?)
    -->который
    Question 886
    -->ты
    Question 887
    your (refers to a property of a single (male) person)
    -->твой

Question 887 is a bit tricky, because "your" in Russian changes it's form depending on the gender of the object in question, and not on the gender of its owner. So the note "male person" is redundant, but it may beuseful to denote the gender of the object.

For now I put everything in masculine, because it's listed in the dictionaries that way.

Новичок
    Question 887 is a bit tricky, because "your" in Russian changes it's form depending on the gender of the object in question, and not on the gender of its owner.
    Ah, I didn't see that coming. It seems that most languages have some built-in `specials`. well, I imagine razor being a masculine item almost everywhere. So, I changed the English description into:

Question 887:
    Your (refers to property of a single (male) person e.g. a razor)

Or would one of these be better?
    Your (refers to some masculine-type property of a single (male) person)
    Your (refers to some macho-item property of a single (male) person)

Also the following have been voted down for repair...
    Question 814
    young (as being not old)
    молодых

Question 871
    week (as being 7 days)
    недели

Any guesses, how should those be corrected

And for 'anonymous' for fixing 'the rickets'-question ( I was a bit worried if that correction script was working properly) and for You fixing the words and for another you adding more questions. Honestly, I have difficulties in keeping up with your pace - but I love it

Speaking of love I assume you guys will attract an astronomical amount of warm thoughts during the Russia's 'day of love'. And as a proof of that, TV is then likely to have shocking news about the melting arctic

Почётный участник
    Where is the stress in нижеперечисленный?

Quote Originally Posted by ZelyeUrsuli
    Where is the stress in нижеперечисленный?
    нижеперечИсленный

Почётный участник
    Oh, good. I guessed right!

Thanks for the response.

Новичок
    And the following translations have been voted down for repair...
    (Question 814)
    young (as being not old)
    молодых

(Question 871)
    week (as being 7 days)
    недели

So, how should those be corrected ?

( gRomoZeka's avatar should be classed as hypnotic Rolling Eyes )

Barwasp -

I've been to your site and entered some of the Dutch questions/answers.
    It's a pity you don't have a "correction" option - so you'll just have to do it yourself : "Waar is X gelegen?" sounds oldfashioned and pompous. It would be a construction usually used by the slightly less intelligent, trying to sound intelligent....
    If you change them all to "Waar ligt X", it sounds much better.

Sorry I can't help with the Russian - my Russian is simply not good enough...
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Новичок
    BabaYaga

Thanks, I decreased the pompousness of the location questions as you instructed

Well, actually the database does allow anyone to edit those questions. The system is build so that the questions re-open for editing when a question's quality rate drops below -3 or -4 (down from 0) - just down rate the same question few times and it will open One reason for implementing such protection barrier are the search engine bots. They just go wildly around and keep 'pressing' every possible link or button they find.
    AND a big to you. You have translated two dozen questions today Wow and it seems quite possible that that in 6 months or so, anyone who speaks any of the worlds top ~15-20 languages are able to use the system for practicing any other of those key languages. All that is needed is 15-20 language leaders, that prepare and lock each language.
    BabaYaga I can't resits asking this, but would you like to be the leader of the Dutch language section? The project is generally good and you would basically be teaching Dutch for 'the world'. And at the same time as you open a door for all Dutch speakers to practice for example Russian. And read my lips , if someone wants an equivalent list of existing and missing Russian questions, I'd be 100% happily preparing that one too.

ps. The games will soon have questions with sound samples that go along with the written questions. First languages with sounds will be Finnish and Swedish; at the end of August.