Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: "Folk" Etymologies of Russian Words like ЛЮБОВЬ(ЛЮДИ БОГА ВЕДАЮТ)- what do you think?

Подающий надежды оратор
    Throbert, excellent post. You know more about the etymology of English and Russian words than I do - I didn't know that the connection between altar and altus was false.
    I don't think Sibiryak is trolling - that would be a lot of effort to put into a troll post, and either way, I've met plenty of Russians in Russia who legitimately believe in this kind of thing.
    Yulia65 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRWayne View Post
    Throbert, excellent post. You know more about the etymology of English and Russian words than I do
    Believe me I didn't know all the details off the top of my head! I can remember that my high school Latin teacher was always telling us to beware of ложные друзья like "to occupy" and occupare, and he once gave us the example of "altare does not come from altus" to show that these false cognates can occur even within the same language. But I had to look up -- just now, when I was writing my post -- what the real etymology was.

And for my part, I had no idea that Arabic al-maas was related to Greek adamos -- I assumed that maas was native to Arabic. But it makes sense now that I think about it, because medieval Arabs translated such an enormous number of ancient Greek manuscripts, and it would hardly be surprising if some medieval scribe mistook the Greek negative prefix a- ("not") for the Arabic article al.

P.S. The Latin occupare can indeed mean "to occupy", but only in the specific sense of "annexation by military siege". So it's a false-friend in other senses.
    Yulia65 likes this.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    And for my part, I had no idea that Arabic al-maas was related to Greek adamos -- I assumed that maas was native to Arabic. But it makes sense now that I think about it, because medieval Arabs translated such an enormous number of ancient Greek manuscripts, and it would hardly be surprising if some medieval scribe mistook the Greek negative prefix a- ("not") for the Arabic article al.
    I actually didn't know this either (and it could be wrong) - I found it on Wiktionary. That is where I usually go for quick etymology references, since it usually draws from reputable sources like Vasmer.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRWayne View Post
    I don't think Sibiryak is trolling - that would be a lot of effort to put into a troll post
    To make my meaning more clear, I didn't intend to say that the entire post was a troll -- I was reacting to Sibiriak's apparent suggestion that the Internet slang «ник» has the smallest bit of connection to the -ник in "тайник"! (After all, the correct etymology is not a matter of much mystery or controversy --the Runet term was borrowed directly from the already-existing English computer slang "nick," which was in use on dial-up forums like Compuserve and AOL even in the late 1980s, before there was a World Wide Web. The computer slang "nick," in turn, was a shortening of "nickname," which has roots all the way back to Old English.)

Admittedly, I also found it a bit strange that a native Russian speaker would "break" the word тайник into тай/ник (i.e. instead of тайн/ик or possibly тай/н/ик ). And even if one divides it as тай/ник, the first part has a rather obvious connection to the verb таить -- a pan-Slavic term which has denoted the concept of "secrecy" since ancient times. So if you're a native speaker of a Slavic language, there's no need to go looking for "evidence" that тай- really means "место, местность", as Sibiriak suggested. (On the other hand, there is some evidence that this Slavic root meaning "secret, mysterious, hidden" is linked with an ancient Hindustani root meaning вор, "thief".)

It reminded me just a bit of a quotation from Mr. Mrs. Garrison on South Park: "Darwin's godless theory of so-called evolution states that a long time ago, a fish had butt-sex with a squirrel and gave birth to a retarded fish-squirrel, and the retarded baby fish-squirrel grew up and had sex with a monkey. Which means that you kids are the retarded offspring of gay monkeys who had butt sex with mutant fish-squirrels."

P.S. Mind you, EVERYTHING sooner or later reminds me of a quotation from South Park.

Mark: I know essentially zero about Arabic, but a friend who's "natively bilingual" in English and Arabic once explained to me that Arabic is so overwhelmingly based on "triconsonant roots" that when you encounter an Arabic word-root with more than three consonants (like shawarma, a.k.a. "doner kebab" or "gyros", with the four consonants SH-W-R-M), or only two consonants, it's usually safe to bet money that the word is of non-Arabic origin. (There's only a tiny handful of native Arabic roots in which the number of consonants isn't three.) Since maas, "diamond", has only two consonants, that could support the idea that the word was actually a corruption of a borrowed Greek term. (And the word shawarma, incidentally, was borrowed into Arabic from a Turkish verb meaning "rotate.")

P.S. My Arabic-speaking friend also happened to be an ex-Muslim apostate/atheist, so his short explanation about triconsonant roots related more broadly to the significance of non-Arabic borrowings in the Koran. Suffice to say that some non-Muslim scholars have pointed to such borrowings as evidence that certain passages in the Koran may have been "plagiarized" from Christian or Jewish source texts.

A more serious comment for Sibiriak:

И я вас уверяю ничего напоминающего золотистые оттенки у нас в регионе нет
    Ну, знаете, на Красной площади почти ничего красного цвета нет (за исключением, конечно, Государственного исторического музея).

Гренландия (от Grœnland, букв. "Зелёная земля") с далекой древности покрыта льдом и не зеленеет! (Название острова было "средневековый пиар" типа --здесь green означает "плодородный").

И о так называемом "Чёрном море" я предложу, что следует изменить название на "Сине-голубо-зелёноватое море".

Нечего и говорить, что «Золотое правило», в действительности, не золотистое по цвету -- ведь у абстрактных понятиях цвета нет. Однако, в многих культурах, золото символизирует "благородный" или "высококачественный" или "красивый" и т.п.

И нельзя подумать, что древние жители региона Алтай не понимали, что такое "метафор"!

Короче, если допустим, ради обсуждения, что топоним Алтай действительно восходит к тюркскому или монгольскому слову с значением "золото", то надо принимать к сведению, что древние жители употребляли название только в каком-то переносном смысле. К примеру, может быть, что местные племена считали себя "народами благородными, как золото." Или, пожалуй, "на рассвете, наши горы блестят будто как золото".
    Lampada, Yulia65 and MarkRWayne like this.

"Folk" Etymologies of Russian Words like ЛЮБОВЬ(ЛЮДИ БОГА ВЕДАЮТ)- what do you think?

(Офф-топик перенесен в тему "Off-topics. L.)
    ... Почему-то у современных ученых данная наука, стала совсем не наукой и стала заниматься поиском философского камня, и совершенно бредовыми идеями получения золота из других металов! Это я к тому, почему у «ал» значение именно камень!

Quote Originally Posted by Sibiriak View Post
    ... Почему-то у современных ученых данная наука, стала совсем не наукой и стала заниматься поиском философского камня, и совершенно бредовыми идеями получения золота из других металов! Это я к тому, почему у «ал» значение именно камень!
    Off-topic part is moved to Off-topics

Почему?

Ах, даааа! Наверно мой подход не демократичный!

То, что было написано в удалённом Вами посте, было тесно связано с изложенными выше мыслями!

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibiriak View Post
    То, что было написано в удалённом Вами посте, было тесно связано с изложенными выше мыслями!
    А в Вашем сообщении о пирамидах и египтянах не было никакого доказательства о том, что "ал" = "камень".
    Покажите, пожалуйста, почему Ваш вариант вернее, чем предложенный мной вариант, где "ал" = "гора" и "тай" = "связь".

Уважаемые форумчане!!! Можете не отвечать в перенесённой теме, я принципиально не напишу там не одного сообщения. Если вам не интересно дальнейшее общение, можем перестать развивать данную тему, если интересно, то отвечать я буду только тут.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Давайте вернёмся к обсуждению этимологии топонима "Алтай".

Почтенный гражданин MISSFOXYSWEETCHERRY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Mark: I know essentially zero about Arabic, but a friend who's "natively bilingual" in English and Arabic once explained to me that Arabic is so overwhelmingly based on "triconsonant roots" that when you encounter an Arabic word-root with more than three consonants (like shawarma, a.k.a. "doner kebab" or "gyros", with the four consonants SH-W-R-M), or only two consonants, it's usually safe to bet money that the word is of non-Arabic origin. (There's only a tiny handful of native Arabic roots in which the number of consonants isn't three.) Since maas, "diamond", has only two consonants, that could support the idea that the word was actually a corruption of a borrowed Greek term. (And the word shawarma, incidentally, was borrowed into Arabic from a Turkish verb meaning "rotate.")

P.S. My Arabic-speaking friend also happened to be an ex-Muslim apostate/atheist, so his short explanation about triconsonant roots related more broadly to the significance of non-Arabic borrowings in the Koran. Suffice to say that some non-Muslim scholars have pointed to such borrowings as evidence that certain passages in the Koran may have been "plagiarized" from Christian or Jewish source texts.
    Throbert, your knowledge about Arabic sounds very good (while you say you know zero about Arabic)
    But i just wanna add a tiny little thing; that the main word "Adamas" was from Greek orgin, Then it came to "Farsi/Persian" with a new form --> "Mas"
    And Then it went from Farsi/Persian to Arabic with this form --> "Almas"
    However we use 'Almas' mainly in Farsi nowadays, too.
    Throbert McGee likes this.
    Let's Live By The Moment... Cause Together Ain't Promised Forever
    Жить надо так, чтобы тебя помнили и сволочи
    Du Vet Inte Vad Som Kan Hända Innan Aftonen!

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Yulia65 View Post
    Мне кажется, термин "любительская лингвистика" (любительская этимология) - очень подходящий, поскольку противопоставляется профессиональном подходу к исследованию языка.

А вот термин "альтернативная" этимология может создать впечатление о наличии другой, может, даже адекватной и как-либо обоснованной этимологии, и поэтому, мое скромное мнение, не настолько точный.
    Как раз в любительстве нет ничего плохого. В конце концов, мы все в этой теме занимаемся любительской этимологией.

В данном случае, это именно альтернативная лингвистика, потому что её сторонники целенаправленно противопоставляют её общепринятым представлениям. По их, тоже альтернативным, меркам, теория адекватна и даже обоснована.

И вообще, дело не в любительстве. Например, инерцоид в космос запустили типа профессионалы, во главе с целым директором НИИ. А если бы теорию, о том, что "любовь" это аббревиатура от "люди бога ведают" (а если любовь за деньги, то "люди в бога веруют") выдвинул профессиональный лингвист, разве было бы менее смешно?
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

Почтенный гражданин
    Дорогой друг Полуношник,
    Если Вы внимательно перечитаете мой пост, то не найдете в нем противопоставления "любительский/хороший" или отождествления " любительского" с "плохим". Любительский подход противопоставлен профессиональному, вот и все.

А слабые стороны, ошибки и просчеты можно найти и у профессионалов тоже, что Вы и продемонстрировали своим примером о запуске в космос. Но разве это дает основание для обвинения их во лжи, заговорах против русского народа, намеренном Искажении истины, грязном предательстве и пр? (Вопрос не к Вам лично, а в связи с тем, что прозвучало ранее).

А что до Вашего предположения о том, насколько было бы смешно, если бы профессиональный лингвист выдвинул мысль, что любовь происходит от "люди Бога ведают", то такое вряд ли бы произошло. Профессиональные лингвисты могут не всегда не все знать о происхождении каждого конкретного слова, однако в силу профессионализма изберут не свои необоснованные догадки, а кропотливые исследования в истории, морфологии, семантике и этимологии и своего, и родственных языков с тем, чтобы как можно более объективно и аргументированно что-то заявить.

Хорошо бы не сбрасывать со счетов такие ценности, как уважение к труду других людей, снисходительность к ошибкам других в свете их же достижений ---- и требовательность прежде всего к себе.

Banned
    I remembered the Russian satirist Mikhail Zadornov. Posing as a linguist, so he came up with any nonsense. Idiot and pest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12