View Poll Results: Do aliens exist?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    19 67.86%
  • no

    9 32.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Do you believe aliens exist?

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10

    Do you believe aliens exist?

    All this talk about creationism vs. evolutionism makes me wonder what you guys think about aliens...


    Mormons believe God created as many worlds as the sands of the sea, and he put people on all of them which were of course created in his image. (they are all human)

    If you are an evolutionist, then my argument would be that nature repeats itself all over, so naturally if one world exists, then many would exist, and the beings on each planet would resemble those on Earth, with only minor differences.

    It isnt logical to me that only one planet in the entire universe would have life on it. Thats so egotistical, just like when people thought earth was the center of the universe. And in fact many individuals still see themselves as the center of the universe.

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    12
    It's statistically unlikely (to put it mildly) that life exists only on this here planet, but it's just as statistically unlikely that we'll ever know for sure, either way.

    So, that's why I have "Alien Life: Existence of" filed in the same "don't see any point worrying about it" box as "God: Existence of".

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Матун-Чарлстон, Иллинойс.
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    10
    Jesus is an alien.
    No, uhh, seriously...(ALIEN)...
    Yeah, I believe in aliens. I'm actually REALLY afraid of aliens. Have been since I was little and my sister told me I was found under a rock on Mars and that my real alien family was gonna come find me. Not as scared anymore, but loud noises at night still freak me out.
    I come to represent and carve my name within your chest.

  4. #4
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    10
    I think scotcher has put it very well. That's pretty much my view too.

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphyr
    I think scotcher has put it very well. That's pretty much my view too.
    You guys don't care about the whole truth, you only care about what truth you can see?



    (I don't mean that in a snotty way I am just trying to understand the way you think)

  6. #6
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    12
    I wouldn't put it quite like that. I think both questions (Aliens and God) have intellectual merit, they are interesting questions. I simply have no emotional preference as to the answers, and since I will almost certainly never know for sure anyway, I don't see any point in investing the effort it would take to form a preference.

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    10
    I am positive that aliens exist on other planets... With the trillions of stars in our universe alone, there has to be a misc. rock approximately as far away as Earth is somewhere (probably lots of places), and with space extending infinitely, I'd say it's a physical impossibility to not be any other races.
    That being said, I obviously believe in evolution, and not religion, and have a "darwin" fish on my car to prove it! I guess it's kind of a catch-22 to say I don't believe in religion because it can't be proven, when I believe in Aliens without proof, but that's how I am, I guess...
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

  8. #8
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Oh she's a real trouble maker, this Bianccca, posting this topic and all, isn't she?

    Well I gotta say.

    I n the 1970’s some astronomer guy named Sir Frederick Hoyle set out to calculate the mathematical probability of spontaneous origin of life from primordial soup. The equation is 0ne chance in ten to the 50th power. This figure is so big that even if every star had suitable planets around it the universe was still way too small to find extraterrestrial life. So I voted “No” because I don’t think God was reckless enough to have put any other stupid humanoid creatures anywhere else.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Oh she's a real trouble maker, this Bianccca, posting this topic and all, isn't she?

    Well I gotta say.

    I n the 1970’s some astronomer guy named Sir Frederick Hoyle set out to calculate the mathematical probability of spontaneous origin of life from primordial soup. The equation is 0ne chance in ten to the 50th power. This figure is so big that even if every star had suitable planets around it the universe was still way too small to find extraterrestrial life. So I voted “No” because I don’t think God was reckless enough to have put any other stupid humanoid creatures anywhere else.
    Yes, and I've heard people use that to confirm the existance of God. "See how improbable it is for life to exist?? God must have created us..." You can use calculations to "prove" anything.

  10. #10
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    It's statistically unlikely (to put it mildly) that life exists only on this here planet, but it's just as statistically unlikely that we'll ever know for sure, either way.

    So, that's why I have "Alien Life: Existence of" filed in the same "don't see any point worrying about it" box as "God: Existence of".
    HAH! Statistically unlikely that life exists here?

    The earth is ~4500 million years old.

    Life appeared on this planet about 4000 million years ago.

    That's pretty fast considering the life-span of planets. Either life evolving here was a probable event, explaining why it happened so quickly to our young world, or we are a major fluke. Which do you think is more "statistically" likely.

    Our universe is very large. There are other planets with similar atmospheric conditions to Earth; of that there is no doubt. The chances that life does not exist on at least some of those planets is quite low considering what we know.

    I'm not saying that there'll be human-like things walking around, but single-celled organisms? You better believe it.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    11
    I voted no. I really wanted to click on the "no opinion" button but could not find it.

    Maybe there are, maybe there are not.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  12. #12
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I n the 1970’s some astronomer guy named Sir Frederick Hoyle set out to calculate the mathematical probability of spontaneous origin of life from primordial soup. The equation is 0ne chance in ten to the 50th power. This figure is so big that even if every star had suitable planets around it the universe was still way too small to find extraterrestrial life. So I voted “No” because I don’t think God was reckless enough to have put any other stupid humanoid creatures anywhere else.
    Hoyle is dated. During the last two decades the 'primordial soup' theory has not fared very well.

    "Rocks of great antiquity have been examined over the past two decades and in none of them has any trace of abiotically produced organic compounds been found...Considering the way the pre- biotic soup is referred to in so many discussions of the origin of life as an already established reality, it comes as something of a shock to realize that there is absolutely no positive evidence for its existence." --Michael Denton



    edit: BTW Biancca, are you Mormon?

  13. #13
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    It's statistically unlikely (to put it mildly) that life exists only on this here planet, but it's just as statistically unlikely that we'll ever know for sure, either way.

    So, that's why I have "Alien Life: Existence of" filed in the same "don't see any point worrying about it" box as "God: Existence of".
    HAH! Statistically unlikely that life exists here?

    The earth is ~4500 million years old.

    Life appeared on this planet about 4000 million years ago.

    That's pretty fast considering the life-span of planets. Either life evolving here was a probable event, explaining why it happened so quickly to our young world, or we are a major fluke. Which do you think is more "statistically" likely.

    Our universe is very large. There are other planets with similar atmospheric conditions to Earth; of that there is no doubt. The chances that life does not exist on at least some of those planets is quite low considering what we know.

    I'm not saying that there'll be human-like things walking around, but single-celled organisms? You better believe it.
    I think you are fundementally missunderstanding what I wrote, probably as a result of failing to notice the word 'only' in my very first sentence.

  14. #14
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    10
    I think you are fundementally missunderstanding what I wrote, probably as a result of failing to notice the word 'only' in my very first sentence.
    You're 100% right. I apologize. I'm an idiot^^.

  15. #15
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    541
    Rep Power
    10
    I am pretty sure that aliens do exist somewhere, Universe is huge.

    At the same time, there is no undoubtful evidence of their visiting the Earth.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

  16. #16
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    I really wanted to click on the "no opinion" button but could not find it.
    I know...I made one when I posted this and it didn't show up. Weird.

  17. #17
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    You may still be able to edit one in.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  18. #18
    uno
    uno is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The uneducated parts
    Posts
    194
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    It's statistically unlikely (to put it mildly) that life exists only on this here planet, but it's just as statistically unlikely that we'll ever know for sure, either way.

    So, that's why I have "Alien Life: Existence of" filed in the same "don't see any point worrying about it" box as "God: Existence of".
    Well speaking of statistics how likely would it be that our universe began with two electrons that had just always existed and randomly slammed into each other and later ended with what we have today. I think the big bang theory is one of the worst scientific theories that we have currently. I would find that the existence of some other planet with alien life would be far more believable and probable than believing the big bang theory. Why then should we give alien believers such a hard time when the majority of us believe in the big bang as the theory of origin?

  19. #19
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by uno
    Well speaking of statistics how likely would it be that our universe began with two electrons that had just always existed and randomly slammed into each other and later ended with what we have today. I think the big bang theory is one of the worst scientific theories that we have currently. I would find that the existence of some other planet with alien life would be far more believable and probable than believing the big bang theory. Why then should we give alien believers such a hard time when the majority of us believe in the big bang as the theory of origin?
    The big bang theory certainly isn't close to as probable as alien life on other planets. I think Stephen Hawkins would be happy to agree with you on that.

    However, I don't think the big bang theory is a bad scientific theory. It's the best we can do right now. Maybe you're expecting too much out of it. It's just supposed to be a 'hey this could possibly have happened' type of thing.

  20. #20
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    10
    Maybe your an alien
    Hi I'm just looking to meet people from around the world and make some new friends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The requested topic does not exist.
    By CoffeeCup in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
  2. The requested users to be added do not exist.
    By sperk in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
  3. Does "schwa" exist in Russian?
    By Welf in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary