Thread: Asian Bird Flu

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Asian Bird Flu

Here is another boring topic for us to ponder. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

The Asian "bird flu" is spreading.

Investigators from Russia's Ministry of Agriculture have confirmed that the deadly H5N1 virus that has already spread to humans (killing some of them) in an alarming number of cases in Asia, has now killed hundreds of birds in one section of the former Soviet Union. According to the AP, in just the last few weeks, hundreds of chickens, turkeys, geese, and ducks have perished in the lake-filled Novosibirsk region of Siberia.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    What do you give a chicken that has the Flu, people soup??
    Не балуй!

ST
    yeah, some villages near my home town is closed for carantine, and lots of hens was killed. But they saing what this "Flu" doesnt harmful for humans, so we still eating chikekns and eggs... (hope this is not TOP-Secret info )
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I heard that this virus killed three people in Asia some where already.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

ST
    it was wild ducks migrating from Asia, who spreading this "flu". Some hunters reports, where was lots of dead ducks at ponds.
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by ST
    yeah, some villages near my home town is closed for carantine, and lots of hens was killed. But they saing what this "Flu" doesnt harmful for humans, so we still eating chikekns and eggs... (hope this is not TOP-Secret info )
    Just nit-picking.

Yeah, some villages near my hometown are closed for quarantine, and many hens were killed. But they are saying that this "Flu" is not harmful to humans, so we are still eating chickens and eggs...
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

ST
    heh, thanx...I wonder, does someone can understand my English?

Властелин

Re: Asian Bird Flu

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Here is another boring topic for us to ponder. Does anyone have anything to say about this?
    Sure thing. Regular flu (influenza) causes an estimated 250,000-500,000 deaths worldwide each year. As many as 500-1,500 Canadians, mostly seniors, die annually from pneumonia related to flu. The cumulative number of confirmed deaths worldwide caused by Avian Influenza (bird flu) since the end of 2003 is 57, somewhat less than the number of people annually killed by lightning in the US alone. The bottom line: I dont give a rodent's behind.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

ST
    Well, I heard, "influenza", which killed about 1.000.000 of peoples in the beginning of 20-th century, was other modification of "Flu" virus, more powerful and deadly. If it will appear again, even modern drugs and medicine will not help us...

PS. Well, my hometown become famouse now...but I`m not happy about it

DDT
    "It is a matter of urgency," said Roy Wadia, the WHO's spokesman in Beijing. "We stress that this virus is highly unpredictable and versatile and can change any time. It is highly dangerous. All the victims have been infected after contact with birds. The fear is that the virus will mutate into a highly contagious form that could be passed from human to human.
    The fact that migratory birds, previously immune to the H5N1 bird flu virus, died in the recent outbreak is a very ominous sign, experts say, indicating that the virus has mutated.
    http://www.rense.com/general67/hdds.htm

If bird flu develops the ability to be transmitted readily, person-to-person, it promises to follow the lethal lead of the three influenza pandemics of the last century. The worst was the 1918-1919 Spanish flu, which the WHO now estimates sickened roughly one-quarter of the world's population and killed almost 50 million people.
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au
    08.10.2005, 05:43 AM

ALMATY (AFX) - The bird flu virus diagnosed at a poultry farm in northern Kazakhstan at the end of July is of the type H5N1, which is transmittable to humans, the agricultural ministry said, in a statement cited by Interfax-Kazakhstan.
    'According to the Centre for Scientific Agricultural Research of Kazakhstan ... the form of bird flu discovered is type A and sub-type H5N1,' which can be passed on to humans, the statement said.

A list of related links.
    http://www.sars.com.sg/birdflu/bfnews.php

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by ST
    heh, thanx...I wonder, does someone can understand my English?
    You English is very good.

I hope that someday my Russian will be as good as your English.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    "It is a matter of urgency," said Roy Wadia, the WHO's spokesman in Beijing.
    Yeah, absolutely. A good scare provides an excellent budget justification. We don't know what can mutate into something we haven't heard about. Way to go, Roy.

"If bird flu develops the ability to be transmitted readily" Why can't I write @@@@ like that in my proposals?

If gonorrhea becomes airborne how much fun THAT is going to be? HUH? HUH?
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    West
    Siberia outbreak threatens south, Mediterranean

Monday, August 15, 2005; Posted: 9:07 p.m. EDT (01:07 GMT)

MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Russia cordoned off roads and slaughtered hundreds of birds on Monday to contain the advance of a bird flu epidemic toward Western Europe.

The country's top state epidemiologist warned that the bird flu outbreak in Siberia also could spread through Russia's key agricultural areas in the south and then on to the Middle East and Mediterranean countries.

"An analysis of bird migration routes has shown that in autumn 2005...the H5N1 virus may be spread from Western Siberia to the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea," Gennady Onishchenko said in a letter to Russian regional health officials.

The letter was posted on the Web site of the state's consumer rights watchdog.

"Apart from Russia's south, migrating birds may spread the virus to nearby countries (Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq, Georgia, Ukraine, Mediterranean countries) because bird migration routes from Siberia also go through those regions in autumn," he said in the letter.

The outbreak, previously confined to five remote areas of Siberia, has now struck a major industrial region -- Chelyabinsk in the Ural mountains, which separate Asia from Europe.

"All ill and infected birds are being slaughtered there," the Agriculture Ministry said in a statement.

It was unclear whether the virus found in Chelyabinsk was the deadly H5N1 strain that has killed more than 50 people in Asia since 2003 and has hit Russia's Siberia as well as neighboring Kazakhstan and Mongolia since mid-July.

Carried by flocks of wild birds migrating from Siberia to warmer regions, the virus has been steadily moving westward through the regions of Novosibirsk, Tyumen, Omsk, Kurgan and Altai.

Chelyabinsk, separated from European Russia by the Ural mountains and technically still in Siberia, is the westernmost region to have been struck so far.

It lies about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) from the region where the first flu outbreak was reported.

Although no humans have yet been affected, there are fears the disease could spread to humans on the Eurasian landmass, possibly unleashing a global influenza pandemic.

Media reported that roads leading to the infected village of Oktyabrskoye in Chelyabinsk had been cordoned off to prevent the virus from spreading further.

In other affected regions, police boosted road checks, and 400 domestic birds were culled in Chelyabinsk alone to block the virus that has killed more than 10,000 birds countrywide.

Officials said wild birds, increasingly active in August as they prepare to migrate ahead of winter, were to blame.

"Results of epizootic checks have shown that they (migrant birds) are the main source of infection," Ria-Novosti news agency quoted an official with the Novosibirsk state consumer rights watchdog as saying.

There was no word on Monday on the situation in Kazakhstan and Mongolia where bird flu has also been registered along their sprawling borders with Russian Siberia.

Copyright 2005 Reuters.
    Не балуй!

ST
    Well, at least this kind of flu pretty safe for humans. Just imagine, what happens, if this flu was 100% lethal for humans and so rapidly spreading, like regular human flu? Where was a movie, called like "Plague from space", or similar name, about it