Thread: Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Увлечённый спикер

Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist: 30 million copies sold worldwide
    The Alchemist has been published in 150 countries in 59 languages and appeals to a large reading audience, regardless of their age, cultural or religious background.

I bought this great novel two weeks ago, I enjoyed reading it and I thoght that it deserve some discussion!

Quoted from a website:"The Alchemist was recommended as part of the reading curriculum in several schools in countries such as France, Italy, Portugal, Taiwan, Mexico, United States, Spain and more than thirty countries acquired special editions for its students ages between 14 and 17 years. "
    I recommend reading this great book.
    I think:
    The writer is highly talented and gifted one. The way, he controls the sequence of events is so deliberate that sometimes you can not guess what will be the time and location of the next scene. His language is simple but elegant. The novel mixes different cultures, countires, religions and thoughts. He has his own philosophy about life, dreaming, success, and achieving goals.
    the main character "Santiago'" is a normal shepherd which implies that the writer is thinking that normal people's life sometimes can be great enough to take lessons from.

In this novel, I think that Paulo has abnormal way of understanding love. We can see that Santiago is hesitating to commit himself to love and forget about his personal legend.
    santiago was told by the Alchemist that having a dream is more important than fulfilling it. I think this not always correct , he should have told him that the important thing is to give it a try.

I wonder about some things I hope you will help answering them:

1. the Alchemist chose Santiago as his friend not the English man who is the one looking for Alchemist's help?

2. What does the death of the two falcons symbolize? and alos, eating them?
    I become jealous
    of my words when
    i say them to you
    and you like them
    but not me.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Its been a while since I read this book, but it's definately one that should be widely read! If you liked this one, read "Veronika Decides to Die" and and "The Devil and Miss Prym" by Paulo Coehlo - they're even better in my opinion.

Почтенный гражданин
    I read that a few years ago.

It was ok. Entertaining I guess but also pseudo deep.

Почтенный гражданин
    keep in mind that some think this book is utter garbage. at first, i felt stupid not to like it, then, i've read reviews that comforted me.

so you may like it, you may dislike it, but coelho is definitely not a nobel prize candidate.
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Почтенный гражданин
    And who is Nobel prize "material"? then?
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Почтенный гражданин
    ismail kadare maybe.
    my apartment in paris : http://vacation-paris-apartment.com/

Почётный участник
    I love The Alchemist by Coelho. Other titles I recommend are, The Pilmigrage, which is about a pilgrimage to Santiago de Comopostela, and Brida, which is about finding a soul mate.

Every book by Coelho has many symbols and interpretations, which constantly appear in all his works, so I figure out that The Alchemist chose Santiago because the master appears when the pupil is ready, so maybe the Englishman wasn't.

Coelho won't be a Nobel Laureate, and he is not "everybody's cup of tea" but it is better to read Coelho than nothing. He is positive and encouraging.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Couldn't agree more Monichka. I find Coelho refreshing because he constructs messages of love and understanding and raises questions that lead us to consider aspects of spiritual lives in a manner that is beautiful in its simplicity. I love how deatils such as his characters' appearances and descriptions of his settings are unimportant to Coelho, and instead he concentrates on the spiritual aspects of his stories.

The fact that his books have been translated into something like 50 languages is a fair indication of the appeal and readability of his stories.

Новичок
    I loved Veronika! I started the Alchemist, but got busy. I plan to finish it when I get a chance to breathe ;p