Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Greek - Ελλην&a

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9

    Greek - Ελλην&a

    As the only Greek of the forum, I create this thread. If you have any vocabulary or grammar questions about the Hellenic (Greek) language ask them here.
    Греческо - Έλληνας

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    14
    You are not the only Greek on the forum.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  3. #3
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9
    I checked the map and noticed another user called Chrysa living in Athens but haven't seen a post of her in the forum.

    Is there anyone else?
    Греческо - Έλληνας

  4. #4
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    8
    just a quick question:
    how different is moderm Greek from Attic (Ancient) Greek?
    because i take Attic Greek at my school and am quite interested.
    Святые хлопья торца, денщик!

  5. #5
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmatthias
    just a quick question:
    how different is moderm Greek from Attic (Ancient) Greek?
    because i take Attic Greek at my school and am quite interested.
    Ancient Greek and modern Greek are very different. For practical purposes, I would recommend learning them as separate languages: they are separated by millenia of time, indeed.

    Please consider another case for which the same is true: Latin (ancient Italian) and Italian (modern Latin). In the Greek case, the name of the language did not change and the graphic changed too slightly, but the difference caused by the time is the same as in the Latin/Italian case.

  6. #6
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmatthias
    just a quick question:
    how different is moderm Greek from Attic (Ancient) Greek?
    because i take Attic Greek at my school and am quite interested.
    The main body of the language is the same, however they are really a lot of differences in grammar forms and in word meanings. A modern Greek can almost understand an ancient Greek text, even if he was never teached ancient Greek.

    In no way they can considered 2 different language. The Hellenic language is one, however it has many different forms and dialects. I would not recommend you to start learning them both, but if you learn Attic Greek well, then it would be easy for you to learn Demotic Greek.
    Греческо - Έλληνας

  7. #7
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    8
    Sweet. I was always a little confused by it. Because yes, there were many different forms of the Greek language of the centuries. So, if I were to start learning Demotic Greek it would be fairly simple? I have one year of ancient greek down, and i will be taking another at my school.
    Святые хлопья торца, денщик!

  8. #8
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmatthias
    Sweet. I was always a little confused by it. Because yes, there were many different forms of the Greek language of the centuries. So, if I were to start learning Demotic Greek it would be fairly simple? I have one year of ancient greek down, and i will be taking another at my school.
    If you have an advanced experienced in Attic, yes it would be much more simple that if you started to study Demotic from the beggining.

    But I repeat, I would recommend you not to try and study both of them at the same period. Start modern Demotic when you are advanced in ancient Attic.
    Греческо - Έλληνας

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    hey i got a question, can you please translitterate to English the way you say Greek/Greece in your language?
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

  10. #10
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyisme
    hey i got a question, can you please translitterate to English the way you say Greek/Greece in your language?
    Greece: Ελλάς or Ελλάδα (transliterated [b]Ell
    Греческо - Έλληνας

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9
    Thank you that was interesting to know.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

  12. #12
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    8
    [quote=Греческо]
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyisme
    hey i got a question, can you please translitterate to English the way you say Greek/Greece in your language?
    Greece: Ελλάς or Ελλάδα (transliterated [b]Ell
    Святые хлопья торца, денщик!

  13. #13
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmatthias

    Wouldn't the initial epsilons have a rough breathing. So, Greece would transliterate as Hellada not Ellada?
    If you read it with an English accent, yes. The H is necessart for the best pronounciation. But as I told I wrote them phonetically.
    Греческо - Έλληνας

  14. #14
    Почтенный гражданин Winifred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    7
    I'm going to Greece with my 12 year old son for a couple of weeks. I've studied a few phrases, and have a few more days. Is there anything I should absolutely know?? Thanks!
    Correct my Russian, please! Пожалуйста, исправьте мои ошибки!

    Помогите мирy oдним щелчком ! Help the world with one click!
    http://www.thehungersite.com/clickTo...s_home_sitenav

  15. #15
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    THESSALONIKI
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Greek - Ελλην&a

    no y just have to learn how to say hi,thanks etc......

    greeks are very friendly and y are not going to have any problem....


    ε Греческо απο ποια πολη εισαι?βασικα μηπως ξερεις ποσσοι ελληνες ειμαστε στο forum?

  16. #16
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Greek - Ελλην&a

    Γειά σας, παιδιά!!!
    Είμαι από τη Ρωσία και σπουδάζω την ελληνική γλώσσα!

  17. #17
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    athens , greece
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Greek - Ελλην&a

    καλησπερα!!!!ειμαι ελληνιδα και μαθαινω ρωσικα!!

Similar Threads

  1. Greek
    By archeria in forum Greek language
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2014, 05:08 AM
  2. Greek language.
    By Konstantinos in forum Greek language
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
  3. Anyone interested in Greek??
    By katerinaG in forum Greek language
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 31st, 2010, 05:06 AM
  4. Greek
    By TATY in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 11th, 2006, 02:57 AM
  5. Greek Gods
    By Knave in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2004, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary